Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 1, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Moderator notice:
This thread was archived for posterity on 01 February 2015.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Print Wikipost

ULTIMATE BA Upgrade Discussion/Experiences Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2007, 2:39 am

Programs: BA
So far I've been lucky enough to have 3 u/gs...

First was going LHR-CAI, we'd been on a week's corporate sailing trip in the Med (BCN-GIB) and were on fully flex Y tickets. Asked at the check in desk - there were 4 of us - and she made a call and then put us in WT+ - very pleasant surprise, since we didn't really expect anything, especially since we were 4. I and at least one of my colleagues were silver at the time...

Next came a trip from MAD-LHR...was in flex ET, it was a Friday evening, and I was still EC Silver. Arrived at the gate, BP fed into machine and rejected, and a new BP issued - with a CE seat. No idea if ET was oversold or not but very nice nonetheless. No explanation either, just one of those random occurrances.

Third and final time was returning from IAD-LGW. Been there for a week with 3 colleagues for meetings, and we were on the Friday evening flight in (oversold) J. I was a last-minute attendee and despite the best efforts of my secreatry I got on the same BA flight as them. I checked in first, and was still suited and booted unlike the other 3...had a small wheelie case and a laptop bag, asked if I could carry them both on - the flight was full - and the Check in lady said yes there was plenty of room since she was moving me to FIRST. I was a tad flabbergasted since I was travelling with one fellow Silver and 2 Golds. One of the others was op-up'd on board as his CW seat was dirty and sticky. Incidentally, I was pointed in the direction the FIRST lounge as well, but at the time the Terraces was better IIRC so spent the time there instead. FIRST and so far only u/g to FIRST but very nice it was too - a lovely Purser who made me feel very comfortable and at home. IIRC she was an Irish lady called Mary.

And BAHumbug, ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ for the story earlier.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, BMI DC
upgraded - but mistaken for staff

Was travelling with wife and child yesterday, LGW to TPA. We were booked in WT+ 12J and K (bassinet).

Anyway at the gate the agent crossed the seat numbers out and replaced them with 3F and G. Excellent - NCW for the c£450 price we hade paid for WT+ in one of the weekly offers.

All was well until it came to meal time. As the steward was taking our orders he wispered to me that as we had been upgraded we might not get our first choice of meal - fair enough I thought, others have paid for the NCW experience. Anyway an age after serving the other passanagers - he came back and said there was only salmon left (what would have been our 3rd choice) - not being fish fans we said 'no thanks' and had some sandwiches instead.

At this stage we were just shrugging our shoulders thinking we were lucky have been upgraded and so the meal was not that important.

After a few hours tea time arrived. This time a different member of cabin crew was serving - as soon as she arrived at our seats, she just blurted out - 'there won't be enough for you - i'll get you a deli box from the back'

At this point I got a bit annoyed and pointed out that it was very nice that we had been upgraded but did not wish to be treated as second class citizens - if we had know this is what would happen we would have stayed in WT+.

She leaned over and said 'but aren't you staff ??'. I informed here that we we were not and her face just dropped !!!

She then went away for a minute or so and then came back and said that the manifest had us annoated as a staff upgrade and that staff would know that they would have low priorty in terms of service.

Anyway she could not apologise enough and the CSD brought us a complimentry bottle of champange, and our course we got our NCW tea !

All in all great serivce recovery from BA and an interesting insight into how they do prioritise customers over staff on flights.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 12:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
OPUPs

Just thought I'd post my experience of OPUPs. I have never ever asked for them and haven't received that many.
I was OPUP'd twice to Concorde - obviously that happened well before I got to the airport. I was phoned by BA a couple of days before each time (flying Concorde had implications on the schedule! ).
I was OPUP'd earlier this year from J to C on DEL-LHR, despite having a special meal ordered. The OPUP took place after checkin in the DEL lounge. The FA offered me the choice of the J special or the regular F menu. So I would question the notion that special meals make a difference and also that F passengers can't be offered something from the J galley.
I have been OPUP'd from Y to J on shorthaul award flights. The gate agent did point out that this was unusual but implied that "there was no-one better than me on the flight", whatever that means. Thinking about it, I believe Mrs. Catandmouse was with me and she doesn't have any status.
I don't question the analysis made in the guide, which makes a lot sense, but believe that in the end, ground staff make last minute decisions. My personal feeling is that status is probably the primary criterion. Everything else is secondary, but that's my personal opinion.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 10:48 am

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Originally Posted by Nicholsonmd
All in all great serivce recovery from BA and an interesting insight into how they do prioritise customers over staff on flights.
...and an interesting insight into how BA prioritises staff over customers on giving operational upgrades...

/MHL
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, M&M Silver
Double OpUp

For the record, I have been Gold for just over a year, but my flying over the last 10 months as been exclusively long haul economy and not a single op-up to my name. Never asked for one, never expect it. Then on Thursday, my partner & I were checking bags in at T4 for a weekend visiting friends in NYC (having done on-line checkin at about T-22). We had been moved to PE (there had been earlier flight cancellations, apparently) and at the gate moved again to Club.

Cursory glance back revealed a packed WT/WT+ cabin. Club was less than 50% full.

Very unexpected and a great start to the weekend.

Sadly the return leg last night was in the seats we had paid for!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Originally Posted by MileHighLawyer
...and an interesting insight into how BA prioritises staff over customers on giving operational upgrades...

/MHL
Not necessarily. The staff could have had Club tickets.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: BA LTG, Defender of the turnip.
I travel a lot so tend to get op-ups quite often, but there is definitley a random factor in there, e.g. sitting in a full WTP cabin next to a guy commenting that his jammy collegue got upgraded as he has a BA silver card, or talking to others who jump WTP and get op-upped straight to CW with no FF status at all. Can't begrudge peopel their good luck but consistency would be a good thing!

Anyone had the situation where you OLCI and find that your seats already in CW even though the tickets WTP? And, then when you get your boarding pass at the airport its still marked as W even though you've been assigned a seat in the CW cabin?

Baps.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:33 am

/MHL
What on earth is wrong with that? If say there are seats left in all cabins and the staff member has a WT ticket, what's wrong with the CSD upgrading them to CW. It probably happens a lot more than you think and I see nothing at all wrong with it. Perks such as this are just part of working in the airline industry.

Unless of course you would prefer them to upgrade commercial passangers for no reason whatsoever and turn BA into a USA style upgrade for all sort of airline.

Last edited by xxxxx; Feb 20, 2007 at 8:28 am
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:54 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Oh dear, UA's 'Employee Class' seeps over to BA
Old Feb 20, 2007, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Oh dear, UA's 'Employee Class' seeps over to BA
Yes, thought the BA staff members I've seen in Club and First are a lot more discrete than the average UA matron. I remember one ORD-IAD flight which resembled an especially riotuous Darby & Joan club outing in F.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat

/MHL

A few Christmasses ago I flew out of LGW to TPA on a redemption business class R/T ticket which included a number of stopovers in the US, with a return from SEA. There was no seat assignment available in J when I booked, but they told me that they would be able to sort this out at the airport. When I got to check-in they told me there was nothing available in J. Took quite a while and a couple of supervisors to sort this out. When I got onto the plane, and wound up talking with the guys sitting in the 2 seats next to me, it turned out they were the boyfriends of the (female) FAs.

You'd think if they were providing op-ups, it might be to those who might subsequently provide J class revenue in the future.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:06 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
I have searched to see if there are any threads discussing this and was unable to find any - but would like to share my recent "upgrade to Club" experience.

I booked flights to Prague earlier this week, selecting "ET" as my travel class and hoping that I would be offered the "upgrade for £50" option. Whilst that was an option for the outbound, the inbound was being offered for £144 This would have given total cost of approximately £350 for the dates I wanted.

I then priced it up selecting "Club" as my travel class and lo and behold, the return priced out on the exact same flights at more than £100 less than using the buy up option !!

So now I (and more importantly my SO) are very pleased.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 2:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Oh FFS...can we not turn this into another 'staff in premium cabins' rant - they are always so uninformed and everything that has been said has already been said (where's the cattle prod when you need it!?)

Suffice to say, BA's staff travel policies are as far away from UA's as the difference between their respective FFPs.
Old Mar 9, 2007, 6:56 am
TFM

Programs: BA Gold
A year ago I was on BA175 LHR-JFK, booked WT+ and MFU'ed to J. I boarded and sat in my seat, and about 10 mins later, the CSD came up to me and asked me if I minded moving to another seat... in FIRST!! That was my first time in FIRST and I kept on thinking that I had only paid around £600r/t for this!
Old Mar 12, 2007, 5:18 am

Programs: Cunard WorldClub-Gold,Silverseas Venetian society,Alitalia Mille miglia,SPG,Fairmont,IHG.
It does pay to be accomodating, as per previous reply. I was sitting in J one night,just after take off, and a lady opposite me couldn't get her seat to recline. After the crew spent some time fiddling with it to no avail, I slipped into the galley and mentioned to the crew I wasn't interested in sleeping, and if it helped, I would change seats with the lady so she could sleep. The crew were most grateful ,and moved the lady to my seat, but instead of me being placed in her duff seat, the CSD moved me to 5E in F, as a thank you for helping them out ! NLA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.