Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Royal send off for Concorde?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2003, 1:40 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mAAine_flyer:
Who cares. Let them schlepp it on Ryanair for a change.</font>
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Merry:
As HM The Queen is Supreme Governor of the Church of England, I find that remark extremely offensive, not only to my monarch and head of state, but to my faith.

Perhaps you could schlepp over to another forum where your blasphemy will cause less offence.

</font>
What is so offensive about the British aristocracy being "carried" by the Irish? It happened for years.....

-- Dambus

Old Sep 30, 2003, 2:45 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, a tired old bird, part of a phenomenon due for permanent retirement...

...and Concorde.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 3:47 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Hey Dambus - stand well back from your PC !!!!!
Old Sep 30, 2003, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Who is this "we"? Unless you are an ex-pat living in Maine I don't see how the Monarchy could possibly affect you.</font>
Indeed...isn't the Monarchy around just to make sure that American tourists keep coming to the UK?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:14 pm

Programs: Various
Hold on our 'Queen' is German with a Greek husband......

Thanks,
Richard
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichardMannion:
Hold on our 'Queen' is German with a Greek husband......
</font>
Is he really Greek? Or as much so as George I was a Briton?
Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:52 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
With the final Concorde flight approaching, I was wondering if there might be any surprise royal flyers, i.e. royals who haven't flown Concorde yet such as Princes William/Harry (?). Do you think the Queen or Prince Charles will fly one last time, or is BA going to organize a more private flight for them?</font>
Can't we just let William and Harry shag sheep permanently in the outback? [Why stop them when they've finally found something they're good at?]; we can save on the return air fare. After all: the convicts did vote for them.

Regards,
Alex [Ducking]

Old Sep 30, 2003, 6:54 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
Does anyone know the answer to my original question??</font>
If you'll pardon the intrusion from a d@mn colonial, Prince Harry certainly won't be able to join in the celebrations. He is spending 3 months on a property in the somewhat appropriately named Australian state of Queensland.

Old Sep 30, 2003, 7:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 5:18 pm
Old Sep 30, 2003, 8:52 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
So did he fly F on BA?</font>
Yes, he did. There were some online news articles that quoted a F pax talking about his LHR-SYD flight with Prince Harry in F. Harry was apparently a very nice guy who stayed up the whole flight just reading, eating and watching movies, as well as chatting with FAs during the flight.
Old Sep 30, 2003, 9:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 5:18 pm
Old Sep 30, 2003, 11:08 pm

Programs: SPG Pref+, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat, BA Blue, AA Riff-Raff, UA Unwashed, Travel Anonymous Platinum
The newsarticle didn't mentioned that, but I'd be very surprised if they didn't have security folks onboard. Senior members of the royal family always have a few bodyguards.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Having participated in a swimming gala against Prince William....

(...dead giveaway as to my age here...)

....I can say that the "entourage" is very unobtrusive, to the extent that someone had to point out the slightly heavy-set gentleman wearing chinos and a polo shirt who was probably packing more than a pair of goggles...

I would seriously doubt they took over the whole of F..probably just Harry and two (not MI5/6, actually "Special Branch" look after the Royals) officers. I'd imagine they'd want to be as low key as possible.

After all, even if he wasn't a Royal, he'd be a very rich young man. Why shouldn't he fly First on such a long sector?

Hope he enjoys Oz.
Old Oct 1, 2003, 1:59 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Just to expand on the MI5/6 thing (totally off topic, but we are here afterall).

MI5
Official Name: Security Service
Headquarters: Thames House, London.
Address. P.O. Box 500, London.
Handles: Internal security in the United Kingdom (IRA etc.).
(Did you know MI5's training centre is located above a Mayfair cosmetics shop!?)

MI6
Offical Name: Special Intelligence Service
Headquarters: Vauxhall Cross, London
Handles: External security regarding the UK's interests abroad.

Special Branch
Handles: Royal, government security. Also handle very serious crimes, located on the top floor of New Scotland Yard.

Diplomatic Protection Squad
Handle security for foreign diplomats. These will be the people liasing with the US Secret Service during Bush's state visit in November.

There's a very interesting article on all the UK Secret Services in a recent issue of Time Out London (Sep 24 - Oct 1).
Old Oct 1, 2003, 6:23 am

Back to the original topic of a Concorde send-off, was told the other day that the final landing at JFK will take place with 3+ Concordes landing one immediately after the other. What a great sight that will be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.