Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

When you book a ticket and then the price goes DOWN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When you book a ticket and then the price goes DOWN

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Angry When you book a ticket and then the price goes DOWN

Hello,

I am not a happy bunny at the moment

My father is travelling out on business to LA next week in J for nearly 3 weeks. I thought it would be really nice to buy a ticket for my Mother to go out there for a week so that they could turn his business trip into a nice holiday (well, in my Mother's words a nice shopping spree).

I was going to book the ticket in WT+, but my Mother insisted that she didn't really need it and was happy to go in WT (she is quite short - meant in a nice way!). So I went ahead and booked the ticket for 434.30 (this was last Wednesday).

So today I was just playing about on KVS and thought I'd see if Mum's flights would be busy and to my SHOCK, there seemed to be considerably more availability. I went onto BA.com and priced the trip and exactly the same flights came out at 337.30!! 100 quid less!!

I called BA to see if there was any way they would match the price / allow me to cancel the existing ticket and rebook / offer vouchers to the difference, and the lady I spoke to said there was no way possible, and that no airline in the world does that. I immediately corrected her and informed her that even easyJet offer a price promise .

Anyway, it seems there's no chance of getting a 100 back, and I'm pretty narked.

Lewis

PS it's not that the 100 is a huge amount of money, it's just the principle
PPS I realise that I booked a non-refundable ticket, but I don't expect the price of a ticket to go down once I've bought it.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:27 am

Welcome to the market, where the local time is capitalism.*

* The cost of your ticket may go up as well as down.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
That's life I'm afraid. I've priced up tickets gone back the next day and had them go up 100 GBP.

Not much you can do about it I'm afraid.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lewisturek
Anyway, it seems there's no chance of getting a 100 back, and I'm pretty narked.

Narked or naked?

You haven't been hanging around that car park at Gatwick too, have you?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

PPS I realise that I booked a non-refundable ticket, but I don't expect the price of a ticket to go down once I've bought it.
Fares can go up and down; was perhaps the cheaper fare in a fare basis that had no availability when you booked. Conversely on the issue, you wouldn't expect the airline to send you a bill for extra money should the fare go up

Dave
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:31 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Gold, Accor Gold
I had a similar moan on this thread last week.

Annoying thing to happen, but it's the way it goes.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:37 pm

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
I'd imaginea there must be some pretty peeved people who bought HKG a year ago, in economy for 580.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by tristan727
I'd imaginea there must be some pretty peeved people who bought HKG a year ago, in economy for 580.
What about the poor folk who dished out 24 GBP for the SEX....don't forget them!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 1:53 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
What about the poor folk who dished out 24 GBP for the SEX....don't forget them!
If ever usage of the appropriate article in the english language was important....
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
If ever usage of the appropriate article in the english language was important....
Would that be the English language
Old Dec 5, 2005, 2:14 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Would that be the English language
Says someone who has moved to Yankland!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA SILVER thanks to flyertalk :)
Hello,

I am not a happy bunny at the moment

PS it's not that the 100 is a huge amount of money, it's just the principle
so would you be happy if the price went up by 100 and ba called you to claim the dosh? works both ways soz
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
I don't get why people are upset by this sort of thing? I know the various (loss-making *cough*) US Carriers offer this kind of "price match" deal, but I don't see why they should bother or how it makes any sense at all. This kind of thing happens all the time with electronic goods for example - price up a laptop today on a website and within a week the same spec. may well be a fair bit less. I remember buying my first iPod and seeing it drop in price about 50 after it was delivered. I think it's a very good thing BA do this dynamically - I'd rather they sold* the last few seats (in any class) for a reduced price to actually get a contribution to costs or even better some profit, than go out with empty seats ^

Personally, I look at it like buying rounds in the pub - it balances out. I've (well, my company) has been stung for full J fares when I've needed to be somewhere last minute at times. But I've also booked early and nabbed cheapo ET/WT+ fares and had some nice OpUps, or gotten great I class fares where others haven't.

Phil
* Actually, I'd rather they offered to convert T/I/D/A class to P/U/Z class for last minute MFUs at fixed periods before the flight, staggered for PREM/GOLD/SILV/BLUE, but that's another recent thread

Last edited by GBOAC; Dec 5, 2005 at 4:31 pm
Old Dec 5, 2005, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Then you need to adjust your expectations. This happens all the time.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:02 pm

that stinks. I hate when that happens if you buy a product, like some electronic or something. several stores in the US now have a price guarantee...for instance, Circuit City:
"If you've seen a lower advertised price from another local store with the same item in stock, we want to know about it. Bring it to our attention, and we'll gladly beat their price by 10% of the difference. If you see a lower advertised price (including our own sale prices) within 30 days of your purchase, we'll refund 110% of the difference. Our policy applies only to advertised prices. It does not apply to special offers or promotions, including rebates, free-with-purchase offers and special financing."

Delta has a "Low Fare Promise"

Until more competition exists for transatlantic flights between the UK and the US (more competition aside from BA and Virgin), I don't see much happening to lower prices for consumers. It's pretty close to being a duopoly (as AA and BA are alligned). So they compete with each other but not much else. They are doing a pretty good job at not lowering their prices and offering things too much (kind of following game theory).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.