Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to LAS and keeping Silver

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2006, 1:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Getting to LAS and keeping Silver

These days my business travel is limited to occassionally schleping up the A34 and M40 between Bournemouth and Wolverhampton. If I need to catch up on work I'll take Virgin XC First Class (£209 return and yes I know, this is not the bmi board ).

My total tier points this year currently sit at a big fat zero. A trip to EDI for a conference will net 40. Apart for that there is little prospect of any real earning opportunities. That is apart from a possible conference speaking engagement at Caesars Palace in March. I need to keep the travel costs down so it looks like I class fares rather than full J. I looked at trying to book a YUP from JFK but the fare was £1600.

Anyone suggest a good TP earning run?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:00 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Honey Bee - what about these rather good fare deals (well they look quite good) in CW? I see that DXB over Christmas is about £1100? I don't know whether the budget would stand for anything like this? I was wondering - not knowing how you work your travel arrangements through the company - but what about a LIS or another cheaper Euro destination to start your trip. If all else fails - and again I do not know how long you have to go - why don't you look at some I fares out of LGW. BLQ is about £178ish for 80 points return (will you listen to this woman on about miles and points as though she knew what she was talking about?!).

Lovely to hear from you anyway - I have to say that HI might not make Gold unless I do something quickly as he has to go to a conference (and speak -God help them (they will just love his accent)). I have actually booked him on CO Business Elite for less than £600 (Fare Gone).
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Gaza, are you Gold (as your profile suggests) or Silver?
If you are Gold, you will drop to silver anyway, not Blue.
If you are Silver, well...change your profile!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
Originally Posted by clubman
Gaza, are you Gold (as your profile suggests) or Silver?
If you are Gold, you will drop to silver anyway, not Blue.
If you are Silver, well...change your profile!
Thanks for the reminder. I dropped down to Silver in July but forgot to change my profile.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Honey Bee - what about these rather good fare deals (well they look quite good) in CW? I see that DXB over Christmas is about £1100? I don't know whether the budget would stand for anything like this? I was wondering - not knowing how you work your travel arrangements through the company - but what about a LIS or another cheaper Euro destination to start your trip. If all else fails - and again I do not know how long you have to go - why don't you look at some I fares out of LGW. BLQ is about £178ish for 80 points return (will you listen to this woman on about miles and points as though she knew what she was talking about?!).

Lovely to hear from you anyway - I have to say that HI might not make Gold unless I do something quickly as he has to go to a conference (and speak -God help them (they will just love his accent)). I have actually booked him on CO Business Elite for less than £600 (Fare Gone).
The holiday budget is fully committed at the moment. Couple that with a house move earlier this year and accompanying eye-watering mortgage, the holiday budget is likely to be curtailed for a few years. After our last Christmas experience in DXB (heavy rain, cool temps and snow in the Hajar Mountains for the first time in living memory I think we will stick to the spring and autumn seasons!!!

My last two Gold cards have been achieved out of my own pocket so I think it is time for a company to pick up this one.

Doing an ex-LIS/AMS/other EU is an option as I would book my own travel.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
OK, but given 1) your business travel is now limited and 2) you always seem to travel on holiday in premium cabins, do you actually need the silver card at all?

Regardless of who is paying, if you end up forking out an extra £1000 or so just to have a bit of plastic that will be of very little use over the next 12 months then the marketing people are doing a cracking job and arguably you've been "had".
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:55 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Gaza
Doing an ex-LIS/AMS/other EU is an option as I would book my own travel.
Check the ITA tool, but in my recent experience LIN/FRA are the new LIS/AMS!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Silver (Oneworld Sapphire), VS Silver, Skywards Blue, UA General, Qantas Bronze.
GVA & ZRH can be quite good too.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I looked at trying to book a YUP from JFK but the fare was £1600.

Anyone suggest a good TP earning run?
Was that JFK-LAX-LAS and back? Sounds like it. Have you priced up ex-EWR? ex-BOS? BWI has a flight with a stop in DFW but the flight number goes to LAS netting 180 TPs each way.

EWR might be a good bet. $1218 return to LAS.

http://www.farecompare.com/search/yu...rue&carrier=AA
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
OK, but given 1) your business travel is now limited and 2) you always seem to travel on holiday in premium cabins, do you actually need the silver card at all?
The card is useful for the ocasions when I travel domestically (mostly SOU-EDI-SOU) or for a weekend away in Europe when Y is much cheaper than I.

The extra cost of the YUP will be rolled in to the overall cost of the ticket that I will claim back from the company. The complete absense of a corporate TA and a boss who understands these things (I've got him signed up for BA AMex PP) but still has an eye on the bottom line, makes it achieveable.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:27 am

The card is useful for the ocasions when I travel domestically (mostly SOU-EDI-SOU) or for a weekend away in Europe when Y is much cheaper than I.

The extra cost of the YUP will be rolled in to the overall cost of the ticket that I will claim back from the company. The complete absense of a corporate TA and a boss who understands these things (I've got him signed up for BA AMex PP) but still has an eye on the bottom line, makes it achieveable.
Honey - I hear you loud and clear. How wise you are! Sheena has made an even finer man out of you.

As one of the first Muccis ever - you of course get to be u** to F if I ever were your CSD. We never do such things of course and my name is Blanche Dubois. However - I am afraid that I think that Lenny must be thinking that the end of the world has come with no F to sit in!!
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honey - I hear you loud and clear. How wise you are! Sheena has made an even finer man out of you.

As one of the first Muccis ever - you of course get to be u** to F if I ever were your CSD. We never do such things of course and my name is Blanche Dubois. However - I am afraid that I think that Lenny must be thinking that the end of the world has come with no F to sit in!!
Queen Pucci. Thou art the greatest.

Would you wave your magic hairbrush and upgrade 5 Smirnies to F to JFK tomorrow? I promise to be your most humble and devoted Mucci.

PS - If you don't I will get the Smirnettes to run riot in the UD and have a luxury cake fight.
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Queen Pucci. Thou art the greatest.

Would you wave your magic hairbrush and upgrade 5 Smirnies to F to JFK tomorrow? I promise to be your most humble and devoted Mucci.

PS - If you don't I will get the Smirnettes to run riot in the UD and have a luxury cake fight.
Hm....if you promise to address me

"Queen Pucci. Thou art the greatest."

OR

"Your Majesty"

or

"Your Highness"

Each and every time that you post to or about me I might think about it. Your threats are empty. I could not care less what goes on on any flight that I am not aboard. Now what is that worth - and whilst we are about it what happened to the Budget?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hm....if you promise to address me

"Queen Pucci. Thou art the greatest."

OR

"Your Majesty"

or

"Your Highness"

Each and every time that you post to or about me I might think about it. Your threats are empty. I could not care less what goes on on any flight that I am not aboard. Now what is that worth - and whilst we are about it what happened to the Budget?
Oh Majestic Highness, Queen Pucci, Thou art the Greatest, I am not worthy so much as to be served a deli-box on your flight.....

Have a word with tomorrow's CSD and I will do anything you wish. I will bring you fresh cabbage pies back from DME for you....

As for the travel budget, it looks like going through. I had to cut my IT budget instead, but who needs IT anyway?
Old Oct 18, 2006, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Oh Majestic Highness, Queen Pucci, Thou art the Greatest, I am not worthy to be served a deli-box on you flights.....

Have a word with tomorrow's CSD and I will do anything you wish. I will bring you fresh cabbage pies back from DME for you....

As for the travel budget, it looks like going through. I had to cut my IT budget instead, but who needs IT anyway?
Your first statment is the truest thing that you will ever say.

Now - I've named my price and you have ignored it. Agree and I will think about it.

(Jen is Sheep off to JFK tomorrow. You know how he hates Riff Raff!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.