Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Amex Platinum is it worth £300 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
For example, we have booked a suite at the Waldorf Towers for the May bank holiday. 3 nights at a cancellable rate, room only, is $929 + 13.5% on the Hilton website. 3 nights through Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts is $790 + 13.5%, with free breakfast, free afternoon tea for two and an upgrade at check-in if available, plus a guaranteed 4pm check-out.

If you value the breakfast at $50 per day for a couple (and the afternoon tea at $0!) then I have saved $623 on a 3-day stay, plus a guaranteed late check-out and a potential upgrade. This is my entire annual fee repaid in one go.
Indeed. That is very very good.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
The hotel discounts are great - IF you are a five-star person. Not sure how you can have tested these Amex, as I doubt they would give out Fine Hotels & Resorts rates unless you are a Plat or Cent cardholder.

There is a thread on the Amex board entitled 'Please post your FHR benefits' which outlines savings.
Plus if you phone Amex, they may have other rates besides the FHR rate. For example, they gave me a rate called "I prefer the good life" which includes breakfast and one dinner at the hotel restaurant. They also gave me the FHR rate which included a possible room upgrade, breakfast, late check out and extra amenity ($100 resort credit I think it was). As I was not guaranteed an upgrade, it was safer to go with the other rate, which already included the upgraded room but was much cheaper than the FHR rate.

Did shop around before this and the Amex rates worked out at around $150-200 a night cheaper.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:26 am

Here is the link to the FHR hotel guide with benefits http://www134.americanexpress.com/tr...csg&cdtyp=plat

Here is the German centurion site where you can do some rate research. Click on "Hotel Suchen". http://amex.start.de/classes/smp.pro...mer_id=amex_cc

Thanks to whoever posted the German link on the Amex board
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:49 am

The Amex Plat now comes with the slightly dubious benefit of AC entry when flying AA, in addition to BD, CO etc. A limited benefit to OW status holders, but an "enhancement" nevertheless

Last edited by Disco Volante; Aug 30, 2007 at 6:36 am Reason: I'm not sure if the card allows entry for a guest - Raffles will know!
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:57 am

Are BA flights booked through AA considered AA flights & therefore allow access to AA lounges?

Are AA lounges better/worse than priority pass lounges in London?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by drewchad
Are AA lounges better/worse than priority pass lounges in London?
I have never been in a PP lounge in London, but given the state of the AA "Flagship" Lounge in T3, they are probably similar. People say the T4 Holideck? (PP) lounge is very good.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Bronze, DL Plat UA, HHonors Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Has anyone used a UK-issued Amex Plat to get into any Admiral's Club? It's apparently only an official benefit with the US card, but I don't know whether they can check in any way or do they just look at it?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:25 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by jabrams72
Has anyone used a UK-issued Amex Plat to get into any Admiral's Club? It's apparently only an official benefit with the US card, but I don't know whether they can check in any way or do they just look at it?
I suppose all they need to do is look on the back of the card which has "UK" on it?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:29 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
I thought they could tell by the numbers. IIRC they did that with the VS Clubhouse access where it used to be a Plat benefit for the UK but no US.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LHR Tim
they did that with the VS Clubhouse access where it used to be a Plat benefit for the UK.
What a shame it is no longer...
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:30 am

Programs: BA something, Luftwaffe SEN, CX Gold, Pilsbury Doughboy Fanclub, and lots of Amex cards
Originally Posted by jabrams72

I guess the whacking great chip stuck into it is a bit of a giveaway!
From reading the thread on AAnother forum, the Admiral lounge dragons operate similar to the delta/continental lounges with regards to which cards give access , by way of a printed laminate with pictures of the plat/priority pass/centurion etc showing and which ones apply to what access.

On another note, had the £120 fee sneaked onto my BA amex statement.... quick call to query it as i have a plat charge card. Had to check I had indeed had the plat card more than 6 months to qualify for the free ba amex, confirmed I had, then refunded the charge

Last edited by leaveamessage; Aug 30, 2007 at 8:36 am
Old Aug 30, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: EY Platinum
linenbasket did you mean "free" as in "£30 instead of £120", or "free" as in "£120 waived completely"?
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by csdf
linenbasket did you mean "free" as in "£30 instead of £120", or "free" as in "£120 waived completely"?
It is free "waived completely" for Amex Plat Chargecard holders
Old Aug 30, 2007, 9:22 am

Programs: EY Platinum
Ah yes, of course. Damn Amex and its similarly-named charge/credit cards.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It is free "waived completely" for Amex Plat Chargecard holders
Yes it is. I called in last week to order a new Platinum card after my old one was damaged and was offered a "free" BA AMEX with the membership fee waived. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.