Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Miles with Travelex is back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
Just bought £2,500 from the Russell Sq. branch - and the receipt says i'll earn 2500 miles - I'm assuming that the triple miles will post in one big sweep at the end of the promotion as per the double miles promo last year.

All was a bit laborious as my bank needed an extra security check - the Travelex gang didn't know how to deal with this (basically call a number for authorisation!) but I persevered and eventually they found someone who knew what they were doing.

And in case anyone else needs to know, the branch at the Trocadero doesn't stock Sterling TCs - they recommended either Selfridges or the two in/near Russell Sq.
You did well there. When I went to Russell Sq last year, they wanted Photo ID and address ID and then after calling head office and much discussion would only sell me £2k of TCs, and then only on completion of a money-laundering questionaire. Although very convenient, I had completely given up on them and never went back.

Is the place not the pits though, sharing one's space with the junkies and other odd-sods quueing for the PO counters ?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:51 am

Another thought that could be useful. I ordered once or twice online for collection at LHR for dates when I was due to fly and then changed my travel plans. A quick email got the date and terminal changed. I suppose that one could buy online and then change the collection from somewewhere totally different such as a town location.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
You did well there. When I went to Russell Sq last year, they wanted Photo ID and address ID and then after calling head office and much discussion would only sell me £2k of TCs, and then only on completion of a money-laundering questionaire. Although very convenient, I had completely given up on them and never went back.

Is the place not the pits though, sharing one's space with the junkies and other odd-sods quueing for the PO counters ?
I didn't use the one in the Post office (which agreed is hideous), but the one a bit down Southampton Row towards Holborn - literally just south of Russell Sq.

They needed photo ID - my new Photo Driving License was fine - that has my address on as well, so wasn't asked for anything else. There were blank looks when presented with the Exec Club card - but another word with the chap in the back sorted that one.

It may be worth giving them a go - I'll certainly be going back, so I'm sure they'll get used to the procedure if others do as well!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by ChickenOrBeef
I didn't use the one in the Post office (which agreed is hideous), but the one a bit down Southampton Row towards Holborn - literally just south of Russell Sq.

They needed photo ID - my new Photo Driving License was fine - that has my address on as well, so wasn't asked for anything else. There were blank looks when presented with the Exec Club card - but another word with the chap in the back sorted that one.

It may be worth giving them a go - I'll certainly be going back, so I'm sure they'll get used to the procedure if others do as well!
Ah yes - thats where I managed my £10k at half commission bulk purchase last year. I would stress that there is no point trying that again though, as they got very shirty when I asked to do another !!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 7:58 am

I tried ordering online using my Visa Delta card and got the response 'sorry we cannot fulfil your request because your card has been used for several orders recently with us'.

I rang Dover (01304 867005) and the nice lady said that it wasn't actually them refusing the order because of BA Miles laundering but because my card issuer has a floor limit which can't cope with £2.5k orders online, but there is no online referral system. So she will send the order off and I pay on collection when I have my card in hand which allows referral if necessary.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:12 am

Programs: BA EC: silver
Ah at last - my first chance to join in the miles collecting madness!

So in summary, the cheapest option is to go to an outlet offering a fixed £2 commission rather than 1.5% (LGW being the only known place to offer this), buy the maximum that you can (probably £2500) and use a Maestro card or similar to pay for it. You could pay with a Tesco Visa card if you immediately paid it off again (or even paid it off in advance) to avoid the charges that would start as soon as the payment hit the account.

That way a first class ticket to the USA would cost £40 plus taxes and charges (being 150,000 divided by 7,500 multiplied by £2) and would mean 20 transactions, involving signing 1000 times (if they do £100 cheques) and 2000 times (if they only do £50 cheques). This assumes a constant maximum of £2500 and no refusal by Travelex to transact due to tiresome repetition.

If the LGW fixed £2 commission applies also to foreign currency transactions, could you buy one lot of foreign currency and then convert it back again for £4? I suppose the rates would be unfavourable and you would lose out that way.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by lowlyblue
Ah at last - my first chance to join in the miles collecting madness!
If the LGW fixed £2 commission applies also to foreign currency transactions, could you buy one lot of foreign currency and then convert it back again for £4? I suppose the rates would be unfavourable and you would lose out that way.
Don't even go there with foreign currency. Cheaper to buy a full fare F ticket than take the hits that you would on that sort of transaction with Travelex.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:37 am

Some banks take three days to clear TC's, like cheques. To get around it, my bank has suggested a great way of getting them to hit your account immediately, rather than waiting. The post office will cash sterling TC's for you, for free. Then, just pay the cash into your account. Sorted.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by lowlyblue
You could pay with a Tesco Visa card if you immediately paid it off again (or even paid it off in advance) to avoid the charges that would start as soon as the payment hit the account.
Some visa cards may treat it like a cash advance transaction though, and charge an extra commission on top (I know mine does), as well as interest charges from day one. Don't know if Tesco does, or if the extra points/miles would be worth it for the extra cash you'd have to pay if this were the case.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Dave_C
Some banks take three days to clear TC's, like cheques. To get around it, my bank has suggested a great way of getting them to hit your account immediately, rather than waiting. The post office will cash sterling TC's for you, for free. Then, just pay the cash into your account. Sorted.

But what are their money-laundering threshholds ?? I would guess very low. One of my banks (at which I have been a customer for 10 years) recently made an enormous gerfuffle when I tried to deposit (note: deposit not cash) £3k of TCs as this triggered their moneylaundering checks.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Some visa cards may treat it like a cash advance transaction though, and charge an extra commission on top (I know mine does), as well as interest charges from day one. Don't know if Tesco does, or if the extra points/miles would be worth it for the extra cash you'd have to pay if this were the case.
I think that ALL credit cards would charge a cash advance fee for this, as the transaction comes up as a cash advance, rather than a purchase. This is why there are often security issues using a debit card.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver, several other less interesting cards...
When will the mileage be paid into our EC accounts?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
But what are their money-laundering threshholds ?? I would guess very low. One of my banks (at which I have been a customer for 10 years) recently made an enormous gerfuffle when I tried to deposit (note: deposit not cash) £3k of TCs as this triggered their moneylaundering checks.
Where I work we have to submit money laundering reports for more than £2k cash paid in.

If someone came in with £5000 of TCs though I'd be more likely to ask them their FT handle

srbrenna, miles usual take a few weeks, Travelex say give it a month to hit your account. Then when nothing happens after that lapses email the customer service department with a very non-descript email saying you were expecting xxxxx miles o hit your account and nothing has happened yet. Rectification happens soon after

Last edited by fbgdavidson; Jan 10, 2005 at 9:07 am
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:09 am

Programs: BA/BMI/RZGP Gold, AA/Amex Plat, IC Plat RA, HH Diamond, VS Silver
Talking

Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
If someone came in with £5000 of TCs though I'd be more likely to ask them their FT handle
lol! Before long we should have FT-Express queues at the LGW Travelex and all Post Offices!!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 9:12 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
Anyone know if the Travelex frequent user card could be of any use here? Was mentioned in FT in April, but no reply - the person seemed convinced it would reduce the fees here, but the Travelex website just talks about Money Transfers with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.