Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA back to Newquay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sunrisegirl

23rd seems a popular day - know there's other FTers heading west on that day!
Hmm. He might like to check the calendar to see who that might be.
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I have never been to either newquay or plymouth!!!

I only really fly ba didnt even know there was a southwest airlines if im honest
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Proud owner of 3 Mucci's (yes, 3!) the latest being Chevaliere des Bains Chauds, BA Silver (6 yrs)
Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Hmm. He might like to check the calendar to see who that might be.
With all these FTers heading to NQY - the LGW staff are going to need to be on their very best behaviour this weekend
Old Mar 18, 2007, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by moonbeam
Im all set for the 23rd. have a blind date

Anyone know if there is a lounge at newquay ?

under £70

no lounge at Newquay!
however the terminal building has been improved quite a bit from when BA last flew to it
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:40 am

Greenpeace are offering anyone on the flight a train ticket tomorrow

Last edited by moonbeam; Mar 19, 2007 at 7:45 am
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm. Swap my trip - with a visit to the F lounge, and a short flight sitting in row 1 - for a filthy train full of pikeys, which terminates at Taunton due to staff shortages. Err no thanks.

See you on board.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:52 am

Lol well true Smirnoff!!!
Old Mar 19, 2007, 5:59 am
vla

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Aegean Gold
Hmm. Swap my trip - with a visit to the F lounge, and a short flight sitting in row 1 - for a filthy train full of pikeys, which terminates at Taunton due to staff shortages. Err no thanks.

See you on board.
Or, just to help your travel plans a bit, you could try the Ryanair service from Stansted, or I suppose in a pinch you could hire a car and head down the M5.

Old Mar 19, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
little bit of info for those of you using the "new" BA service to NQY in the coming weeks/months.

BA obviously doesnt have any ground staff at NQY, everything will be handled i would assume by the only company operating at NQY, which is Serco.

they did however snap up any of the ex BA Nqy staff so some of the check in staff will be familiar from the last time BA operated the route.

NQY does not have any SSCI machines (unless they have been installed since i last used the airport to go to Dublin with WOW about 3 weeks ago) and only a very small amount of check in desks. Bearing in mind that several WOW flights also leave NQY mid afternoon i would suggest that it might be fairly busy in the small check-in area.

Security is very slow, on average i would say that 1 in 2/3 passangers get searched and around 1 in 10 get called back to have their checked bags searched by security .

No exec lounges at NQY

Not brilliant catering land/airside

but all in all, its much better than it was 3 years ago, i hate to say it but Serco arent doing too bad a job running the airport and all the services at it on behalf of CCC (ask anyone in Cornwall about the other services they run here and you will get a different answer!)

hope that everyone enjoys using the route, the more that use it the more chance of keeping it!
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the local news....

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/...entPK=16922339

A Westcountry airport has hit back at environmental campaigners after failed attempts to convert flyers to rail travel.

The debut of a British Airways London-to-Newquay flight saw a demonstration by Greenpeace campaigners who decried the new service and begged air passengers to take the train instead.

But as the wheels of the inaugural flight hit the tarmac at Newquay airport yesterday campaigners were left red-faced when they were told part of the train service to London had been replaced by a bus.
And Chris Cain, project director for the airport, hit back at green protesters when he said: "They have completely ignored the important role the airport and air services play in meeting the travelling needs of Cornish residents and visitors to Cornwall and in supporting the Cornish economy."

Mr Cain also disputed claims made by Greenpeace that air travel is substantially more damaging to the environment than going by train or car.

Greenpeace activists went around travellers waiting to check in for the BA flight and offered to exchange train tickets for their air tickets in order to lessen damage to the environment.

But nobody took them up on the offer, citing speed and reliability as the main reasons.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:06 am

Greenpeace activists went around travellers waiting to check in for the BA flight and offered to exchange train tickets for their air tickets in order to lessen damage to the environment.

But nobody took them up on the offer, citing speed and reliability as the main reasons.[/I]
Dont think it would of taken greenpeace long to go around the travellers!
lgw-Nqy 34
Nqy-Lgw 17
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Strange OLCI experince, not that I've flown a domestic in years though.

Every single seat from row 1 to row 8 is showing as "occupied", also all of row 10 and 14 on the ABC side, and also row 11-12 on the DEF side. So basically the front half of the plane. Strange because at T-24 and a bit, MMB was showing only 5 seats pre-assigned in rows 1,2 3.

Every other seat (the back half of the plane) is available.

Is it normal for the seating people to allocate all the seats at T-24hr, and to fill every seat including B and E seats, leaving the back half of the plane empty?

Last edited by Smirnoff; Mar 22, 2007 at 7:33 am
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Probably a lightly loaded flight blocked out for trim? Did you pre-assign a good seat in advance?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:30 am

Sounds like the front half is blocked off to help the aircraft's weight & balance because of a light load. Quite common on 737s apparently and has been reported here before. You're generally welcome to sit further forward once the seatbelt signs are off though.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Probably a lightly loaded flight blocked out for trim? Did you pre-assign a good seat in advance?
Oh yes, the usual.

I was wondering if they had stuck a Celtic chav in the middle seat, rather than back near the toilets where he belongs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.