Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Using personal connections to get (re)upgraded...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using personal connections to get (re)upgraded...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Originally Posted by Fraser
DYKWIA has reached new heights
It has been replaced by DYKWIMMM: Do You Know Who's In My Mobile Memory?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by theworld
Not exactly au fait with this route, but wouldn't he have been downgraded to WT+ rather than the full form econ?
The new EU regulations mean that compensation is payable for a downgrade, if J and W are full then bumping someone from W to Y and from J to W surely means 2 lots of compensation rather than just 1 for J to Y. Since we are talking about 2 people here that would be 4x rather than 2x.

Last edited by Land-of-Miles; Oct 19, 2006 at 12:42 pm
Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, IC Plat RA, Fairmont Plat...
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
The new EU regulations mean that compensation is payable for a downgrade, if J and W are full then bumoin someone from W to Y and from J to W surely means 2 lots of compensation rather than just 1 for J to Y. Since we are talking about 2 people here that would be 4x rather than 2x.
So potentially someone in F could end up in Y?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
So, is anybody on this board "guilty" of using connections to score upgrades?

I have only been guilty once, although it was not really my fault (although I hardly complained of course).
Not an upgrade, but I did somehow get onto a flight which didn't seem to exist in the timetable, to allow me to come home a day early - I hadn't been able to leave that day as the flight was full. Very odd, but I wasn't complaining!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Originally Posted by JSC
A quick call to BA chief Willie Walsh's press officer and a reminder New Star owns shares in BA...
I guess he may have met WW a few times, in which case a call is understandable, but it does breach conflict of interest rules to tie any special treatment to New Star's shareholding.

After all, this is not his holding but his clients' holding and he should therefore refuse, or not derive or attempt to derive, any personal benefit from it. Nor should there be any implied threat to sell it (or not increase it) because of their treatment of him; any decision should be solely in their clients' interest.

(But in any case, that's too serious a spin on this, and I don't see how the telegraph can accurately know the specifics of his phone call, so I doubt he'll be getting a telling off from the FSA.)
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Okay, a noobie here--I just want to get this straight.

You can have paid for a CW (business class) seat, and get involuntarily downgraded? And I suppose any compensation would only be from what you paid for CW far in advance to what the cost is of WT+ (or whatever) at the last minute, which is probably nothing or next to nothing?!

Can they screw one like that who is riding a oneworld business award bucket?

Steve
Old Oct 19, 2006, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by steve32
Okay, a noobie here--I just want to get this straight.

You can have paid for a CW (business class) seat, and get involuntarily downgraded? And I suppose any compensation would only be from what you paid for CW far in advance to what the cost is of WT+ (or whatever) at the last minute, which is probably nothing or next to nothing?!

Can they screw one like that who is riding a oneworld business award bucket?

Steve
I think it is more complex than that. Something like a % of the full fare in J (50%?) so any last minute fluctuations/manipulation in price does not disadvantage the PAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.