Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avis & BA Miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2003, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Avis & BA Miles

I've become exasperated with Avis and its lottery of whether or not BA miles are awarded and a price quote is honoured. For the third time this year I've been denied miles - in some cases 1,500 or 2,000 due to the 2/4/6 rental bonus they operate - and have found out long after the rental when the miles fail to post. Avis claim that this is because the locations - often far-flung and tropical - are "manual", as if this makes it OK. Apparently, non-electronic (whatever that means) offices do not award miles and are not obliged to honour upgrades or even a price quote! This really makes a nonsense of renting from a global brand, for which uniform service levels are the major benefit. Especially when these are intended to take advantage of bonus miles, etc.

Locations this happened to me were in the Caribbean and Indian Ocean.

Anyone else had this trouble with Avis? You'd think they would be concerned to keep very regular renters' business but I have just reached an impasse with them.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
I usually get the 500 miles but have not yet had the extra bonus. My claim is currently under investigation ...

I book online in the UK at fixed rates and have NEVER EVER had a bill for the correct amount. Usually 25% - 100% over the correct figure and always from 'automated' European city locations so this is not the excuse.

As I am a Founder Shareholder, Avis are always very helpful and never quibble about putting things right over the phone, but it is irritating to have to call each time.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 7:25 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
This happened to me twice; both in Corsica; both failing to credit the 2000 Mile Gold Bonus coupon. Both times the normal miles have appeared pretty quickly. First time, the 2000 bonus appeared after I'd waited; claimed online (nothing happened) and then followed-up by post with copies of the agreement etc. Second time, I waited; claimed online (nothing happened)then I called and 2000 "ex gratia partner tracking" miles appeared quickly (which makes me think it's a known problem).

Subsequently (almost 3 months on) the second 2000 bonus also registered!, this time as "normal" AVIS miles. So, persistance gets you your miles (maybe even twice!) but it takes persistance.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Fraisse: Yep, did this myself and eventually got the miles, but very ungraciously. Throughout I was made to feel like it was a big favour, irregular practice, I was uptight even pursuing it, etc. Makes my blood boil that in many companies this sort of attitude now appears to prevail - "Oh, we didn't do as obliged, but aren't you sad to waste time pursuing it?"

Took ages to chase the first two and now Avis UK have deftly deflected the latest claim to the rental location. UK absolves itself of responsibility and invites me to chase MRU for an overcharge and 1,500 missing miles. Shocking.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fraisse10:
This happened to me twice; both in Corsica; both failing to credit the 2000 Mile Gold Bonus coupon. Both times the normal miles have appeared pretty quickly. First time, the 2000 bonus appeared after I'd waited; claimed online (nothing happened) and then followed-up by post with copies of the agreement etc. Second time, I waited; claimed online (nothing happened)then I called and 2000 "ex gratia partner tracking" miles appeared quickly (which makes me think it's a known problem).

Subsequently (almost 3 months on) the second 2000 bonus also registered!, this time as "normal" AVIS miles. So, persistance gets you your miles (maybe even twice!) but it takes persistance.
</font>

Fraisse, did you sort missing miles out through BA or Avis ?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 1:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Frequentflyer99:

Fraisse, did you sort missing miles out through BA or Avis ?
</font>
BA, both times. They invite you to do so through "missing miles" and I take that as my cue.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 9:06 am
Original Poster

BA apparently cannot credit any bonus or voucher miles, just the basic rental. Avis often refer the renter to BA anyway, leaving one in that annoying piggy-in-the-middle game.

So, if basic miles missing, BA; if any bonus involved, has to be persistence with Avis.
Old Sep 20, 2003, 10:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
So, if basic miles missing, BA; if any bonus involved, has to be persistence with Avis.[/B]</font>
can only say chasing BA worked for me.

Old Sep 22, 2003, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
FWIW, I'm still waiting for a 1,000 BA mile bonus from April. Several reminders faxed to EC have brought zilch response (not even a No).

On the other hand, my 1,000 Virgin miles per rental post within days.

For those who collect both VS and BA miles, the Virgin 1,000 miles regular award is a no brainer compared with the BA 500 miles regular plus now-and-again-I-might-get-a-bonus.

Just look:
1 rental = 1,000 VS or 500 BA
2 rentals = 2,000 VS or 1,500 BA
3 rentals = 3,000 VS or 2,000 BA
4 rentals = 4,000 VS or 3,500 BA
5 rentals = 5,000 VS or 4,000 BA
6 rentals = 6,000 VS or 6,000 BA

so it is only at the 6 rentals level (and 12? 18?) that the BA offer can match VS, assuming that the bonuses are awarded.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Sorry to bump this really old thread but seemed the most non-specific of the Avis threads a search came up with.....

Anyone know how long I should expect to wait for the miles to post? I remember asking about a quick way to get miles a long time ago and was told they should post quickly...FWIW I booked through the avisba.com site.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by fbgdavidson
Sorry to bump this really old thread but seemed the most non-specific of the Avis threads a search came up with.....

Anyone know how long I should expect to wait for the miles to post? I remember asking about a quick way to get miles a long time ago and was told they should post quickly...FWIW I booked through the avisba.com site.
IME they either post within 4-5 days or not at all.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just checked my account, 750miles posted from a rental the weekend before last (15.07). I have to admit I've had very little problem with AVIS posting the correct BA miles this year.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
ok, cheers ^ Looks like I need to email Avis.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
I've never had a problem with base miles, but otoh I don't think I've ever had a bonus post properly. I've also been given the line about upgrades only applying at "automated" locations

Nor have I ever had a final bill for the expected amount but, agreeably enough, it always seems to be for less than I was quoted on avisba.com!
Old Jul 26, 2005, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Junior Jet Club
Had completely incorrect miles (i.e. none) and a massive bill (double quoted) from Avis in Geneva. Customer service in the UK were helpful but slow, and I was never given the miles that were supposedly on offer!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.