FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Special meals and the deli box
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2005, 7:45 am
ChickenOrBeef

Programs: BA Gold, IC Royal Ambassador, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Tesco Blue
First time with All Day Deli

I had my first experience with the Deli Box over the Xmas period on my trip to CPH.

On first glance, it looked better than I was expecting and there was a fair amount of food - hot pizza stick, lemon muffin, fruit salad, mini Kit-Kat and water. It's just that with the exception of the water and the Kit-Kat it was all revolting.

I was quite looking forward to trying the ham and cheese hot panini, but we had this pizza stick instead. Not sure if this is a new item, as I've not read about it on here before, but it was basically the bottom half of a soggy hot dog roll with tomato paste and melted cheese on top - even the crew were looking bemused as they handed it out.

The muffin was incredibly sticky and sickly, and the fruit salad tasted so sweet like it was in some kind of sugar syrup.

I just don't see the point of giving out nasty food that most people seem to leave uneaten. I know this has been said many times before, but if you are going to include free food, then at least make it edible or even better, appetising. Surely they could spend the same budget on a simple sandwich, packet of crisps and an apple, rather than trying to be clever.

Luckily we were op-upped on the return, and enjoyed a very tasty chicken penne dish (albeit containing dreaded mushrooms.) It was only 3 rows further forward than on the outbound flight, but the catering, crew and service were all excellent and it felt worlds apart from the flight behind the curtain. But still defnitely not worth the extra £350pp it would have cost me to sit there. Lets have more of these Genoa type I Class fares please!