Last edited by moonbeam; Mar 22, 2007 at 12:56 pm
Old Mar 22, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moonbeam
9a i was most upset not what my jet lag wanted
Did you not have a seat pre-assigned?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yes i did but i went to change to an F seat and then i could not change my seat back OLCI

any ideas?

Last edited by moonbeam; Mar 22, 2007 at 3:00 pm
Old Mar 22, 2007, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you have OLCIed, you are probably stuck there. FWIW, seat 9B is still free. They key is to keep going into and out of OLCI without confirming the seat. This way you can wait till the last minute to confirm the seat and PYOBP.

If you're very nice to me, I might let you in row 1.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 4:02 pm

Wow row 1 I can dream
Old Mar 23, 2007, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A nice flight down to NQY today. About 30-40 on board, which isn't bad for the 4th day of the service.

We left LGW a little late, due to the inbound aircraft being very delayed, and putting us on a replacement aircraft. The annoucement was: "we found a spare aircraft somewhere", making it sound like they just happened to find this 737 lying around somewhere.

Anyway, we took off at 1240 (scheduled departure time was 1200), and landed only a little late at 1325.

First impressions were, how narrow the seat was. I had to check this wasn't some deformed seat, by checking the (empty) E and F seats too, but alas they were all the same. It's clearly been some time since I have flown in Y.

Was not expecting much in the way of service, with this being a LGW service. But I must say that this crew seem to have graduated with distinction from the School for Exceptionally Disinterested Cabin Crew. Their chatting was only temporarily interrupted for the announcements and chucking a drink and some snacks at everyone.

Was shocked to receive a pack of Sky Bites Gold. Having never seen these before, is this what is referred to as birdfood? I had no intention of eating anything that looked so vile, and had fortunately just scoffed a mushroom and tomato roll in the F lounge. Still not bad for £9 plus tax I suppose.

Picked up an Avis Car. It's nice to be recognised by the Avis man, who didn't even bother to check my licence or credit card, just hands me the keys. And off I drive, down the A39, which is now named the "Atlantic Highway". Isn't that something to do with Love Shack, Baby?
Old Mar 24, 2007, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surprised to see the NQY flight award 375 miles (125 for discounted domestic, plus 250 tier bonus). Is the tier bonus based on the full 500, not the discounted rate of 125?

This seems a general award of 375 miles for a £9 (+tax fare).

Particularly considering that you only get 8 times as many miles (3116) on a single in J to DME, which costs 100 times as much.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:27 pm

Sky Bites Gold insult of a Complimentary snack

Flight back was some stale sandwich prawn mayo and BLt both vile!!!

But crew from Newquay to Gatwick were great and welcomed all BAEC members indivualy unlike the complacent crew on the trip down!!!

But must add the check in staff at newquay airport were great. I didnt realise the clocks went forward and missed my flight home they got me on the next days flight for free which was nice touch as i was on a discount economy ticket!!!
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Surprised to see the NQY flight award 375 miles (125 for discounted domestic, plus 250 tier bonus). Is the tier bonus based on the full 500, not the discounted rate of 125?

This seems a general award of 375 miles for a £9 (+tax fare).

Particularly considering that you only get 8 times as many miles (3116) on a single in J to DME, which costs 100 times as much.
Hi,

I always get the Gold bonus 250 miles on the non-full fare EDI -LHR flights so the Gold bonus is 50% of the 500mile min ( so for a cheap flight EDI-LHR-EDI I get 250 base miles and 500 gold bonus mies for 750 miles rtn -not too bad)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 28, 2007, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
A nice flight down to NQY today. About 30-40 on board, which isn't bad for the 4th day of the service.

We left LGW a little late, due to the inbound aircraft being very delayed, and putting us on a replacement aircraft. The annoucement was: "we found a spare aircraft somewhere", making it sound like they just happened to find this 737 lying around somewhere.

Anyway, we took off at 1240 (scheduled departure time was 1200), and landed only a little late at 1325.

First impressions were, how narrow the seat was. I had to check this wasn't some deformed seat, by checking the (empty) E and F seats too, but alas they were all the same. It's clearly been some time since I have flown in Y.

Was not expecting much in the way of service, with this being a LGW service. But I must say that this crew seem to have graduated with distinction from the School for Exceptionally Disinterested Cabin Crew. Their chatting was only temporarily interrupted for the announcements and chucking a drink and some snacks at everyone.

Was shocked to receive a pack of Sky Bites Gold. Having never seen these before, is this what is referred to as birdfood? I had no intention of eating anything that looked so vile, and had fortunately just scoffed a mushroom and tomato roll in the F lounge. Still not bad for £9 plus tax I suppose.

Picked up an Avis Car. It's nice to be recognised by the Avis man, who didn't even bother to check my licence or credit card, just hands me the keys. And off I drive, down the A39, which is now named the "Atlantic Highway". Isn't that something to do with Love Shack, Baby?
Hi,

Yes, the skybites gold is the bird seed.

Also the birdseed is now being served on the LHR-EDI run ( the 1515 flight from LHR-EDI on Mon)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
And for those considering a train journey from the West Country, I had the displeasure of travelling on the new FGW train seats last week in F and I wasn't all that impressed. These are mostly in a grey or blue leather, which will be unbearable if the aircon fails, as they were quite warm after a few minutes in the sun even with the AC on. They were also very hard and uncomfortable, no give at all and not very soft, there used to be inches of give on the old ones (and this wasn't due to age or over use it was designed in). You will know when you are going over points/bumps in the track, it will be very obvious.

The recline was poor and I did't feel comfortable in either position, especially as I found myself sliding off the seat when the train pulled out of stations. As I was facing back to travel, it follows that when facing the direction of travel stopping will have you sliding forwards. I wouldn't have been able to sleep in those seats unless sitting diagonally across, and again the armrest doesn't move next to the window meaning you have that digging into your back ans it isn't as soft as before. The lights are far too bright and could do with being dimmed a fair bit, might be better at night, but you could save ships from being smashed on the rocks with the wattage/candlepower those carriages have now. Tt might also have given me the beginnings of a headache, although I don't know if it was that or something else. The toilets have been redesigned and nothing wrong with that, the only bit of concern is the sink is a bit shallow and the potential for embarrasing wet patches is increased.

These are nothing like the old BR seats, and even the soft padding, added by FGW, that was evident as part of the headrest has gone. These are reminiscent of the new seats that GNER stuck in F and I don't recall being too impressed with those when I last used their services, but that was a while ago and I may be wrong.The original redesign of the seats wasn't as bad, as witnessed here and here I wonder why they changed their minds?

The connecting doors didn't shut properly on the carriage I was in and the next one along which had the buffet, meaning it was far noisier than it needed to be. These also looked like they had replaced which suprised me even more that they had failed so early on.

There is at seat power which is a plus point and they have changed the table to a darker wood effect lino type material. The swirly smoke designs have been omited from the end walls (which were present in the mock ups) and the vomit green colour has gone for good, the curtains are a dark shade of blue. They haven't moved the buffet ^ , and it now has a decent coffee machine, although my attempts to try and get a complimentary hot chocolate were stumped by the large queue which meant we were approaching my stop whilst I was still waiting.

The train manager (or guard or whatever they call them) came past & checked my ticket, but then I walked after him to see what standard was like and he stopped at the buffet for a chinwag with the buffet staff, and was still there when I joined the queue later on & never made it into standard at all, so anyone could have sat in standard without a ticket.

For the first time ever I was actually looking forward to getting on a Voyager and continuing my journey, now that IS saying something for me.

Sadly FGW have made a pigs ear of this and it could have been so much better, If you do happen to use this a train fitted with these seats I'd be interested to hear your opinion.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Nov 16, 2007 at 7:07 pm Reason: Typo
Old Apr 17, 2007, 4:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Once off Cost Analysis BA/FR/WOW/the train

I am travelling HKG-LHR-JFK next week and deliberately left the following weekend free to visit family in Cornwall. So did a check of times and prices.

Lowest Up

FR

GBP53.26 plus I would have to pay (5*5.50 for excess baggage-I know mine is 20 KG) plus 1.75 Credit Card fee. Goes out Thur 26th back Mon 30th but late and then have a flight at 10 25 to JFK.

Total GBP 82.51

BA

All in GBP 129.10 Out Fri 27 Back Mon 30

WOW

All in eventually GBP138 but good timings out early on the 27th back early evening 30th

FGW

Saver Return But inconvenient times GBP70
Open Return But Right Times GBP224
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nicc HK
I am travelling HKG-LHR-JFK next week and deliberately left the following weekend free to visit family in Cornwall. So did a check of times and prices.
Don't book FR. Just don't. You would need a full set of back-up plans, for when they don't show up. And getting a hire car at NQY when the plane is cancelled is near to impossible. You will be subject to the whims of the taxi mafia to get you to Truro for the overnight National Express. Nice.

I recommend taking BA down there - that way you get to have lunch in the LGW Terraces or F lounge before the flight.

If the return on BA is too early for you, take WOW, as you're not missing out on any Lounge on the return. But remember that WOW is a LCC. Besides paying up to £100 for a ticket, you will have no advance seat reservation, and that will be £1 for a coke please Sir. Ker-chung. And the WOW crew always seem to look like fisherman's wives in their purple fleeces.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Nicc HK

Lowest Up

FR

GBP53.26 plus I would have to pay (5*5.50 for excess baggage-I know mine is 20 KG) plus 1.75 Credit Card fee. Goes out Thur 26th back Mon 30th but late and then have a flight at 10 25 to JFK.

Total GBP 82.51

BA

All in GBP 129.10 Out Fri 27 Back Mon 30

WOW

All in eventually GBP138 but good timings out early on the 27th back early evening 30th

FGW

Saver Return But inconvenient times GBP70
Open Return But Right Times GBP224
You might want to consider the Sleeper service to either get down there or come back, as you don't then lose half a day travelling. Don't know what your timings are exactly but it might work for you, the train leaves PAD at 23:50 and you get into NQY at 10:02 next morning. there is more info in this thread see post #25 and on FGW website here. Best bet is to pay the £40 for a cabin all to yourself (on top of your ticket price), if you can sleep on a plane then doing so on this shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 17, 2007 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 18, 2007, 2:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Sadly wont be making it, next time

Thanks for the advice. Sadly owing to personal circumstances wont get that break, will visit later in the year.

Done FR on the route and only because it was convenient, and yes they let me down so never again. The premium to be paid for when things go wrong is just not worth it.

Would have gone WOW, better choice of timings and they remind me of Bryon whom I miss.

I looked at the Sleeper Train, and I often prefer this as a travel choice, just went overnight Butterworth to Kuala Lumpur (KMT's trains dont run on time either!), but the website would not allow me to book this online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.