Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Triple Miles with Travelex is back

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by tristan727
£2,500 - type in a million & it will tell you this.
Max single transaction I have done was £10k pre-arranged with Travelex Southampton Row, but they then got iffy and would not do any more large single transactions.

Large online bookngs can be problematic because of security issues with debit card issuers, so for ordinary airport transactions, I now do them in £3k blocks (paying cash and not pre-booked online) although the max online booking is £2.5k and there is a risk that if you do not pre-book they do not have enough TCs.

There are many Travelex outles landside at LHR (although not all stock reasonable quantitiies of GBP TCs) so it is possible to buy a fair quantity in one run. Each outlet seems to have its own view of the money laundering rules. The most restrictive is the T1 Premium Check in Area where the guy now groans when he sees me coming and won't sell me more than £2k in one go !

I had not actually bothered to total up how many miles I had bought, but have now done so and it comes to 170,291 miles at a cost of £674.50.

Last edited by Frequentflyer99; Jan 10, 2005 at 3:08 am
Old Jan 10, 2005, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by MrBo
Only asking the questions becuase I read through the entire thread from last year and there didn't seem to be a definitive answer.
Hey MrBo, the delta question made up 50% of the questions that weren't answered on the website Mind you, sterling commission is 1.5% !

I would have *thought* that delta transactions were charge free, but someone did seem to be charged last time around.

Last edited by bobnick; Jan 10, 2005 at 3:58 am
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:03 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
What I understand is that FF miles are, according to the Travelex website, only given through batravelmoney.com 'exclusively to BAEC members', this means using a debit card & thus incurring a double-whack of fees, making it not particularily worthwhile.

Presumably this is the same case for the triple miles promo, & thus the only solution is to buy direct at the outlet & then harrass/push Travelex to award triple points?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:08 am

What I understand is that FF miles are, according to the Travelex website, only given through batravelmoney.com 'exclusively to BAEC members', this means using a debit card & thus incurring a double-whack of fees, making it not particularily worthwhile.

Presumably this is the same case for the triple miles promo, & thus the only solution is to buy direct at the outlet & then harrass/push Travelex to award triple points?
Do you not have a switch / solo card (which is free)?
Either way, purchasing at a Travelex outlet also offers triple miles - as made very clear by the terms and conditions (the link of which was published above):

You will be awarded triple BA Miles on foreign exchange transactions (purchase or sale of non Sterling currency notes or travellers cheques and Sterling travellers cheques) upon production of your British Airways Executive Club Card at a Travelex UK location or when you conduct a foreign exchange transaction on-line or by telephone with Travelex and you provide your British Airways Executive Club Card details.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:13 am

thanks for clarifying that - now I have to rush home and see if that switch card is still lying around the house somewhere!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:26 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
Last year the guys at Travelex Gatwick (no doubt because of the £2 promotion) were getting really shirty about doing Sterling TCs. One guy had even worked out that we (BA EC members) could fly to the US and back First Class for doing just 30 transactions costing just £60!!!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Had the mad thought of converting a largish sum of Euros sitting in my account but looked at the rates on their website and they are like 2% off (each way!) of the current spot price. Yeek!

Not having done this before, £cash to £TC on the spot at a Travelex point and later payment into your bank seems the way to go.

Last edited by alex69uk; Jan 10, 2005 at 3:42 am Reason: clarification
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:39 am

What I don't understand is why everyone here seems to be going/have gone to the Airport travelex's - if means meeting same people every time & peeving them off - can't you vary it with the high street branches too, or not eligible/more expensive?
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by alex69uk
Had the mad thought of converting a largish sum of Euros sitting in my account but looked at the rates on their website and they are like 2% off (each way!) of the current spot price. Yeek!

Not having done this before, cash on the spot at a Travelex point and later redemption seems the way to go.
Sterling TCs bought with a switch card is best...
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:42 am

What I don't understand is why everyone here seems to be going/have gone to the Airport travelex's - if means meeting same people every time & peeving them off - can't you vary it with the high street branches too, or not eligible/more expensive?
I've already pointed out that high street branches are eligible.

Gatwick was popular as it had a £2 flat fee structure. Other airports are popular as you may have noticed that people here go through them regularly.
If you don't live in the middle of zone 1, there isn't a lot of choice when it comes to other branches to switch between.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by bobnick
I've already pointed out that high street branches are eligible.
But not, IME Travelex in branches of Marks and Spencer.
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:51 am

Programs: CX Gold, SPG Plat, PC Plat, TAP Gold
What's the consensus here on whether purchases should be made online or whether should be made in-store?

Online For: Printable evidence that triple miles should be awarded, guarantee that sufficient Sterling TCs will be available for pick up, no need to carry large sums of cash.

Online against: Cash handling fees for cards.

In-store For: Possible avoidance of cash handling fees when using debit card, definite avoidance of fees if using cash.

In-store Against: Possible lack of availability of enough TCs (or as bad only available in £10s!!!!), less documentary evidence of the triple miles eligibility, risk of carrying large sums of cash, greater chance of a pi**ed off branch manager refusing you on the basis that this is your seventeenth visit this week!
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:56 am

Some stores (M&S) do not give miles and some (Selfridges) charge a higher commission rate; although this is compensated in the case of Selfridges by the nice Italian girl who works there at the weekend. Another one who groans at my approach although she does now seem some humour in the situation .....
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Trying to work out how I can do this from abroad
Old Jan 10, 2005, 3:58 am

Originally Posted by lucab1982
Trying to work out how I can do this from abroad
Probably cant, but could do a mileage run flying over to LHR on a cheap flight for the day and clean the place out ....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.