Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Amex Platinum is it worth £300 ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
OT: Amex Platinum is it worth £300 ?

I'm pondering getting the Amex Platinum Card, I already hold the BA AMEX PP card - so it's only £180 extra...

I could have posted this on the Amex Board but I reckon I will get a better response from here.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:38 am
jhm

Have a look at the posts by Raffles and others in this thread.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Status is priceless.

Look at what some fools pay to have the Centurion AMEX.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver.
Most definitely, the full travel insurance for the whole family,2 priority pass cards, free BAP+ card,HH gold for a year, Starwood gold for 2 years and the FHR programme,plus the silly sods only charged me £275 renewal last month
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:47 am

Programs: BA
I think its definitely worth it. Check out replies 2, 4, 14 (& a few others) in this link: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557049
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by jaguarpig
HH gold for a year, Starwood gold for 2 years
Hang on. I thought SPG was forever, not just 2 years? It was forever when I signed up. Is this a new change I didn't know about from the recent changes/new packs they sent out? I'll have to go read them more closely...
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Silver BA, Platinum Marriott, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold,
I'm sold ^
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:57 am

I've just downgraded from Plat to Gold as I didn't think I got the benefits. I have travel insurance with my bank, I still get the travel inconvenience package with the Gold charge card. I have lounge access with my BA silver card, and there's not a lot else I use.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 4:59 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
Okay but let's not pretend the saving on the BAPP is £120 - you should work on £30. Could you get decent travel cover for £100 (how big's the family?), and how much do you fly non-1W economy, since you have BA Gold.

The swing factor might be the car insurance, worth about £10-15 a day.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Yes, yes, yes......

Annual Travel Insurance : £70ish
2 x Priority Pass : £260 x 2 = £520
SPG Gold : 90% of my stays I've been upgraded
Hilton Gold : Free breakfasts and sometimes get an upgrade
Free BA Card = £120

There are other benefits also, but the above are the ones I find most useful.

Cheers,
Rick
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by G-BOAC
Hang on. I thought SPG was forever, not just 2 years? It was forever when I signed up. Is this a new change I didn't know about from the recent changes/new packs they sent out? I'll have to go read them more closely...
I just got the SPG pack through yesterday card is valid for 2 years,don't know if it gets renewed after this.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:01 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
Originally Posted by jaguarpig
I just got the SPG pack through yesterday ...
jaguarpig, can I ask how long this took after you filled in the form? I applied to upgrade my existing account during the last week in May and still nothing.

Same story with my existing Hilton HHonors a/c, but other things like Priority Pass appeared very quickly.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:10 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
jaguarpig, can I ask how long this took after you filled in the form? I applied to upgrade my existing account during the last week in May and still nothing.

Same story with my existing Hilton HHonors a/c, but other things like Priority Pass appeared very quickly.
Steady-EDI, I applied for Amex Plat in late March, like you I got my Priority Pass through very quickly but have not had my SPG gold card through. I know the account has been set up and SPG recognise me as Gold, but no actual physical card. This really annoys me, as I think my chances of upgrade our significantly affected by not being able to actually give them that gold bit of plastic.

On a different note, when I signed up to Amex Plat, SPG was for life. I'll be mighty pi55ed off if they've changed that and not had the decency to make the change explicitly clear.

Lewis
Old Jun 30, 2006, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Steady-EDI
I would guess about 5 weeks from filling in the form,didn't have a Starwood card before. I have held a plat card for over 10 years and never even knew SPG had been added to the package. The PP for the mrs came within a week about 2 weeks for the Radisson silver thing.I already have HH gold so saved that form for a rainy day
Old Jun 30, 2006, 9:04 am

I really think it depends on how much you would use its benefits.

I looked seriously at getting the Platinum, but decided for the benefits offered, it was not of value to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.