Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No Headsets to be worn for takeoff, approach and landing.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Headsets to be worn for takeoff, approach and landing.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2006, 3:28 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Hmmm..maybe I've been rash in switching from UA. At least we get Channel 9 and can listen to the cockpit comms on the ground and through take off.
Old Jul 6, 2006, 8:29 am

Location: SCL, MCT, LGW and a variety of 1W lounges in between.
Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Two Spottie points

Firstly, I take it that the flight crew are allowed to wear their headsets during approach?

Secondly, when flying on UA, it is illegal to listen to channel 9 when in UK airspace. Therefore, you cannot listen to it on approach to LHR. You have to know the laws of the country that you are travelling to. How funny it would be if UA were banned from UK airspace, oh and German etc on this basis. Somehow, I suspect that the radio whatsit agency and the CAA will not exactly enforce this.

Oh, this Air Law conference I am sitting in is stimulating. It is after lunch, the lights are low, the speaker is available in monotone and financial implications of the Cape Town convention is leading me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:02 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Oh, this Air Law conference I am sitting in is stimulating. It is after lunch, the lights are low, the speaker is available in monotone and financial implications of the Cape Town convention is leading me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Perhaps you should have been at the Avclub yesterday, where the ACI DG Aaronson slagged off his IATA counterpart no holds barred. That might have kept you awake
Old Jul 7, 2006, 5:27 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Secondly, when flying on UA, it is illegal to listen to channel 9 when in UK airspace. Therefore, you cannot listen to it on approach to LHR. You have to know the laws of the country that you are travelling to. How funny it would be if UA were banned from UK airspace, oh and German etc on this basis. Somehow, I suspect that the radio whatsit agency and the CAA will not exactly enforce this.
Strange as I've always listened to UA's channel 9 - takeoff and landing (and that's going on a for a good 12 years).

The only reason I've not listend on landing to the UK (or US for that matter) is because they've collected the headsets.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:07 am

Programs: BA Mucci (Seigneur et Ingenieur des Appareils Volants (Gold)), QF (WP and LTG), AA EXP, GF Gold
Pedantic point on thread title

New cabin crew instruction goes out "headsets must not be worn for take-off". The scattercushion dot com boys go out and check the headset bags. Absolute panic when three headseats are found to be slightly scratched. Cabin crew run up to Pucci and ask for whole flight to return to gate as three headsets appeared to be worn and not looking perfect.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:13 am

So let me get this right. Plane lurches left. Then lurches right. Luggage is tossed everywhere. Bird from Airplane's big breasts are shaking side to side. Feel a big bump. Flames lapping at my feet. Yet I won't notice any of this going on because I'm wearing head phones?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Strange as I've always listened to UA's channel 9 - takeoff and landing (and that's going on a for a good 12 years).

The only reason I've not listend on landing to the UK (or US for that matter) is because they've collected the headsets.
It's like the law that makes radio transmitters for Ipods illegal - the law is there but no one enforces it.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by House
It's like the law that makes radio transmitters for Ipods illegal - the law is there but no one enforces it.
Which reminds me: Must order one this week before trip to Norfolk
Old Jul 7, 2006, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
Must order one this week before trip to Norfolk
Will it be "Norfolk in use" if you get one delivered for this trip?
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:29 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by The Saint
It may be just me, but I rather think that if something horrible is happening (which requires my undivided attention to announcements) I'd probably have stopped listening to my iPod some time before the critical moment. Just a hunch.
Don't think you get warning of everything. If the aircraft touches down but fails to stop by the end of the runway, the pilots (who up until that moment will have been rather busy trying to pull it up) will suddenly announce "Brace Brace" without any prior notice. Probably what happened on Air France at Toronto, and a whole lot more.
Old Jul 7, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by WHBM
Don't think you get warning of everything. If the aircraft touches down but fails to stop by the end of the runway, the pilots (who up until that moment will have been rather busy trying to pull it up) will suddenly announce "Brace Brace" without any prior notice. Probably what happened on Air France at Toronto, and a whole lot more.
But on the Air France flight the aircraft had already been circling for a while, there had been several announcements already from the cockpit, and the weather was pretty poor anyway. Not the kind of environment where you would shut yourself off from everything happening around you. One passenger said she pulled her seat belt 'very tight' as the aircraft was landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.