LHR T1 Zone @Rse today

Old Dec 11, 06, 7:09 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: London
Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; TG ROP Silver; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1
Posts: 2,928
LHR T1 Zone @Rse today

Very helpfull check in agent urged me to write and complain about the new useless seating policy. Despite wanting to help, the person in question could not explain why I could not have 1A&K on a future flight even though I did have them "reserved" originally. It would seem this new policy is getting the staff down as much as us. I was told that if they change a seat after the boarding card has been they printed they get a rollicking

It took over 30 minutes to get through security - do they ever open the second scanner? It was not even that busy which is why the check in agent had time to try and help with a future booking.

Still no JW Gold in the First lounge - I had the last drop out of a bottle last week and when I asked for more I was told "there would be a new bottle tomorrow". That was last week and still no sign of a new bottle (unless of course all supplies have been consumed in the meantime).

Is LHR and airport with a shopping mall attached or a shopping mall with an airport attached?

Regards

John
johnaalex is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 7:21 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,461
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
Still no JW Gold in the First lounge - I had the last drop out of a bottle last week and when I asked for more I was told "there would be a new bottle tomorrow". That was last week and still no sign of a new bottle (unless of course all supplies have been consumed in the meantime).
Isn't it a bit early in the day to be drinking scotch?
aristoph is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 8:00 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MEL
Programs: QF Plat & LTG, VA Plat
Posts: 1,366
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
Still no JW Gold in the First lounge - I had the last drop out of a bottle last week and when I asked for more I was told "there would be a new bottle tomorrow". That was last week and still no sign of a new bottle (unless of course all supplies have been consumed in the meantime).
Not that long ago it was JW Blue we were complaining about... I can't believe you would settle for a bottle of Gold in the F lounge! Maybe they are waiting for a delivery of Black instead.... sigh.
justin_krusty is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 8:04 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
Last time I flew out Monday morning, it was queued back up the corridor towards the entrance from the street (where the nice man with the machine gun and the alsatian stands). I was told this is normal for a Monday morning.

I have never flown out on a Monday morning since.
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 9:06 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Surrey U.K.
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 418
Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
Last time I flew out Monday morning, it was queued back up the corridor towards the entrance from the street (where the nice man with the machine gun and the alsatian stands). I was told this is normal for a Monday morning.

I have never flown out on a Monday morning since.
Monday morning is always hopeless at LHR... the traffic is also appalling trying to get there.
DocH is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 9:55 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Posts: 3,495
Originally Posted by DocH View Post
Monday morning is always hopeless at LHR... the traffic is also appalling trying to get there.
T1 main security area was queuing all the way down to the domestic check in this morning. Took about 1/2 hour to get through, so not too bad.
irmster is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 10:28 am
  #7  
awm
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: London/New York
Programs: BA Gold
Posts: 228
I arrived at LHR T1 for 0600 this morning, no queue at the F checkin but the security queue was hotting up. A couple of weeks ago I got there for 0630 and it was terrible, traffic backed up along the spur road, queues to the drop off point at T1 and security queues, so I vowed to get up a bit earlier and get there before 0600 - seemed to work over the last few Mondays.

I know I'm going over old ground, but this seating policy is ridiculous. Of the bookings I have with a colleague all of them have had our seats changed and we're split up. When I go to MMB and Seating, even though I can see 3A&C free, I can't move us there, presumably because my colleague isn't gold. Asking at check in if there was any chance of getting seats together, the lady behind the desk printed the boarding cards out and said "you've checked in online, I can't change your seats."

Is this what it's going to be like if I want to go away with my wife? I can pick my seat but she can't, even though we're travelling together and on the same PNR? Come on...
awm is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 10:33 am
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 11,924
Originally Posted by awm View Post
I know I'm going over old ground, but this seating policy is ridiculous. Of the bookings I have with a colleague all of them have had our seats changed and we're split up. When I go to MMB and Seating, even though I can see 3A&C free, I can't move us there, presumably because my colleague isn't gold. Asking at check in if there was any chance of getting seats together, the lady behind the desk printed the boarding cards out and said "you've checked in online, I can't change your seats."

Is this what it's going to be like if I want to go away with my wife? I can pick my seat but she can't, even though we're travelling together and on the same PNR? Come on...
Wrong thread, but yes. That's the new policy.
Smirnoff is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 11:41 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: FRA
Programs: LH, BA, DL
Posts: 625
Originally Posted by johnaalex View Post
do they ever open the second scanner?
According to what a BAA agent told me a couple of weeks ago, no - because BA only pay them to run one scanner.
LH_Fan is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 11:52 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: UK
Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Posts: 12,695
Originally Posted by LH_Fan View Post
According to what a BAA agent told me a couple of weeks ago, no - because BA only pay them to run one scanner.
I must be honest and say I have seen 2 open...once in a blue moon. If BAA are moaning that BA only pay them to open one scanner, perhaps BA should be moaning a bit more at BAA for sending people over from the main terminal security farce, sorry, queue, which BAA are incapable of running properly (yes, just as they are everywhere else) over to Zone R on a regular basis to ease their problems there
G-BOAC is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 12:45 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 13,230
Originally Posted by aristoph View Post
Isn't it a bit early in the day to be drinking scotch?
Hi,

It is never too early to drink a good scotch!

As someone once said, " Somewhere in the world, it is bar o'clock"

Regards

TBS
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 12:59 pm
  #12  
uk1
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 11,969
Originally Posted by awm View Post
I arrived at LHR T1 for 0600 this morning, no queue at the F checkin but the security queue was hotting up. A couple of weeks ago I got there for 0630 and it was terrible, traffic backed up along the spur road, queues to the drop off point at T1 and security queues, so I vowed to get up a bit earlier and get there before 0600 - seemed to work over the last few Mondays.

In the normal zones you have to get there and plant yourself at the entrance to security at 05:00. They are supposed to open it at 05:15. But each day they seem confused as it always takes them to 05:20. This is because they like to play with the zig-zag queue tape design to see how complicated they can make it. If you are first it's tempting to limbo. But if you aren't first ten it'd be bad form because you'd be q jumping.

By now there is already a queue but it seems to me that you have to get the first flight out to get through security relatively unstressed on a Monday morning.
uk1 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 3:33 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: UK
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 736
Originally Posted by awm View Post
I arrived at LHR T1 for 0600 this morning, no queue at the F checkin but the security queue was hotting up. A couple of weeks ago I got there for 0630 and it was terrible, traffic backed up along the spur road, queues to the drop off point at T1 and security queues, so I vowed to get up a bit earlier and get there before 0600 - seemed to work over the last few Mondays.
I think we were there at almost the same time this morning. They did actually open up the second scanner just as I got to the front of the queue, which allowed Ms I'm Going To Barge Past To Join New Scanner Queue In Front Of You But Then Spend Forever Faffing Around to barge past to join the new scanner queue in front of me only to then spend forever faffing around with her stuff. I was caught off guard because I truly believed that the second scanner was just a dummy prop

I find turning up before 0600 to be a reasonably good way of avoiding queues (unlike T2 where there seems to be some sort of perma-queue in operation)

I note they've changed the way that the F checkin merges now - there's a rope barrier preventing you joining right at the front, but you can walk back along it a bit and join there. Except that nobody emerging from F this morning knew what to do and bemusedly wandered back to the tail of the queue. maybe that's the aim, I dunno.
Cargo Cult is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:10 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,774
Originally Posted by LH_Fan View Post
According to what a BAA agent told me a couple of weeks ago, no - because BA only pay them to run one scanner.
BA pay for 1.5 scanners which means that the BAA are able to drop to one machine at quiet periods and have both open when it is busy. Had this been negotiated after August I am sure that BA would have written it's interpretation of a busy time into the contracts. If it is any kind of a ray of light at the end of the tunnel I have seen quite a few new trainee security staff being shown around so the cavalry are coming!!
adrianjc32 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:18 pm
  #15  
TMC
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Programs: United Plat, BA Silver, Marriott LTP
Posts: 819
Both scanners in Zone R were open at 0800 this morning.

Only one open at 1400 - but there was no queue at all then.
TMC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread