Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

If you check-in online you CANNOT use Self-Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver

Having just returned from a rather indulgent weekend in Newcastle ( ), I learnt a rather interesting fact on my outward journey.

Apparently, if you check-in online for your flight, you CANNOT collect your boarding card from a self-service machine as there will be a 'problem with your ticket'.

A rather friendly guy at a FIRST check-in desk at LGW highlighted this fact. Apparently it is linked with the print your own boarding card option even if you (obviously) choose to collect it at the airport rather than print your own. Furthermore it is a 'recent' enhancement.

Therefore, if you want to secure a seat online, prepared to go to a check-in desk to collect it.

[ For once recently, I'm glad I'm a Gold member as for the last couple of Manchester, Edinburgh and now Newcastle flights from LGW, the best I have been able to reserve has been around row 5 or 6, yet I always end up in either row 1 or 2 when I check-in online or at the airport ^ ]
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

In September I OLCI'd at T-24 for NCW LHR-PHX and got 62K and at LHR used the self service machines and it worked no problem.

Of course this could be an new problem, as mentioned.

Oh to the joy's of technology sometimes

Regards

TBS
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by flyclub
Having just returned from a rather indulgent weekend in Newcastle ( ), I learnt a rather interesting fact on my outward journey.

Apparently, if you check-in online for your flight, you CANNOT collect your boarding card from a self-service machine as there will be a 'problem with your ticket'.

A rather friendly guy at a FIRST check-in desk at LGW highlighted this fact. Apparently it is linked with the print your own boarding card option even if you (obviously) choose to collect it at the airport rather than print your own. Furthermore it is a 'recent' enhancement.

Therefore, if you want to secure a seat online, prepared to go to a check-in desk to collect it.

[ For once recently, I'm glad I'm a Gold member as for the last couple of Manchester, Edinburgh and now Newcastle flights from LGW, the best I have been able to reserve has been around row 5 or 6, yet I always end up in either row 1 or 2 when I check-in online or at the airport ^ ]
not true

Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:42 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
I definitely used the check-in kiosks at LGW a few weeks ago after online check-in LGW-AMS.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Just to stress, the OP was stating that the conflict wasn't between the use of OLCI and the kiosk, but if you do OLCI at a station where they offer the print your own boarding pass (BYOBP???) but you elect not to (perhaps because you haven't got a printer?)
Old Nov 22, 2004, 1:57 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

OLCI and kiosk BP collection still working at EDI
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Having just returned from a rather indulgent weekend in Newcastle ( )
Ooooo.....where did you go? Stereo? Tokyo? Apartment? Shindig? Dinner at Treacle Moon or the 'Lodge perhaps?

If you say you went to the Boat you deserve a lynching.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just to stress, the OP was stating that the conflict wasn't between the use of OLCI and the kiosk, but if you do OLCI at a station where they offer the print your own boarding pass (BYOBP???) but you elect not to (perhaps because you haven't got a printer?)
I didn't know you can do PYOBP at LGW - didn't the OP say that's where he is!?
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:28 pm

I collected two BPs from the self service machine today having done OLCI - no problems with my ticket. One was from a print your own boarding pass location.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, LH, FB, Eurostar, SIXT Platinum, SLH, Sofitel Gold, Marriott Silver, Club Lee Gold
I have only once experienced this problem - I did OLCI (at -23:59:59...) for HAM-LHR and chose PYOBP, but the printer failed to respond.

Arriving at the airport, I went to the Quick Check-In machine but it would not print a BP and referred me to the desk - it will not print a second BP if the system shows that you printed one at home.

Otherwise I have done OLCI and collected BPs from the machines with no problems at all.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:51 pm

Going to GVA early this month I OLCI-d for the return leg and printed by boarding pass. As a test I tried to get one from a machine but couldn't.
However in situations where I haven't printed anything (i.e. not clicked on the button) I've not had a problem.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by economyman
I didn't know you can do PYOBP at LGW - didn't the OP say that's where he is!?
Oh, that's right....

Hmmm......

and BahrainLad waht's wromg with the boat? You and me, ootside noo in the car park.....
Old Nov 22, 2004, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by GregM
OLCI and kiosk BP collection still working at EDI
I OLCI'd for my flight from EDI-LHR today and the machine rejected my card - I went to the desk and they said "It's because you checked in online!"
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:50 pm

I can confirm that there is a glitch in the system at the moment whereby many OLCI people cannot obtain their Boarding Passes from the self-service kiosks. The infuriating thing is that the kiosks are inhibited at random, without any obvious reasons!

However, if you are "rejected", please go straight to the "Fast Bag Drop" desks (who the heck called them that?!?) and we will gladly do the honours!!!
Old Nov 22, 2004, 3:50 pm
MIM

Had a weird one last week...

Flying from Manchester to Heathrow on Wednesday, back up on Thursday.

I checked in online on Tuesday, and used the Self Service machine to get my boarding card on Wednesday morning.

When I put in my card, I was given the option of checking-in for my return flight, which I took and got myself a front row seat - and printed out both boarding cards.

I thought this was a bit strange, as you can normally only check in for the return flight if you are day-tripping.

When I got to the gate for my return flight on Thursday, there was someone already boarded in 'my' seat - in fact, his name was on my receipt for my checked bag - and I had to go all the way back to row 23.

As it turned out, I snuck over to nab myself a full set of three seats to myself, so all was not lost.

Strange though...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.