Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Quickest and cheapest way to acheive Gold???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quickest and cheapest way to acheive Gold???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; AF/KLM FB Silver; M&M LH FTL; LY GLD; HH Diamond; SPG Gold; A-Club Silver; Avis PCI
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
I can understand doing perhaps one mileage run to get attain/retain status but otherwise its near to pointless
Just my thoughts. What's the point of Gold for the sake of Gold!
Old Nov 16, 2004, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA Silver / Bonyoy Platinum
It is a status thing isn't it. If he has it I want it too!

I guess it also depends what your travel plans are. I travel a lot but in WT+ if I am paying for it, with the odd Club trip, so Gold is great to get F lounge access, MB Spa access. Possibly improves op-up chances and gives 50% bonus which is great!

Also, in my case, I was pretty close to getting gold so one "for the hell of it" trip will get me Gold.

It does also mean if my travel decreases I will at least get lounge access for two years because you go from Gold-Silver then Silver-Blue if you don;t re-qualify.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 6:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mark_jones13
Excuse my ignorance but what is a YOH fare on AA?
YUP fares are Y fares on American Airlines that get automatic upgrades/book into A class (which gets First Class tier points).
Old Nov 17, 2004, 1:29 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
YUP fares are Y fares on American Airlines that get automatic upgrades/book into A class (which gets First Class tier points).
For example, i've seen JFK-HNL YUP fares for around 780 before; intelligent routing (eg. via SJC) can yield four A-class sectors of >2000 miles = 720 tier points. Obviously, you still need your 4 BA sectors to qualify, but if you combine this with a cheapy off-season WT+ fare to do the Transatlantic hop you're looking at 870 points for about 1400 (and a trip to Hawai'i!)
Old Nov 17, 2004, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by BA97.com
For example, i've seen JFK-HNL YUP fares for around 780 before; intelligent routing (eg. via SJC) can yield four A-class sectors of >2000 miles = 720 tier points. Obviously, you still need your 4 BA sectors to qualify, but if you combine this with a cheapy off-season WT+ fare to do the Transatlantic hop you're looking at 870 points for about 1400 (and a trip to Hawai'i!)
You can with an even better routing (which I've mentioned a couple of times before) get it up to around 960 tp's. Combined with an ex-LIS in F, you're a little over the 1400tp mark for around 2100.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by mark_jones13
how would BAH to DOH in F rtn and BAH to DOH in J rtn get you 600 tier points. The flight is less than an hour long. How many points would you get exactly?

Check the tiers pint section of the 'Ultimate BA Guide' thread.... this will answer your question.
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:09 am

Programs: QF LT Gold, AA LT Plat and SQ bottom feeder..
Why Gold?

The only reason is that I find is that it really helps when waitlisted.
OWE doesn't cut it, and I keep hoping for that mythical op upgrade as a Gold...
Otherwise the OWE status works pretty well.

And thanks for bringing it up again. I was going to be a bit short , but now with my new EU address I will make it!
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:19 am

Programs: Elite Diamond Purple Dot Gold Silver Titanium for life
ba gold here we come
Old Nov 19, 2004, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chevalier de la Gallentrie - Knight of the Platinum Hair Brush, BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aerotec
It is a status thing isn't it. If he has it I want it too!
That's exactly it - I admit it - I'm a sad and lonely person with no life and no friends who has to justify his existence by the number and colour of his plastic cards!!! Actually, Im none of those, but I have to admit to being a gadget/gizmo/status junkie, so apart from the cool extras of gold (using the F lounge when flying down the back for example) the main reason Id like a gold card is so I have a gold card (same reason Id love a Centurion card, although thats NEVER going to happen).

Judge me if you must, for I am a mere mortal and have the sin of Envy. Still, mustn't grumble .
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by efincomputer
I have to admit to being a gadget/gizmo/status junkie, so apart from the cool extras of gold (using the F lounge when flying down the back for example) the main reason Id like a gold card is so I have a gold card
Pretty much sums me up as well, and I'm sure, several others on this board as well
Old Nov 19, 2004, 10:27 am

Programs: BA, UA
Actually, Im none of those, but I have to admit to being a gadget/gizmo/status junkie, so apart from the cool extras of gold (using the F lounge when flying down the back for example) the main reason Id like a gold card is so I have a gold card
Have you ever tried going without your PDA for a while? I never ever ever thought I'd be able to cope. How would I remember all those flight numbers and times? How would I know where to send postcards when I was off on hols? How would I be able to work out which flights I could catch back home from the latest meeting that overran?

Then the blinkin' thing stopped synchronising with my laptop. Distress. Oh my God! What do I do?

As it turned out, I did nothing. And I have been PDA-less for nigh on a year. No ill effects. Amazing.

As for a Gold card..... Mmmmm..... something I can only dream about reaching. Although..... shove in a few of those LHR-BCN-SVQ-BCN-LHR runs, add the odd BA sector, or four.....
Old Nov 23, 2004, 3:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Talking Is it this easy

Look I'm a cyncial one me but is this right then... if I do

Bah - Doh - Bah in F $532.24 - Tier Points 360
Bah - Doh - Bah in F $532.24 - Tier Points 360

In will get 720 Tier points that will reset after 600 but will award me Silver Status and also if I write in can claim the 120 suplus TP's to go towards gold?

Does this flight have to be booked thru BA or is Expedia OK?
Has anyone not been credited the LH TP's or is this something that def happens?

Please put a cynical mans mind at rest.
Thanks!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 4:51 pm

Nevermind
Old Nov 23, 2004, 5:07 pm

To be honest, Silver would be fine for what I need - just find lounge access useful if flying on a cheap fare
Why don't you just join the QANTAS club. It's cheap (or at least was cheap 3 years ago) and lets you use QF, BA, AA, and US lounges when flying those airlines.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 1:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by johnep1
Why don't you just join the QANTAS club. It's cheap (or at least was cheap 3 years ago) and lets you use QF, BA, AA, and US lounges when flying those airlines.
It is indeed cheap - about 100 per year, although there is an additional joining fee of about 150 for the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.