Grrrr Moscow

Old Apr 19, 05, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA-blue :( sad times
Grrrr Moscow

Can you guys help -

I am trying to get to Moscow next week - but it looks fully booked coming back.
Anyone know any alternate routes?
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by stoney
Can you guys help -

I am trying to get to Moscow next week - but it looks fully booked coming back.
Anyone know any alternate routes?
I spent 18 months in Moscow - no decent connecting services for BA if the direct is full. If you don't want to fly Aeroflot, then Swiss via either Zurich or Geneva is a good bet.
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI Gold, SQ PPS, VS Silver, PC IC Plat Amb, HH Diam, SW Gold, Tesco sad, FR 0.01s
LH should be the easiest one for availability - they have much more routes (Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Dusseldorf + + ) all connected to London. I flew with them in March and the plane was half-full (russians say half-empty )
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
Originally Posted by mishkira
LH should be the easiest one for availability - they have much more routes (Frankfurt, Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, Dusseldorf + + ) all connected to London. I flew with them in March and the plane was half-full (russians say half-empty )
Agreed. LH has the largest presence by a non-Russian carrier in MOW. Unfortunately using them will mean (re)acquainting yourself with the delights and charms of SVO-2.

SN Brussels is worth considering - A319 to BRU and then connect on BA to LHR or SN to LGW. They use DME IIRC.

LX is a good option simply because they use DME. ZRH is arguably easier to connect through than BRU but takes you more out of yoiur way than BRU.

Other airlines worth looking at are SK (via ARN splits the journey into two 2 hour flights), who have decent service in C. KL worth considering on the basis of the route being short via AMS.

AZ and others I would rulke out due to the extent to which you are dragged out of your way to connect.
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
The connections via HEL on AY should be quite good (and OW points to boot..)
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:51 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Try SU. It's cheaper and has bettter seats in J than BA, and Y is just fine.

Transaero (UN) also flies non-stop LGW-DME daily. I believe that LX generally has the best connections to London, but AY, OS and SN also appear to have some reasonable schedules. Also try LH, KL, AF or AZ.
Old Apr 19, 05, 10:59 am
norodnik

Stoney,

I fly to DME every 2 weeks.

Good alternatives are.

LX via Zurich. Connecting times are reasonable and you can usually get good prices, including J for around 800 GBP

If the s really hits the fan, fly Austrian through Vienna. Austrian are (IMHO) 2nd rate carrier now but they are still a safe, Western airline. Last 2 times I flew VIE-SVO the plane had less than 40 people on it (yes, its SVO and not DME for Austrian). Be-careful as Austrian have 1 flight a day on their metal and the others are on SU metal

Finally, take food if flying Austrian. You have to pay for it in Eco and, believe me, it makes BA look like Egon Ronay personally cooks for them by way of comparison.

Last edited by norodnik; Apr 19, 05 at 11:12 am

Old Apr 19, 05, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quyick response on this one....

OK, I am looking at Finnair via Helsinki - I want the miles
Can I use the lounge on my BA silver card?

& who is SU? Is that Finnair?
Old Apr 19, 05, 11:37 am
Original Member

Thanks for the quyick response on this one....

SU is Aeroflot. AY is Finnair. There is a thread on this [BA] forum about 1-2 months back discussing the pros and cons of SU versus BA, and a number of regular posters (myself included) speak quite favorably of SU, particularly in J (it's all much the same in Y). SU's airplanes are currently newer than BA's on the Moscow run, and all Airbus (other than the odd Il-96).

I believe that a BA Silver card should provide lounge access in HEL. You might want to stock up on liquid refreshment to help sustain yourself for the arrival at SVO.
Old Apr 19, 05, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTG + Platinum, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

SU is Aeroflot. If you have BA Silv/OW Sapphire then you should be able to use the AY lounges when flying on AY, yep. (I know nothing about Moscow as I've never been, but if BA have a lounge in the same terminal as AY then they should also let you in their lounge with your card and an onward connection on a OW airline).

Phil
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:17 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GBOAC
(I know nothing about Moscow as I've never been, but if BA have a lounge in the same terminal as AY then they should also let you in their lounge with your card and an onward connection on a OW airline).
Phil
BA and AY are at different airports in Moscow. The SVO lounge is contract, so I'm not sure if 1W status would qualify for entry. It probably depends on how generous the check-in desk is feeling (SVO lounge access requires a date-stamped invitation).
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

OK so I'v found a flight with 3 different carriers through Finnair.
Will the SU flights be tier/mile earning? Still classed as 1w?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm new to this point collecting buisness.

Outbound

AY5904 LHR -> HEL
Operated by BA

AY6844 HEL -> SVO
Operated by SU

Inbound

AY6843 SVO -> HEL
Operated by SU

AY835 HEL -> LHR
Old Apr 19, 05, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
OK so I'v found a flight with 3 different carriers through Finnair.
Will the SU flights be tier/mile earning? Still classed as 1w?

Sorry for all the questions - I'm new to this point collecting buisness.

Outbound

AY5904 LHR -> HEL
Operated by BA

AY6844 HEL -> SVO
Operated by SU

Inbound

AY6843 SVO -> HEL
Operated by SU

AY835 HEL -> LHR

Hi ,

I doubt you will get BA miles for the SU operated flights (AY flight numbers) as it is operated by a non-ow partner ( this is common for a lot of FF programmes).
You will get miles/points for the AY/BA operated legs

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 19, 05, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
As I mentioned above, try SN Brussels Airlines. They will give you BA Miles (no tier points) between Brussels and Moscow, and will give you miles and tier points between Brussels and the UK. The service on board is pretty good too.
Old Apr 19, 05, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a perfect Finnair connection daily, leave SVO at 12.50, arr HEL 13.35, connection at 14.05 arr LHR15.10.

You get double tier points, 40+40 for SVO-LHR.
If you book AY return ticket, you can get it for 900, half the BA fare.

I am also in Moscow next week, coming back this way on 30th.

You can also waitlist for a BA flight. Usually lots of movement in waitlist as people hold seats on Friday flights ex DME, especially that weekend as its a long holiday weekend there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: