Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grrrr Moscow

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci, BA-GGL, LH-Sen
Originally Posted by heartybob
Compare that to my recent ET KBP-LHR, also an ex-LHR band 4, where the "catering" was a tuna mayo roll and one drinks round

My complaint to CS so far remains unanswered
Though in fairness didn't BBB tell us there's a specific issue with KBP? Even CE catering isn't band 4 standard from there.

Anyhow, I share Smirnoff's dilema every time I fly. It's not that ET is so good. It's that CE has been so de-valued over the years. And particularly so on our beloved 767s. It's just not good value for money at J-class fares.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cyba
Though in fairness didn't BBB tell us there's a specific issue with KBP? Even CE catering isn't band 4 standard from there.

Anyhow, I share Smirnoff's dilema every time I fly. It's not that ET is so good. It's that CE has been so de-valued over the years. And particularly so on our beloved 767s. It's just not good value for money at J-class fares.
Indeed. The seat was always crap. The IFE was always crap. But when they took away the tablecloths, the hot towels, the nuts, the magazines, the chocolates (at a saving of GBP2.99 per passenger), they devalued the product so much, it's very hard to justify paying the extra.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Smirnoff
Indeed. The seat was always crap. The IFE was always crap. But when they took away the tablecloths, the hot towels, the nuts, the magazines, the chocolates (at a saving of GBP2.99 per passenger), they devalued the product so much, it's very hard to justify paying the extra.
But, consider that there was a time when the CE seat was not considered crap but that since then other carriers have moved on while BA doesn't (or moves backward with the new 320s - at least they now know to keep the E-seats empty).

Consider also that the CE seat wasn't so crap but is now old and you can't rest your glass on the little side-tray because it's wonky, and that the reading lights don't work because they're constantly flickering, and that there's stains all over the bulkhead from that turbulence over Austria 3 weeks ago that sent all the coffee cups flying.

Consider also that IFE used to be cutting edge. When I was young, (much younger than I am now) BA's introduction of in-flight movies on the LCA route was a point of difference but of course it isn't any more and if the screens are working then the headphones aren't and vice versa.

So while the hard product goes south, the prices go north. And passengers go to the back or they go elsewhere and then they wonder where we are.

PS: See! You always get me started. I'll stop now.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
BBB ddn't refer to a specific issue with KBP, which is an ex-LHR Band 4 just like DME (and LED, OTP, ATH, IST and LCA to name but a few others).

What he said was that catering for the return KBP-LHR sector is loaded into the hold of the A319/320/321 at LHR and shifted to the galley at KBP.

Make a dummy ET flight booking on ba.com for any of these Band 4 destinations and the price quote page says "complimentary drinks and hot food to suit the time of day".

So why serve only a tuna mayo roll and a single drink?

I asked BA CS this same question more than 3 weeks ago. I'm still waiting for a reply.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by heartybob
BBB ddn't refer to a specific issue with KBP, which is an ex-LHR Band 4 just like DME (and LED, OTP, ATH, IST and LCA to name but a few others).

What he said was that catering for the return KBP-LHR sector is loaded into the hold of the A319/320/321 at LHR and shifted to the galley at KBP.
Don't know if this is still a valid reason and I certainly don't think CS should take so long to get back to you but this is what was said at the time about ex-KBP flights:

Originally Posted by BBB
Not normal. We are having ongoing catering issues in KBP due to the catering contractor loosing its license. There is no Band 4 catering in Traveller, sandwiches only, which are carried out from LHR.

KBP is a complete mess at the moment. Should be sorted out soon, hopefully...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14331654-post114.html
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I think this just supports the argument that CE at £1600 for use-it-or-lose-it or £2000 for a flexi ticket is not worth the extra money.

For £2000, I would expect to have a hot towel, a seat that isn't broken, nuts or pretzels with my drink, no onboard floods from the galley, and a slightly different differentiation in product from the back. This is what our Dear Leader fails to grasp, and exactly why the CE cabin is empty these days.
Would you consider paying, say, GBP 3k - GBP 4k for Club World on the same route?
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold; HH Gold; M&M; PS Classic; VV Silver (deceased); BD Silver (deceased).
Don't know if this is still a valid reason and I certainly don't think CS should take so long to get back to you but this is what was said at the time about ex-KBP flights:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14331654-post114.html
This is the post I was thinking about:

Originally Posted by BingBongBoy

KBP is hold loaded for the return catering, and this always seems to throw them for a loop. I did a TIP recently, and the hold loaded return catering consisted of, in Club, breakfast trays and amenities, with Lunch/Dinner hots... So, would you like prawn pasta with your yogurt and croissant?
On that flight there was no catering at all ex-KBP.

But I digress - this thread is about Moscow ...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: SU,LX,BA,AA,LH FF holder
SU has a way better product on the London Moscow route...Business is better...planes are newer and the food.....mmmm
Don't forget that SVO 3 is up and running.....
Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I do not actually mind CE on planes like the 320's, seeming as I have only flown on the newer ones and it all seems clean and nice. CE on the 767's is something else though- I was in row 12 the last time I travelled, and the bulkhead was filthy, seats had old crumbs down them and chewing gum on the side wall, the plane stunk of vomit and it was rattling like mad at take off! The IFE is just a joke, on both legs of the journey I made the TV screens were completely broken- I also had different 767's, so it wasn't just a problem with one of them! I think BA need to send these down to CWL for a good proper refit, including 777 interiors, new IFE, new seats all round including the newer ET seats, that would give them a good new lease of life!
Old Oct 19, 2010, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are new CE fares to DME - the lowest we have ever seen.

Booked into R class, the new fare is £880+tax = £894, and requires a Saturday night stop.

Still more than the cheapest ET fare (O class) + PAUG (£262+£200e/w = £662), but much much much lower than any CE fare ever seen on this route.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E

Still more than the cheapest ET fare (O class) + PAUG (£262+£200e/w = £662), but much much much lower than any CE fare ever seen on this route.
Funny but this price reduction for C on LHR-DME route is happening in both bmi and BA (both now quote at around £900 vs. previous £1,500). Interestingly SU still quotes at £1,400. Wonder if it is likely they will ever get down to £581 they charge for CE on LHR-LED route.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist

Booked into R class, the new fare is £880+tax = £894, and requires a Saturday night stop.

Yes, I noticed this recently, but unfortunately I am not staying a Saturday night. I have a 'B' class fare for about £660 (IIRC - I will correct when I can check if this far off).

I don't need the TPs and have 27K for both 767 flights, so with lounge access I should have a pretty good experience, although are there ever "reasonable" upgrade fares offered at OLCI?

I have a TA booking, so cannot upgrade before.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 6:44 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I was just making a booking for travel to MOW, and noted that BA appears to have downgraded (or enhanced?) at least some of the flights from the 767 to the A320. I generally prefer SU or BD, but as they were fully booked in J for my dates and times (perhaps a consequence of the BA change of aircraft?) I ended up booking BA. Does anyone know if this is temporary, or permanent for the winter schedule?
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The 874/875 has been operating with a A320 at weekends for some time.

However, I see that throughout November there appears to be only one B767 rotation per day - and it varies day by day whether its the 872/3 or the 874/5 operated by A320.

It could be that they are one 767 down - replacing the duct tape and re-sealing the leaks from the drains.

Loads have been pretty good on my recent flights - CE was back to row 16 last Wednesday, with only a few spare seats.

Last edited by Smirnoff; Oct 31, 2010 at 9:01 am
Old Oct 31, 2010, 10:03 am

Programs: VS Silver, QF Club, SPG Gold, Amex Plat, HHouners Gold.
BA to Moscow

Hi All,
I am flying to DME with BA in December, in Euro Traveller. I believe that both ways are on the 767.
Can anyone advise what the service will be on board and any general advice re visiting moscow. It's my first time in Russia !
Thank You

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.