Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How to get attention from BA when they don't respond back to complaints?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get attention from BA when they don't respond back to complaints?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by This Mortal Coil
I'm kinda curious - with a monicker like "DisgruntledGoat" - and with over 3346 posts - is that all you do - complain about everything in the world?

From what i see, you received the following:

- 5000 BA miles
- $250 travel voucher
- hotel night(s) covered

and since your bags were delayed by more than 6 hours, I am sure you must have dinged your travel insurance for delayed baggage compensation (and depending what card you used, they can be quite generous actually).

If all else fails, jump up and down at the BA office and see if someone responds.
Your troll is incredibly weak. And if you didn't have anything constructive to add, then you probably should have refrained from making yourself look like a fool.

No travel insurance was claimed.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
DG, the way I would probably deal with this if I was in your shoes would be to put everything in writing once again itemising your 'concern' with this issue(s) and also the upset and inconvenience this has caused you. I wuld make the letter clear and digestable without any slant towards sarcasm of blatant slagging of. I would also make them aware that you have since been informed by your 'fellow' frequent flyers that your compensation rates fairly low in ratio to what they were given and would ask the question why you have been given the impression by BA that they are not taking your issues seriously (stating the delay in them responding to just one more of your frustrations).

Keep it simple to the point and somewhat kurt (spell checker) but also polite and very professional.

The most important sway points ie FF BAEC number, class travelled should be clear at the top of the letter and then itemised problems you encountered listed underneath ie: (ignore wording it needs to be better than below)

Re: No food in F
Flight cancelled
Delayed luggage
Forfit to Safari trip
Inconvenient 2 night overstay (things to do in UK)

this could make the whole episode more dicepherable for them and allow them to understand you viewpoint more sympahetically. I think writing to 3rd party bodies could potentially jeopardise you relationship with Customer Services (think of you rating) and would not use that as a threat. I would be more inclined to phrase it 'should it be BA CS I should be dealing with on this or another body' just so the hints there but also the innocence as well. I'm rambling now but you get my drift, unfortunately patience is required in most of these unsettled issues (not telling you to suck eggs) so rather than force the issue, let it take it's course a little more o'natural otherwise I am inclined to think they will see you as a disgruntled goat in real life rather than a virtual one.

If no joy after all that then you have a choice, boycott BA and let them know why (in writing) and join another program/airline, or just let it go so it doesn't eat you up for ages.

Good luck

Last edited by pachamama; Dec 28, 2005 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pachamama
DG, the way I would probably deal with this if I was in your shoes would be to put everything in writing once again itemising your 'concern' with this issue(s) and also the upset and inconvenience this has caused you. I wuld make the letter clear and digestable without any slant towards sarcasm of blatant slagging of. I would also make them aware that you have since been informed by your 'fellow' frequent flyers that your compensation rates fairly low in ratio to what they were given and would ask the question why you have been given the impression by BA that they are not taking your issues seriously (stating the delay in them responding). Keep it simple to the point and somewhat kurt (spell checker) butalso polite and very professional. The most important sway points ie FF BAEC number, class travelled and then itemised problems you encountered could make the whole thing more dicepherable for them and allow them to understand you viewpoint more sympahetically. I think writing to 3rd party bodies could potentially jeopardise you relationship with Customer Services and would not use that as a threat. I would be more inclined to phrase it 'should it be BA CS I should be talking to to deal with this or another body' just so the hints here but also the innocence as well. I'm rambling now but you get my drift, unfortunately patience is required in most of these unsettled issues (not telling you to suck eggs) so rather than force the issue let it take it's course a little more o'natural otherwise I am inclined to think the will see you as a disgruntled goat in real life rather than virtually. If no joy after all that then you have a choice, boycott BA and let them know why (in writing) and join another program, or just let it go so it doesn't eat you up for ages.

Good luck
If BA CS said, well, the reason why your fellow flyers got more compensation was because of <reason x>, I'd say, ok - this matter is over and I choose not to fly BA unless it's a codeshare and my 5000 miles would be donated and the $250 voucher would be offered on coupon connection. I just don't understand the reason why.

Truthfully, I'm not upset or disgruntled - more confused than anything.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat
If BA CS said, well, the reason why your fellow flyers got more compensation was because of <reason x>, I'd say, ok - this matter is over and I choose not to fly BA unless it's a codeshare and my 5000 miles would be donated and the $250 voucher would be offered on coupon connection. I just don't understand the reason why.

Truthfully, I'm not upset or disgruntled - more confused than anything.
Therefore you need to write to them again so they can clarify all this to you. IMO I don't think they are being sympathetic with your issues but this could be because a number of 'things' have swayed their judgement. Personally I would do the letter route once more and see what happens.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Prem, HH Diamond, Starwood Gold,
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat
Your troll is incredibly weak. And if you didn't have anything constructive to add, then you probably should have refrained from making yourself look like a fool.

No travel insurance was claimed.
ACtually, I think you are the greater fool by complaining in the way you are. But i digress.

No travel insurance was claimed? Guess you are a bigger fool than one thought before.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by This Mortal Coil
ACtually, I think you are the greater fool by complaining in the way you are. But i digress.

No travel insurance was claimed? Guess you are a bigger fool than one thought before.
You know, I think you are being rather unfair. The OP has a series of legitimate, serious complaints that he/she had an expectation BA would put right. IMHO, they haven't addressed that fully given my experience and that of others.

Not claiming on travel insurance does seem unwise, but as we are not in full possession of the facts relating to that reason, isn't it a bit harsh to judge?
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
You know, I think you are being rather unfair. The OP has a series of legitimate, serious complaints that he/she had an expectation BA would put right. IMHO, they haven't addressed that fully given my experience and that of others.

Not claiming on travel insurance does seem unwise, but as we are not in full possession of the facts relating to that reason, isn't it a bit harsh to judge?
SH, I see you're being very kind, but really trolls are best left unfed.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:47 pm

Disgruntled Goat - may one be permitted to know why you didn't claim from your travel insurance? Usually in these circumstances, the passenger claims from the insurer and the insurer claims part (or all) from the airline - resulting in a far quicker payout for you! (This is not intended to criticise or ridicule - it's just that when postings such as yours appear on Flyertalk, it is usually because our "Frequent Flyers" don't adopt usual procedures!)

British Airways will, in the present financial climate, only compensate to the requirements of existing legislation, and/or similar precedents. At the moment, Britain does not have the same "compensation culture" that the USA rejoices in, although Americans residing in Europe are trying to get us to catch up!!!

Compensation set by US carriers cannot be compared with BA, due to the unfair practises of Government Handouts (viz. "Chapter 11 Protection" fiasco!!!) which mean they can afford to be generous with the US taxpayer's cash!!! BA does not have that luxury!

That having been said, the British spirit of fair play does exist and, if you still feel aggreived by what you perceive as inadequate recompense, perhaps a letter to Willie Walsh requesting him to be the final adjudicator might bear fruit.

Last edited by bealine; Dec 29, 2005 at 1:52 pm
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Travel insurance is very uncommon in the US, and difficult to obtain. You'll find that this truly is a cultural difference between UK and US travelers. We simply don't have the same affordable coverage available to us that you do in the UK. In general, US travelers are unaware that travel insurance can be obtained - and once educated, if we seek it out, find policies very expensive without comparable coverage to that routinely offered in Europe/UK.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
IIRC DG is US based, so may not have had the kind of comprehensive insurance we are used to having over here... there's a bit of a cultural gap which we've explored on other threads, both here and elsewhere, but basically the kind of insurance we can get in the UK is not the freely available in the US, and certainly not as cheaply Whether Amex or whatever do what we would consider "standard" coverage is another question, but if the insurance industry cannot provide the coverage, then probably not.

oops - looks like SanDiego1K and i cross-posted
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

bealine. You are proof that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your statement...."can afford to be generous with the US taxpayer's cash" shows that you have no understanding of what Ch. 11 is about, and that you not only have memorized soundbites by your Chairmen, but have confused various pronouncements over the years to the point where what you are speaking is frankly NONSENSE.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
(Deleted, because although I found the post offensive, the poster has every right to air his thoughts, even if they belong in the Omni forum.)

Last edited by Roger; Dec 29, 2005 at 2:36 pm
Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
It seems to me:

* The OP has a valid claim.
* Compensation that's been offered seems inadequate (more so given that many of us got tens of thousands of miles during GG's dispute)

Whether he has or not travel insurance is immaterial with respect to the above (as it's been pointed out customs in the US are different) as is, quite obviously, his nationality.

The point, it seems to me, is whether or not compensation should be pursued with AA or BA - after all the redemption was done with AA miles. If the F product "paid for" was not delivered to the pax it seems to me a partial refund of the miles used may be appropriate. It seems more difficult to get much out of BA given that the pax did not pay BA for the service. On the contrary AA may be able to get something out of BA given that they paid for the flight.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:52 pm

bealine. You are proof that a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. Your statement...."can afford to be generous with the US taxpayer's cash" shows that you have no understanding of what Ch. 11 is about, and that you not only have memorized soundbites by your Chairmen, but have confused various pronouncements over the years to the point where what you are speaking is frankly NONSENSE.
I beg to differ! Chapter 11 is an absolute joke to the rest of the free world! Basically, you can go broke, shrug your shoulders and get high-paid lawyers to make sure your creditors can't lean on you any more while you "restructure"!!! In the European Free Market, all of the US carriers would have been ploughed under yonks ago through their chronic mismanagement and under-achievement since 09/11. Basically, "Chapter 11" is State Assistance, or charity, regardless of how some people like to dress it up!
Old Dec 30, 2005, 2:20 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Originally Posted by bealine
I beg to differ! Chapter 11 is an absolute joke to the rest of the free world! Basically, you can go broke, shrug your shoulders and get high-paid lawyers to make sure your creditors can't lean on you any more while you "restructure"!!! In the European Free Market, all of the US carriers would have been ploughed under yonks ago through their chronic mismanagement and under-achievement since 09/11. Basically, "Chapter 11" is State Assistance, or charity, regardless of how some people like to dress it up!
Swissair, Sabena, Alitalia.... it's not quite as black and white is it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.