Wiki Posts
Search

Special meals and the deli box

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Special meals and the deli box

A fairly simple question this.

In Euro Traveller how do the special meal choices (whatever the option is) to the standard deli-box everyone else gets served, especially on shorter legs to, say, ZRH, TXL or BCN?
Old Jan 8, 2005, 11:45 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
I'm not exactly sure, but I remember when the All Day Deli Sandwiches were around there were a certain number of vegetarian ones that were carried on each flight that passengers asked for when they were chucking them out. But now... well it's something sweet or something savoury. Don't think there's Something Vegetarian!

Edited to add: I think for e.g. the paninis there are normally two choices one being veg. e.g. Cheese and Ham or just Cheese.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
All special meals except SFML,FPML and BBML can be ordered on the flights that you mention,but not if the flight departs between 9.30 and 11.29 or 14.00 to 16.29.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 12:55 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Can I help you
All special meals except SFML,FPML and BBML can be ordered on the flights that you mention,but not if the flight departs between 9.30 and 11.29 or 14.00 to 16.29.
How consistent is this? I have been able to order a VLML meal on mid morning ET flights. Although tagged up as VLML (along with name, seat number etc) its the standard deli box with hot cheese panini. Or deli box minus hot cheese panini in the those cases when only the ham option is loaded.
Old Jan 8, 2005, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If it is on a flight where the hot ham or cheese panini is served it will be the cheese panini.Your meal will be served first before the other passengers with any other special meal requests.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Something vegetarian... I think something savoury would qualify for that.

I have a TXL and ZRH in ET coming up and I'm just thinking of the best way to aviod having to eat the something boxes. I could always book easyJet...
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
First time with All Day Deli

I had my first experience with the Deli Box over the Xmas period on my trip to CPH.

On first glance, it looked better than I was expecting and there was a fair amount of food - hot pizza stick, lemon muffin, fruit salad, mini Kit-Kat and water. It's just that with the exception of the water and the Kit-Kat it was all revolting.

I was quite looking forward to trying the ham and cheese hot panini, but we had this pizza stick instead. Not sure if this is a new item, as I've not read about it on here before, but it was basically the bottom half of a soggy hot dog roll with tomato paste and melted cheese on top - even the crew were looking bemused as they handed it out.

The muffin was incredibly sticky and sickly, and the fruit salad tasted so sweet like it was in some kind of sugar syrup.

I just don't see the point of giving out nasty food that most people seem to leave uneaten. I know this has been said many times before, but if you are going to include free food, then at least make it edible or even better, appetising. Surely they could spend the same budget on a simple sandwich, packet of crisps and an apple, rather than trying to be clever.

Luckily we were op-upped on the return, and enjoyed a very tasty chicken penne dish (albeit containing dreaded mushrooms.) It was only 3 rows further forward than on the outbound flight, but the catering, crew and service were all excellent and it felt worlds apart from the flight behind the curtain. But still defnitely not worth the extra £350pp it would have cost me to sit there. Lets have more of these Genoa type I Class fares please!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:55 am
Original Poster

then at least make it edible
Funny that. I just got a reply from BA about my most recent complaint about the deli-box and they said that all their food should be edible...
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by BAW845_Matt
Funny that. I just got a reply from BA about my most recent complaint about the deli-box and they said that all their food should be edible...
I think that the boxes probably taste better than the food!!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:42 am

I think that the boxes probably taste better than the food!!
The funny thing is, our managers all think you really love the all day deli box!!! According to our surveys 97.3% of you thought it a big improvement on the sick bag (sorry, All Day Deli Bag!!!)!!!

.........but then, as my son says, 99.8% of statistics are probably made up!!!
Old Jan 9, 2005, 8:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by bealine
The funny thing is, our managers all think you really love the all day deli box!!! According to our surveys 97.3% of you thought it a big improvement on the sick bag (sorry, All Day Deli Bag!!!)!!!

.........but then, as my son says, 99.8% of statistics are probably made up!!!
Astonishing!

But I have had chats with some CSDs who say that they have had good feedback.........weird.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

On a recent domestic flight to London, BA had provision for 60 meals; we had a load of 120 resulting from the aircraft on the earlier flight going tech - its passengers and crew were transferred over to my flight. As I was amongst the first to be served I passed on the meal thinking others would appreciate it more. Turns out they had about a dozen left over. Whether this reflects the true popularity of the offering or just down the season of good will, I'll let you decide.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:26 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
On a very recent domestic flight from EDI, there was no food offered to anybody at all, just a drinks service. This was a flight over lunchtime; is this what BA call "Complimentary food and drink to suit the time of day?"
Old Jan 9, 2005, 9:39 am

At the very least, you should have been offered something. Sounds like a catering delay - not worth missing a slot for.

I think I have belly-ached enough about the deli-box on this forum for this year already and besides I've gotten used to finding lunch elsewhere between the airport and meeting venues.

Still find it strangely cathartic folding those cellophane wrappers into tidy little triangles.
Old Jan 9, 2005, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by bealine
An improvement perhaps, but it still doesn't mean it's any good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.