FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   No Headsets to be worn for takeoff, approach and landing. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/576038-no-headsets-worn-takeoff-approach-landing.html)

Can I help you Jul 5, 2006 8:51 am

No Headsets to be worn for takeoff, approach and landing.

With immediate effect no headsets can not be worn for takeoff, approach and landing.The reason for the change is because of the possibility of passengers not hearing any emergency annoucements.
CIHY

Shuttle-Bored Jul 5, 2006 8:54 am

Thanks for the update CIHY. (sorry, forgot my manners on first pass, and we should be grateful for our BA staff insights :) ).

Hmmm - I've seen instances where I've had my iPod headphones plugged into the IFE, primarily because I couldn't clearly hear the PA announcements, but the version routed through IFE was much clearer.... :rolleyes:

MorganB Jul 5, 2006 8:55 am

I dont see why anyone would be wearing them anyway as all electronic devices should be shut off for approach, takeoff and landing and the seat screens are off.

anteo Jul 5, 2006 8:58 am

I always thought this was the case anyway, for precisely these reasons ^

ThatT1Feeling Jul 5, 2006 9:01 am

I always thought this was the case too - but announcements always override the IFE anyway, don't they?

Boo Boo Jul 5, 2006 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
With immediate effect no headsets can not be worn for takeoff, approach and landing.The reason for the change is because of the possibility of passengers not hearing any emergency annoucements.
CIHY

As others have said, I always thought that this was the case too... certainly have heard it announced on virtually all flights recently (BA, AA, UA, Easyjet etc...).

Gets a bit frustrating coming into Heathrow - when the announcement is made to turn off all electronic equipment and remove all headsets, then you spend 45 minutes circling London with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs.... Wish that you could listen to ipods/entertainment until shortly before final approach. :)

Boo

G-BOAC Jul 5, 2006 9:18 am

Originally Posted by anteo
I always thought this was the case anyway, for precisely these reasons ^

Me too. I always pack away my iPod when the seatbelt sign goes on for landing anyway (though as Boo says that does get a bit annoying stacking over LHR for ages...but that's just life).

BTW CIHY - I saw you mention on another thread you're a CSD. I'm not sure if this is new or it has always been thus since your presence here and just never mentioned before? If it is new, congratulations! :D

Can I help you Jul 5, 2006 9:43 am

BTW CIHY - I saw you mention on another thread you're a CSD. I'm not sure if this is new or it has always been thus since your presence here and just never mentioned before? If it is new, congratulations! :D[/QUOTE]

I have been a CSD all the time I have been posting on here, sorry if I have not made it clear.What I hope that I have made clear is that I love my job and am very proud to work for BA.I do not often make any comments regarding some of the things posted (I don't think I'm funny enough) we all know and enjoy those who can and do.I hope I am useful in answering some of the more factual questions.
CIHY

Jenbel Jul 5, 2006 9:47 am

you're fabulous at answering our questions - it's one of the great assets of the board that we have so many knowledgeable helpful crew around to assist us.... since you're not doing it from on board a/c, but in your free time, it is always much appreciated :)

G-BOAC Jul 5, 2006 9:52 am

I hope I am useful in answering some of the more factual questions.

Indeed - a :-:!

And as with our other crew members on here, I always wonder if I've ever had the privilege and never known it...? Hopefully one day :)

BlackBerryAddict Jul 5, 2006 9:54 am

So I am going to be the only one who questions part of this policy?
Like the 45 minutes circling over south east london without mp3 player? Does that really impact the safety of the aircraft? Granted, final approach and landing - yes (although the evidence is limited I think)

Originally Posted by boo boo too
Gets a bit frustrating coming into Heathrow - when the announcement is made to turn off all electronic equipment and remove all headsets, then you spend 45 minutes circling London with nothing to do but twiddle your thumbs.... Wish that you could listen to ipods/entertainment until shortly before final approach.

So there is one advantage for travelling in WT or WT+ - the IFE doesn't get shut off completely - the moving map usually stays on right to the end :)

ThatT1Feeling Jul 5, 2006 9:59 am

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
So I am going to be the only one who questions part of this policy?
Like the 45 minutes circling over south east london without mp3 player? Does that really impact the safety of the aircraft? Granted, final approach and landing - yes (although the evidence is limited I think)

So there is one advantage for travelling in WT or WT+ - the IFE doesn't get shut off completely - the moving map usually stays on right to the end :)

I have to say that in the past I have been allowed to watch a video in F until about one minute before landing - only 4 in the cabin and a promise from me to stow the screen before the wheels touched the ground. Maybe the policy is being enforced now

I do not often make any comments regarding some of the things posted (I don't think I'm funny enough)

I don't think many of us are but it hasn't stopped me yet.. :rolleyes:

Can I help you Jul 5, 2006 10:37 am

So there is one advantage for travelling in WT or WT+ - the IFE doesn't get shut off completely - the moving map usually stays on right to the end :)[/QUOTE]
The moving map stays on in all cabins.The use of headsets for approch and landing will obviously only effect passengers with their own headsets.It will only be on final approach that they cannot be used.
CIHY

Markonen Jul 5, 2006 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Hmmm - I've seen instances where I've had my iPod headphones plugged into the IFE, primarily because I couldn't clearly hear the PA announcements, but the version routed through IFE was much clearer.... :rolleyes:

The PA sound quality on pretty much all airplanes (no matter which make or airline) is pretty incredibly bad. I think it is the microphones rather than the speakers since the music is usually fine. Anyone know of a reason for this? Is it in order for the crew to be able to yell "BRACE! BRACE!" with a 120dB ruckus in the background?

Globaliser Jul 5, 2006 11:42 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
And as with our other crew members on here, I always wonder if I've ever had the privilege and never known it...?

As do I. It is funny to think that we might be so close and yet be totally oblivious to the fact that we "know" each other in another context.

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict

Is it my poor memory, or does the moving map now stop on touchdown? IIRC it used to continue working until arrival at the gate.

Originally Posted by Markonen
The PA sound quality on pretty much all airplanes (no matter which make or airline) is pretty incredibly bad.

My impression is that the 777's system is generally a huge improvement over the 747's - at least down the back. Part of it depends, of course, on the volume being up sufficiently high - but when it is, the 777 announcements seem much more audible than the 747's.