Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to get attention from BA when they don't respond back to complaints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get attention from BA when they don't respond back to complaints?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by CT-UK
Swissair, Sabena, Alitalia.... it's not quite as black and white is it?
Pretty much.

SR - bankrupt and subsumed into subsidiary LX, now bought by LH in a fire sale and will operate largely as a LH feeder.

SN - bankrupt and subsumed into much smaller SN Brussels Airlines, apparently operating successfully on a much smaller network and cost basis.

AZ - well Italians are Italians but even they seem to be running out of patience with flight and ground operations being divided between separate companies.

You could have mentioned OA, which has been on its last legs so often that it could only survive with constant hip and joint replacements.

It would have been morally and financially wrong to delay the agony any longer. The US airlines operating under Chapter 11 subsidy would not have survived until now if they had to operate on conventional accounting terms.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by alex69uk
It seems to me:

* The OP has a valid claim.
* Compensation that's been offered seems inadequate (more so given that many of us got tens of thousands of miles during GG's dispute)

Whether he has or not travel insurance is immaterial with respect to the above (as it's been pointed out customs in the US are different) as is, quite obviously, his nationality.

The point, it seems to me, is whether or not compensation should be pursued with AA or BA - after all the redemption was done with AA miles. If the F product "paid for" was not delivered to the pax it seems to me a partial refund of the miles used may be appropriate. It seems more difficult to get much out of BA given that the pax did not pay BA for the service. On the contrary AA may be able to get something out of BA given that they paid for the flight.
Sort of. What really needs to be addressed is how much of his claim is 'legal' and how much is 'customer service' related. His starting point needs to be the terms and conditions of the party he contracted with - and then follow the chain from there. And the OP needs to be aware that there are a hell fo a lot of limitation clauses in any contract with an airline.

If the OP has a legal claim that isn't being met - sue.

If the OP has a 'customer service' claim that isn't being met - it's very much a case of tough luck and the OP's only option is a boycott of BA.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Travel insurance is very uncommon in the US, and difficult to obtain.
Perhaps I was a little unclear - i don't mean full out travel insurance that one can "readily" buy in the UK (eg Columbus or the like). I'm talking about traveller's protection that is part of almost any credit card offered in the US and in the UK. Once a travel ticket is purchased with a credit card, the company offers the traveller complimentary delayed luggage compensation. At the very least, the OP should have made an inquiry becuase often airlines will request proof that compenasation from the traveller's insurance has been obtained.

On the topic of traveller's insurance in the US, it's as easy to get as cherry pie and is as common as auto, medical and home insurance.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

european free market? Try again, this may apply to the UK, hoiwever with over $22 Billion in CASH subsidies given to European airlines over the last 11 years (not to metion non cash goodies such as no taxes on jet fuel for LH and AF) and your argument is garbage. CH.11 delays payments and allows restructuring, but there is not a cent of gov. money that goes into it, that is why your miniscule bit of knowledge is spurious.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hfly
... with over $22 Billion in CASH subsidies given to European airlines over the last 11 years (not to metion non cash goodies such as no taxes on jet fuel for LH and AF) ...
How much money has actually been given in direct cash subsidies to US airlines, under the guise of post-11.09.01 support?

It seems to me that "no taxes on jet fuel for LH and AF" may be one of those misleading half-truths that some quarters are apt to trot out. IIRC, no airline pays taxes on jet fuel, whether it's used for domestic, regional (incl intra-EU) or international operations.
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually if one looks at LH and Af, one sees that it is no tax at allin their home country, including no VAT, which is a bit different. Yes US carriers right after 9/11 did receive close to $5 billion for lost business, etc. European carries also received close to $2 billion from their govs (and I am not even going into other payments to either keep them afloat or refinance them after they went bust SN. SR-LX, EI, IB, OY, etc etc.)
Old Jan 1, 2006, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by hfly
Actually if one looks at LH and Af, one sees that it is no tax at allin their home country, including no VAT, which is a bit different.
But no airline anywhere pays any tax (incl VAT) on their fuel, whether at home or downroute, as I understand the situation, so I can't see why this makes AF and LH different from anyone else.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 9:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Globaliser
But no airline anywhere pays any tax (incl VAT) on their fuel, whether at home or downroute, as I understand the situation, so I can't see why this makes AF and LH different from anyone else.
Well, they are respectively French and German! Isn't that enough?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.