Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Green Visa Waiver Slips - in for trouble???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Ok, not strictly BA, but I know what a lot of nice, knowledgeable, well-travelled people you are...

I have just been MMB with BA to add/update my passport information (which is required before travelling). Was flicking through my passport when I came across two green slips firmly stapled to one of the pages! Great, during our last trip to the US (July/August), the Virgin UC Check-in agent must have forgot to remove them... (I know, I know, should have travelled BA... ).

So, when my husband and I try to re-enter the US (Denver) on Saturday are we likely to be in for some pain (since they probably think that we have been in the US for the past 5.5 months)? Have had immigration problems before (caused by Immigration Officer stamping passports with a date 6 months in the future): that was painful every time we visited the US for about a year .

Are we better off speaking to someone at check-in (on Saturday in LHR) about this or trying to retain our green slips for when we are collared by the Immigration Officials at Denver?

I know, we should always check that the slips are taken...

Boo
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:05 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
BooBoo:

YOU have to return these to the US.

Details are at:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i94.htm

Be sure to take copies of EVERYTHING and be sure to take them with you on any visits until they acknowledge this is cleared up.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LHR Tim
BooBoo:

YOU have to return these to the US.

Details are at:

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web/ins/i94.htm

Be sure to take copies of EVERYTHING and be sure to take them with you on any visits until they acknowledge this is cleared up.
Thanks LHRTim - was definitely aware that these HAD to go back, just wasn't sure how: the link is very useful.

Unfortunately my next trip is THIS Saturday, so there is no time to return them BEFORE our trip. So, pressumably, trying to hold onto them and return them to the IRS staff in Denver is better than surrendering them at LHR (where they would be invisible to the IRS for a while)?

Am trying to find our boarding passes for that return flight now - unfortunately they are not in the "logical" place, but will keep looking...

Boo
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: British Airways, Cathay Pacific
Originally Posted by Boo Boo Too
Am trying to find our boarding passes for that return flight now - unfortunately they are not in the "logical" place, but will keep looking...

Boo
Yes, I recommend you take these, along with any kind of proof that you've been out of the US for the last 5 months e.g. Credit Card Statements, etc. Do you have any stamps in your passport since you last entered the US? These will all help as it will be clear you did not overstay your welcome on your last visit to the US.

It might be an idea to give the US Embassy in London a call, they will be able to help.

FlyermanES
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold
I this really a big issue? You have me worried now...

I have two green slips I haven't had removed from my passport and assumed it was ok not to return them on a following trip - this has happened over the space of 12 months.

I've been to the US frequently last year and never been challenged - would you suggest I do something here as I've since binned the two green slips.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Another thing that might be worth taking - especially if you can't find the boarding passes - is a print out of the relevant frequent flier statement, showing that you boarded the return flight.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks flyermanES

Originally Posted by flyermanES
Yes, I recommend you take these, along with any kind of proof that you've been out of the US for the last 5 months e.g. Credit Card Statements, etc. Do you have any stamps in your passport since you last entered the US? These will all help as it will be clear you did not overstay your welcome on your last visit to the US.
Have just found the boarding passes and ticket receipt - boy am I glad that I don't throw things like this away... (even if my husband does think I am wierd...)

Will look out bank statements for the past 5 months.

Will take (and keep) copies of everything - since, in my previous experience of the IRS, if we have already been "flagged" this may take some time to clear up

Originally Posted by flyermanES
It might be an idea to give the US Embassy in London a call, they will be able to help.
There doesn't seem to be a contact phone number regarding this sort of thing for the US Embassy in London - they say that it isn't worth contacting them since this is dealt with in the US...

Boo

Last edited by Boo Boo; Jan 6, 2005 at 9:44 am
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:49 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
People have been refused admission and immediately deported for one-day overstays.
There is usually associated hand-cuffing and detention.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 9:59 am

A couple of years ago noticed i also still had my green slip. Upon entering immigration just gave it to the officer and told him that it had been left in from a previous trip. There was no hassle, although i think less than 90 days had passed between trips.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:03 am

Programs: BA Prem, LH Blue, Thai Gold ,KLM Ivory, Priority Club Plat, HiltonH Gold, Marriott gold
Ok, not strictly BA, but I know what a lot of nice, knowledgeable, well-travelled people you are...

I have just been MMB with BA to add/update my passport information (which is required before travelling). Was flicking through my passport when I came across two green slips firmly stapled to one of the pages! Great, during our last trip to the US (July/August), the Virgin UC Check-in agent must have forgot to remove them... (I know, I know, should have travelled BA... ).

So, when my husband and I try to re-enter the US (Denver) on Saturday are we likely to be in for some pain (since they probably think that we have been in the US for the past 5.5 months)? Have had immigration problems before (caused by Immigration Officer stamping passports with a date 6 months in the future): that was painful every time we visited the US for about a year .

Are we better off speaking to someone at check-in (on Saturday in LHR) about this or trying to retain our green slips for when we are collared by the Immigration Officials at Denver?

I know, we should always check that the slips are taken...

Boo
What does MMB stand for?
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:07 am

By the way, it's the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) that's in charge of the deportations. The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) will go after you only if you owe a pile of taxes.
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:09 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Will take (and keep) copies of everything - since, in my previous experience of the IRS, if we have already been "flagged" this may take some time to clear up

Boo
Boo Boo,

have you been fiddling your taxes too ???

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Jan 6, 2005 at 10:11 am Reason: damn - too long fiddling around with the UBB coding ...
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
People have been refused admission and immediately deported for one-day overstays.
There is usually associated hand-cuffing and detention.
Unfortunately our last entry into the Uk was over 90 days ago - otherwise we might have been ok...

Yes, that is what I am worried about - well, probably unlikely to refused admission, BUT anything is possible. US Immigration are VERY strict and VERY by the book and they wont let you "explain" a situation (they will go away and puzzle over your passport for 30 minutes or an hour before they will speak to you...). I foresee at least a trip and 30 minutes or so in Secondary Immigration - possibly worse

Oh, and god help you if you catch them within 30 minutes of a shift change - took us about two hours to get through Secondary Immigration one Boxing Day (the only other "guests" were a very large non-English speaking family from the Middle East - they got rhough in less than 30 minutes...).

AAAaaarrrggghhhh, oh well, at least we have a 5 hour connection in Denver... was wondering what to do for that time, now I know...

Boo
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StewieMac
Boo Boo,

have you been fiddling your taxes too ???
Oh my, thank you StewieMac and jjpb3 - you can just see how flustered I am, can't you?

MMB is "Manage My Booking" (which allows you to update booking information, seating preference etc. on BA.com)

Boo
(in full - even worse than normal - "holiday panic mode"... )
Old Jan 6, 2005, 10:45 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
Originally Posted by jjpb3
By the way, it's the INS (Immigration and Naturalization Service) that's in charge of the deportations. The IRS (Internal Revenue Service) will go after you only if you owe a pile of taxes.
Yeah, but they're just as nasty if not worse. Didn't they seize some kid's piggy bank a few years ago because his grand dad owed them back taxes?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.