OT: Anyone flown Oasis Hong Kong?

Old Dec 10, 06, 9:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE England
Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Posts: 441
OT: Anyone flown Oasis Hong Kong?

I am intrigued to know if anyone has been brave enough to fly Oasis to Hong Kong as yet. I have to go to HK in Feb, and was considering it, but a quick internet search turned up a review on TripAdvisor that is absolutely dire:

Trip Advisor Review:

"I ... found the flight and service appalling. My flight was six hours delayed...they were also unable to adjust the temperature in the cabin whilst we were on the ground...many areas of the cabin had full lighting throughout the flight as the cabin light dimmers were apparently broken...some of the seats wouldn't recline, and I noticed a couple with broken headrests (which had been conveniently taped up with pillows attached?!)...the inflight entertainment and many of the seating lights were also broken."

Not good - but difficult to know the context and/or the accuracy of the comments. I am intrigued to know if anyone has more info.

Looks like it is BA WTP for me as usual.
Dr Dave is offline  
Old Dec 10, 06, 9:24 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: SE1, London
Posts: 21,837
There is a trip report in the trip report forum which might be of use.
Swanhunter is offline  
Old Dec 10, 06, 9:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE England
Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Posts: 441
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
There is a trip report in the trip report forum which might be of use.
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The trip report in the trip reports forum is very positive indeed...but was from the inaugural flight. The trip report on TripAdvisor is much more recent, and suggests that things have gone drastically down-hill. I wonder what the situation is in reality - this looked to be a big threat to BA on a highly lucrative route, but now I wonder.
Dr Dave is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 2:58 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: HKG 99.9%
Programs: QF Silver (OW Ruby)
Posts: 1,367
Discount airlines will always be discount airlines... You will never get full service at that price!
How much you need to pay to sit on the upper deck in Oasis?

Last edited by Wongo; Dec 11, 06 at 3:30 am
Wongo is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:37 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 465
My GFs mother and sister have flown this airline a couple of times since inception. In both cases the flights were delayed by a minimum of 6 hours. However, they were adequately compensated (free roundtrip tickets) and onboard they found the service like any airline in economy. they would certainly travel the airline again - and at the price point of $1000(HK) they thought it was brilliant even with the delay inconvenience
Morgo is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: A Brit Living in NYC
Programs: BA & VS
Posts: 527
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
I am intrigued to know if anyone has been brave enough to fly Oasis to Hong Kong as yet. I have to go to HK in Feb, and was considering it, but a quick internet search turned up a review on TripAdvisor that is absolutely dire:
Was in HKG last week and their flight to LGW was listed as cancelled on the departure screens. Speaking to colleagues in HKG, it seems they cancel quite frequently. I also believe they still cannot fly over Russia and thus take a detour that adds an hour or two.
Beany is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 4:49 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,971
Hmm.

I'm moving to HK in January and was considering flying with Oasis (as opposed to BA or CX). My future employer are providing me with a free one way econ ticket to HK. In terms of price a one way with Oasis in business class would be better value than a one way econ with BA or CX.

I reckon my future employers would strech to pay for a one way WT+ ticket though. So I guess dilema is go with BA WT+ (and getting all the Gold card benefits on the ground) or go with Oasis business class (but not getting any on ground benefits) but probably having a more comfortable seat in the air and having to deal with the various delays to the flights.
theworld is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 5:15 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London, UK
Posts: 4,461
Originally Posted by theworld View Post
I'm moving to HK in January and was considering flying with Oasis (as opposed to BA or CX). My future employer are providing me with a free one way econ ticket to HK.
Wow, they are really spoiling you before you join.
aristoph is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 5:20 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,971
Originally Posted by aristoph View Post
Wow, they are really spoiling you before you join.
Well I'm no CEO or senior manager or anything (very junior position for me), so wouldn't expect them to fork out CW for me.

I'm thinking maybe MFU though.
theworld is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 5:21 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Cardiff, UK
Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Posts: 5,278
Originally Posted by Beany View Post
Was in HKG last week and their flight to LGW was listed as cancelled on the departure screens. Speaking to colleagues in HKG, it seems they cancel quite frequently. I also believe they still cannot fly over Russia and thus take a detour that adds an hour or two.
A message on their rather detailed website (particularly like the section about who their 744's belonged too and who maintains them) saying they can now fly over Russian Airspace.

Another thing to remember is that they do fly 747-400s. There was a time when such a start-up would fly a 747-200 or even a 747-300. However I find it interesting to note how things have moved on and 747-400s are now readily available for such purposes. So the aircraft is going to be a lot newer than what some American carriers fly, for example.
flyclub is offline  
Old Dec 11, 06, 6:35 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London, UK
Posts: 567
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
Sorry, I should have been clearer. The trip report in the trip reports forum is very positive indeed...but was from the inaugural flight. The trip report on TripAdvisor is much more recent, and suggests that things have gone drastically down-hill. I wonder what the situation is in reality - this looked to be a big threat to BA on a highly lucrative route, but now I wonder.
Here's an Oasis flight check published in ABTN:


http://www.abtn.co.uk/FLYING_AT_THE_...sis_experience
alex1948 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread