Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Miles with Travelex is back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:01 am

Originally Posted by fraisse10
But not, IME Travelex in branches of Marks and Spencer.
If the store's on the website, it should earn you the miles.

As for the online / real store comparison, don't forget that switch cards are fee-free at both. The other differences online is a max of 2500 worth of orders per day, I believe, and a more limited range of pick-up locations.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Anyone know if there is a 2 flat fee at Gatwick still? Anywhere else to avoid the higher fee for 2500 TCs?

Originally Posted by bobnick
I've already pointed out that high street branches are eligible.

Gatwick was popular as it had a 2 flat fee structure. Other airports are popular as you may have noticed that people here go through them regularly.
If you don't live in the middle of zone 1, there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to other branches to switch between.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:16 am

Delta transactions

Last year although I was charged 15/transaction on my Delta card, when I rang the card issuer and queried it they refunded every time saying that purchase of stg TCs is like cash.

So although Switch is trouble free, Delta should be ok but involves another step.

Another tip from last year: the landside T4 departures Travelex seemed to have at least one machine which corrupted the FF card number....make sure you keep all receipts!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
Probably cant, but could do a mileage run flying over to LHR on a cheap flight for the day and clean the place out ....

I would not reccomend this. FT'ers will be all over this offer. I dont think I would even rist driving up to Heathrow as the place will probably be cleaned out.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by bobnick
If the store's on the website, it should earn you the miles.
The one at M&S Marble Arch point-blank refused last time.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:06 am

Originally Posted by fraisse10
The one at M&S Marble Arch point-blank refused last time.
I had a refusal as well (at Gatwick) for EC points - chase it up with Travelex if it happens again. The T&C's are clear.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:24 am

Programs: Falconflyer Gold
I've read everything 3 times now and just about understand what's going on.

The idea is to:
1. Get Sterling Travellers Cheques only.
2. Buy the above at a Travelex in person (not online as higher commission charge), present BAEC Card, pay a flat rate fee (2.00 sounds rather good).
3. Take said Travellers Cheques to your own bank pay into your own account.

Repeat to fade.

Question.
I'm now off to find a Travelex in York with a 2 commission fee. The Branch finder on Travelex's website only lists bureaus in airports. Are there any others (like in M&S as mentioned) and are they part of this promotion?

Edit..
Just dug out my card and it was "valid until 09/04." I presume it will still work (read other threads for people checking in) but will I get any hassle from Travelex for using it?

Last edited by yorweb; Jan 10, 2005 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Silver, Lufthansa Senator
Last year I changed 5k at LGW under the 2 flat fee commission.

If I use my Switch card at a non-flat fee commission rate do I pay 1.5% of the amount exchanged? Anyone else had luck contesting the commission on Switch because it's buying TCs?

Thanks
Matty
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by MrBo
Hi all
Missed the last Travelex Promo and have couple of questions.
Will Visa Delta Debit Cards incur charges for buying these.
Is the Sterling Commision set at a charge or %?
Cheers
There have been some confusing responses ... the simple answer is ... it depends!

It depends on the card issuer. Nationwide Visa Delta cards do not incur a charge. Banks' cards generally do - best to ask your bank.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
Originally Posted by yorweb
... Just dug out my card and it was "valid until 09/04." I presume it will still work ...
I doubt it. Haven't you had a replacement? If not, I'm sure the invalid one will be rejected as ... invalid.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Roger
I doubt it. Haven't you had a replacement? If not, I'm sure the invalid one will be rejected as ... invalid.
I think it'll work just fine. The only sites doing the 2 fee last time were LGW and either Stansted or Luton. You'll have to pony up the 1.5% I'm afraid!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
2 flat fee

Sorry to bring this up again, but am I correct in thinking that no Travelex outlet (well at least in the London area) currently offers the flat 2 fee? TIA.

Edit: Crossed post with bobnik - his answer implies no outlet is currently offering the flat fee.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, PC Ambassador, SPG Gold
At the 1.5% commission rate, you are effectively buying miles at 0.5p per mile, way under BA's rate of 1.7p per mile, so even then its a cracking deal. If you can find it at 2 per transaction, then good on you!

Just one question. There appears to be an online limit of 2,500 per transaction, does this apply to physical visits to a Travelex. If not, is there a limit for physical visits? Could I go in and order 25k GBP of T/Cs?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by alex69uk
Edit: Crossed post with bobnick - his answer implies no outlet is currently offering the flat fee.
Can't say for sure (was going to give LGW a ring later) but I presume the offer is still on at gatwick, but at no central Travelex outlets. Travelex were running the at gatwick compete with its rivals who are dotted around LGW - but they never offered the same deal in London.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by PhilH
Just one question. There appears to be an online limit of 2,500 per transaction, does this apply to physical visits to a Travelex. If not, is there a limit for physical visits? Could I go in and order 25k GBP of T/Cs?
I tried to order thru batravelmoney.com once (but said my card had been used too many times) and it rejected. I phoned up LGW directly and ordered 5k GBP, or reserved them, basically gave them my name and amount. No formal process and this worked fine. Remember you will be there eons countersigning with 25k I was told by the girl that I may miss my flight.....thankfully I didn't have that to worry about and just smiled back at her!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.