Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WT+ Fares & When To Buy

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
WT+ Fares & When To Buy

Sorry in advance if this has been covered before. I spent the past hour reading old threads and couldn't find my answer so here goes:

What is considered a good fare from EWR-LHR in WT+ in November? I am coming up with $680 per person round trip with all taxes and fees versus $525 per person roundtrip with all taxes and fees in WT-. Should I book this or wait out for a fare sale (which I'm guessing comes around in September?).

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:00 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

The EWR-LHR should be cheaper in WT- later on.. unless you are flying on Nov 23 and 27th.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by eagle92
Sorry in advance if this has been covered before. I spent the past hour reading old threads and couldn't find my answer so here goes:

What is considered a good fare from EWR-LHR in WT+ in November? I am coming up with $680 per person round trip with all taxes and fees versus $525 per person roundtrip with all taxes and fees in WT-. Should I book this or wait out for a fare sale (which I'm guessing comes around in September?).

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
You won't do much better than $680 r/t in the low season given the prevailing fuel surcharges. So, you could wait until mid September (or later depending on your departure date) and see if there's a fare sale. The relevant period is a 42 day advance booking but of course the fare could change between now and then.

Last edited by Imperial Special; Jul 19, 2005 at 11:43 pm
Old Jul 20, 2005, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
I think $680 is excellent. From lhr-ewr would price up at 750 ($1300ish). The fare difference is very small between WT and WT+ so grab it now, I cannot see it going any lower.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Location: EWR, USA, AA 1MM Gold, United Premier Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Thanks everyone. My dates of travel are November 11th out and November 26th in. Sounds like with the holiday and the relative small difference between WT- and WT+ it may make sense for me to just pull the trigger on this one.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks everyone. My dates of travel are November 11th out and November 26th in. Sounds like with the holiday and the relative small difference between WT- and WT+ it may make sense for me to just pull the trigger on this one.
Pull it... pull it now.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 7:56 am
Suspended

Don't forget you only need 25k BA Miles to upgrade this WT+ fare round trip - with 15k of those ebing obtainable by signing up for the BA VISA at www.ba.com

Not only would you get to sit in Club World but you would still get 125% of miles flown, 75 tier points each way and the potential to add on European side trip in Club Europe (plus an additional 40 tier points) for around $100 more.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by apudme
Don't forget you only need 25k BA Miles to upgrade this WT+ fare round trip - with 15k of those ebing obtainable by signing up for the BA VISA at www.ba.com

Not only would you get to sit in Club World but you would still get 125% of miles flown, 75 tier points each way and the potential to add on European side trip in Club Europe (plus an additional 40 tier points) for around $100 more.
If I was traveling alone I would definitely do this, but I am traveling with my wife and we have nowhere near the miles needed for the upgrade for both of us even with the credit card (I have 7.5K and wife has none). Besides, this is part of a trip that we are continuing onto to CAI using AA miles for free tickets in FIRST (LHR-CAI in FIRST both ways). That will give us access to the Spa and lounges in LHR both ways.

For the extra few bucks we'll splurge for the WT+ for the trip across the pond and be able to check our bags all the way through.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
Besides, this is part of a trip that we are continuing onto to CAI ....
Oh no, don't get the board started on ex-CAI trips...
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yyzlhr
Oh no, don't get the board started on ex-CAI trips...
Yeah...I've read some of those. No....I'm not going there to start a RTW trip. Wife and I are going to visit our 1000s of relatives who couldn't make it to our wedding here in the States last year. It is going to be one of those trips that both of us are going to need a vacation from after we come back. Either that or marriage counseling!
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:06 am
Suspended

...we have nowhere near the miles needed for the upgrade for both of us even with the credit card (I have 7.5K and wife has none).
It may be just too much hassle, but if you both individually applied for the 15k credit card bonus, and purchased the missing 12.5k miles you would have enough if you combined your accounts into a household account.

7.5k existing
15k eagle92 Visa Sign Up Bonus
15k mrs eagle92 Visa Sign Up bonus
12.5k purchased miles
50k TOTAL = x2 WT+ to NCW upgrades

As I say, complex, but I just put it out there for others who may be thinking along the same lines.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are two ways of looking at it. Are you willing to travel in Y?
If yes, then it's probably better to wait for a sale.
If not, you're better off buying the WTP fare now.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - I think I'm going to go ahead and splurge for WTP. Not that I like it much better than coach, but at least my wife and I can get two seats next to each other and not have to share a row of three with one of us in the middle seat. Also, since it is not much more than coach we may as well go for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.