Wiki Posts
Search

OT: occupation of BA FTers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2021, 9:52 am

Programs: BA, KL, DL
Originally Posted by antichef
So are you still "somewhere in Russia"?
Not any more, I should update my profile - living back in my home county of North Yorkshire now!
antichef likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG DIamond
I left my finance job a few years back to chase my dream as an airline pilot... after less than a year flying passengers I was made redundant last summer. Absolutely gutted, but consider myself lucky to have been able to return to a finance job relatively quickly.

Very little air travel in my finance roles, but always managed to maintain status with leisure travel (and a few TP crafted holidays).
Shingi, mike&co, mpkz and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:05 am

London tube driver
Bear96 and TrainDriverSparky like this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 1:41 pm

Consultant anaesthetist
Shingi likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Retired Police Sergeant and about to become a St John’s Ambulance Voluntary Vaccinator.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:26 pm
BSS

Programs: BAEC Silver
I’m a dentist so very little work related travel but a lot of leisure travel as fortunate enough to have staff travel since I was a child as Mum worked in Engineering at BA & has recently retired

Last edited by BSS; Feb 3, 2021 at 12:34 am
Old Jan 25, 2021, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
primary school Vice principal
squawk likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by darrencobb
I was a guard for a bit in 2006 before driving , one of my old colleges is a scotrail driver now based in edinburgh.
Like u01sss3 a train guard based in Edinburgh, though a Train Manager with my company. Funnily enough knew a Darren Cobb in my early days in Birmingham.
Responsible for getting a few of my colleagues onto the BAEC ladder. Of course I try and keep FT secret so they think of me as the oracle rather than reading the collective views of FlyerTalkers.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:23 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
There are a lot of people in the rail industry on FT!

Originally Posted by KARFA
UK & European patent attorney. Trained in private practice, now in-house at a chemical company for the last 5.5 years. Very little flight travel - maybe a few trips to AMS and MUC every year. 95% of my travel is my own.
No change for me since my last report in 2016, other than I have now been at my present company for over 10 years and have some grey hairs now. Still very little work travel and none since last March, have been working from home over the last 10 months.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
There are a lot of people in the rail industry on FT!

No change for me since my last report in 2016, other than I have now been at my present company for over 10 years and have some grey hairs now. Still very little work travel and none since last March, have been working from home over the last 10 months.
Wow, and there is me thinking - what sort of job does Karfa do to get all that work travel!!
KARFA likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Recently finished my PhD in statistics, was lucky enough to have a pretty healthy travel budget during my PhD so managed a few TP optimised trips to conferences in various parts of the world. Now I am a quant at a large hedge fund, travel for work will be limited at best for the time being and even when things get back to normal, it will probably only be for a few conferences each year. The rest of my travel is personal, visiting family in various corners of the world. I consider myself very lucky to be able to travel to much!
alex67500 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by mfhpfl
London tube driver
can you tell me , what is the linespeed of you entering an underground station , if there is even one , as you lot seem to enter doing at least 40, before the domino effect occurs in the carriages with the sharp brake application 🤣👍
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I am still doing the same job as previously, working for a large US law firm and managing our data centres in the US, UK and Asia. It'll be 17 years in February since I joined my current employer and having worked in London, Belgium and now Las Vegas I have been fortunate to see a large chunk of the world as a result.

In terms of the railway industry I actually wanted to be a guard (this was me aged 5 or so) but ended up reading law at university, before ending up in IT. I was offered a role at Railtrack (as it then was) but turned that down, although the priv travel would have been good. I knew a fair few railway staff partly thanks to a driver who lived a few doors down from me when I was growing up (sadly he passed away quite a few years ago) and whose dad was a traction inspector. Not that this would ever happen now, but I did manage a few unofficial cab rides up front.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I am still doing the same job as previously, working for a large US law firm and managing our data centres in the US, UK and Asia. It'll be 17 years in February since I joined my current employer and having worked in London, Belgium and now Las Vegas I have been fortunate to see a large chunk of the world as a result.

In terms of the railway industry I actually wanted to be a guard (this was me aged 5 or so) but ended up reading law at university, before ending up in IT. I was offered a role at Railtrack (as it then was) but turned that down, although the priv travel would have been good. I knew a fair few railway staff partly thanks to a driver who lived a few doors down from me when I was growing up (sadly he passed away quite a few years ago) and whose dad was a traction inspector. Not that this would ever happen now, but I did manage a few unofficial cab rides up front.
mom quite lucky regarding priv travel, I was one of the last ever BR starters so I get free travel for myself and partner , now I believe anyone who started after April 1996 only get a card that gets them 1/4 of the fair reduced
Old Jan 25, 2021, 6:37 pm

Programs: BA Plastic. HH Diamond. Speedwell Bar Lifetime Platinum.
Originally Posted by mwp1
mom quite lucky regarding priv travel, I was one of the last ever BR starters so I get free travel for myself and partner , now I believe anyone who started after April 1996 only get a card that gets them 1/4 of the fair reduced
And us at NR have zilch! (Although I’m ex-BR and still have GBPR and FIP)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.