Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW Check-in suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2006, 5:41 am
Original Poster

LGW Check-in suggestions

First time traveling out of LGW & OLCI has let me down again. Get the very annoying message:

• Unfortunately British Airways cannot validate your ticket number at this moment. Please accept our apologies and try again later

I called BA and they have no idea why I am getting that message. Anyway, as a BA Gold traveling CE from LGW to KEF at 7:30 AM tomorrow with a bag to check in, what is the best check-in option? Is the First check-in the best option? Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2006, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
As you come in to the terminal off the train thing from LGW South (assuming you are), go straight up the first escalator on your left. This will deliver you to the premium check-in area where the fast bag drops and FIRST/Club desks are. Beware there's not many though these days The F desk may be your best bet, but I'd say look around for the quietest desk. You may like to try an SSCI machine first (there is a big bank of them at the top of the escalator) to get your BP in case you use a FBD desk not the Gold/Silver ones.
Old May 18, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
F desk(s) every time

(although there's only usually 1 open)
Old May 18, 2006, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
If you will be staying at or around LGW tonight then you can check-in this evening (and even check bags if you want to):

Originally Posted by BA.com

Check-in times for London Gatwick Domestic and European:

Check-in opens at 5am. Passengers may also check-in between 4pm and 10pm for flights departing before 10am the next day.

Check-in closes 30 minutes before scheduled departure

Latest time at the gate for boarding is 20 minutes before departure
This is quite a useful service IMHO, especially as LGW North is pretty quiet in the evenings.
Old May 18, 2006, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
I have the same message travelling to MRS tomorrow.

I called the internet help desk (0870 850 8504) - they tell me that the flight hasn't been opened for OLCI yet (they are still "working on the pre-allocations"), and may open "sometime this afternoon"...

The message is somewhat misleading!
Old May 18, 2006, 8:27 am

Now that front row seats are available to Golds on MMB for CE, I find OLCI less necessary. I still do it in case I'm running late for the flight, but there are no seat choice advantages...
Old May 18, 2006, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
I have the same message travelling to MRS tomorrow.

I called the internet help desk (0870 850 8504) - they tell me that the flight hasn't been opened for OLCI yet (they are still "working on the pre-allocations"), and may open "sometime this afternoon"...

The message is somewhat misleading!
My flight just opened - over 2 hrs late...

Better late than never, managed to snag the A-C front row of Y.
Old May 18, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
the "do not even think about thinking you might be able to use a desk to check-in" dragon at LGW has been trying to prevent me from using F desk to check-in a few times.

rather annoying when she doesnt get that travelling with colleagues (who like sitting together) means that I prefer a desk with a human being allocating seats rather than the 'hit'n'miss' "let's stand next to each other at the machine and go for adjacant seats hoping no-one else grabs them before us" technique.......

rather annoying.
Old May 20, 2006, 4:25 pm
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BA Loyal
My flight just opened - over 2 hrs late...

Better late than never, managed to snag the A-C front row of Y.
Same thing happened to me last week. Flying LGW to BCN in CE, could not OLCI until 19 hrs prior to flight. Still my colleague and I managed to bag 2A and 2C, which I think are the best seat on this route. There was one fly in the ointment. We were all delayed sitting on the plane waiting for a pallet of fish to arrive and be loaded. Had to wait 40 minutes and missed an appointment. Luckily it was not to important. Seems strange that passengers get treated worse than cargo. Is it worth me complaining to get a few miles?
Old May 21, 2006, 1:23 am

Thanks ffor your loyal support of the BA "First" Check In Desk - the worst possible desk that any of us BA Gatwick people have to work on!

The reason it's the worst desk is that we seldom have more than one desk open and it is expected to "pull people across" from the Club queues or the UK Fast Bag Drop queues as soon as you have no more Firsts or Golds to deal with. Airline staff (not just BA, but positioning Charter Airline crews) seem to see it as a "right" to use the First Class check in desk, as do passengers transferring from Delta or Emirates to UK flights who seem to think that because their baggage is being transferred, their transaction will take seconds!

If you come to Gatwick, and you have to queue for more than a couple of minutes at the First class desk, please would you complain loudly to Customer Relations through the ba website! (Not to the front-line staff please, as we are not responsible for the staff cutting and slashing that is going on! Mind you, as soon as WW announced management cut-backs, we knew we were in for a rough ride!) We have already closed the First/Club Ticket Desk and made you stand in line with everyone else - it won't be long (if our manager has her way) before First and Club check in disappears!

Last edited by bealine; May 21, 2006 at 1:28 am
Old May 21, 2006, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Silver / Hyatt gold
Bealine....

I'm planning to use the "night before" check in on Thursday ready for club World flight on Friday, is there a specific area for this function or can we use any available desk?

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2006, 2:09 pm

Hi

Early Check In is always officially on Desk C17 (the very end desk at Zone C) and from about 16.30 - 19.00 is a dedicated function. As we have many current flights checking in at that time, other check-in desks do not "pull across" from the Early Check-In queue, but after about 19.00 hrs when things quieten down, the Club desk on C16 will also help - as will the First Class desk (C11 or C12).
Old May 22, 2006, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by bealine
Airline staff (not just BA, but positioning Charter Airline crews) seem to see it as a "right" to use the First Class check in desk
This morning at the there were two non-BA airline staff in bright red outfits (Jet2.com?) standing in front of the "Check In Assistance" desk immediately left of the First check in.

I came along and stood at the front of the First Check in queue. The lady serving on F finished with the previous person, and the Red airline staff started to walk forward...

Remembering this thread, I took a VERY big step forward, cut her off, and was quite happily served by the F Checkin staff. The staff I'd cut off said something like "oh!". Shortly after they were served by the guy at the Check In Assistance desk... they were going to Manchester...
Old May 22, 2006, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by schofs
Now that front row seats are available to Golds on MMB for CE, I find OLCI less necessary. I still do it in case I'm running late for the flight, but there are no seat choice advantages...
On my last two flights in CE, BA moved me out of 1C after I had reserved it and did the OLCI. Of course, they moved me to 2F or 3D, which are horrible seats compared to the left hand side of CE.

When OLCI becomes mandatory, BA is going to have a nightmare on its hands if "flight operations" decides to randomly change passenger's seats after OLCI.
Old May 22, 2006, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kibison
On my last two flights in CE, BA moved me out of 1C after I had reserved it and did the OLCI. Of course, they moved me to 2F or 3D, which are horrible seats compared to the left hand side of CE.

When OLCI becomes mandatory, BA is going to have a nightmare on its hands if "flight operations" decides to randomly change passenger's seats after OLCI.
Was this due to an aircraft change? This is why I never take 1AC at LGW any more, I've been bitten by that. In my case, a polite word at the gate and they moved me from something like 4D to 2C (presumably bumping Mr old 2C elsewhere) no problem.

It has happened on my return leg from NCE this week too - when I booked, I had 1C on a A320. Some weeks back, the return leg changed to a 757 and I'm not in 2D (no row 1)...so, not too bad (but not ideal - all the good C seats close to the front are taken).

I think I have yet (touch wood, fingers crossed, etc.) to be randomly shunted for no good reason (i.e. equipment change or broken chair which did indeed remain unoccupied during the flight).

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.