Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Tyler's at it again

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2007, 2:20 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
Maybe he asked to be shot to escape working with that ghastly Street-Porter woman. If I ever had to sit next to her on a plane, I'd ... [CENSORED].

/MHL
Well I suggest you tell her this:

Since the 1980s there has been a men's bath house/sauna on Porter St in Prahran, a suburb of Melbourne. For obvious reasons, though I never knew why until I moved to London and saw JSP on TV, everyone calls the establishment "Janet's", as in "Guess who I saw at Janet's last night!" or "Fancy taking in the vapors at Janet's?".

James (whose never been to Janet's).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Actually Tyler's attack on WHSh!te was entirely justified in my opinion. Not only are their stores overpriced on practically anything they control the pricing on, but is it really beyond the operator of the majority of the world's busiest international airport's newsstands to stock more international publications than can be counted on the fingers of one hand?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone seen a copy, or found anywhere in London that stocks it? Like VC10 Boy I am keen to get my hands on some copies.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 6:11 am

Actually their site says it launches tomorrow.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 8:03 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Has anyone seen a copy, or found anywhere in London that stocks it? Like VC10 Boy I am keen to get my hands on some copies.
Don't forget to update us about the best moisturiser in the market, once you have perused thru it.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:12 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
OK everybody I have found a dealer.

The ground floor of Waterstones in Piccadilly (the old Simpsons building) have a supply.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Actually their site says it launches tomorrow.
I did try saying that until someone corrected me and said they'd bought a copy 3 days ago. Clearly a step ahead of Tyler...

Surely it must be on sale in some of those obnoxious emporia in Marylebone High Street too... (given that Monocle world HQ are in the immediate vicinity)
Old Feb 14, 2007, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy

The ground floor of Waterstones in Piccadilly (the old Simpsons building) have a supply.
Tomorrow's guilty purchase.
Old Feb 15, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: Muccihood de la Rotisserie Doree, BAEC Gold, SAS Eurobonus basic, Ansett Golden Wing :-(
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
I did try saying that until someone corrected me and said they'd bought a copy 3 days ago. Clearly a step ahead of Tyler...
Sorry that might have been my fault, I misread someone saying "it hits the stands this week" in one of the Tyler threads for "it hit the stands this week".

JS
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:43 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
It's on sale now. It's quite bookish, with over 240 pages. They've attracted plenty of good advertisers (Hugo Boss, Audi, Cathay Pacific etc).

I've not read the magazine yet, as I'm saving it for my upcoming trip on QF 30. There is certainly plenty of content to get stuck into.

The lead feature is on the Japanese Navy. The magazine is divided into five sections (Affairs, Business, Culture, Design and Edits). There is also a Japanese manga cartoon at the back.

There is a review of Eos and Silverjet on pages 112-3. Eos receives a rave review. Silverjet is absolutely slated (though it might have been more favourable if the writer had flown LTN-EWR, rather than EWR-LTN).

You will not be surprised to see on page 240 an offer for some Japanese bags which includes a list of what to pack in them!

Last edited by ian001; Feb 15, 2007 at 10:01 am
Old Feb 15, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: EY Platinum
How much does it cost?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 10:00 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by csdf
How much does it cost?
Old Feb 15, 2007, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by krug
Tyler designed the www.newclubworld.com seats, and wallpaper is often on board in F, so it is relevant.
I think his design firm re-did the J cabin, not the seats. Someone has a write-up of the new rag at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eat-the-press/
Old Feb 15, 2007, 3:22 pm

Ah.

Originally Posted by Tyler Brule
Dear Mr. BahrainLad

Due to an overwhelming response to our subcriptions offer there was a temporary setback in the processing of details. To apologise for the delay we have enclosed a complimentary copy of our launch issue.

We thank you for your support and welcome you to Monocle. As ever, we look forward to delivering the best in global affairs, business, culture and design every month directly to your door and browser.

Enjoy.

Tyler Brule
Editor-in-chief.
And very nice it is too.

^
Old Feb 16, 2007, 6:41 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy

And if you're City-based, WHS in Lime St near Leadenhall Market have copies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.