Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Introduction of "new" sleeper service on some flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introduction of "new" sleeper service on some flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
You've probably never pre-dined in the JFK First lounge I presume?</font>
No, just read some Trip Reports about it. They basically wrote "same food as in the air, but nicer prepared in a restaurant-style way".

Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hammer:
No, just read some Trip Reports about it. They basically wrote "same food as in the air, but nicer prepared in a restaurant-style way".

</font>
Riiiiiight....
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:29 pm
dnw

Scott- is there something you've not posted that mentions there will be requested sleeper/non-sleeper cabins on the same flight? everything in the text seems to indicate its cabin wide on the said flights and I can't see how anything other would be possible on the 777s for example...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dnw:
Scott- is there something you've not posted that mentions there will be requested sleeper/non-sleeper cabins on the same flight? everything in the text seems to indicate its cabin wide on the said flights and I can't see how anything other would be possible on the 777s for example...</font>
Sadly I have to agree with you, the initial email I got made it sound like it's an optional feature but indeed, it seems like it's cabin wide, totally pathetic idea of course and for many probably a good reason to switch to VS. Although it is of course just a trial so I hope eveyrone on those flights lets the staff know that it sucks
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:41 pm
dnw

Yeah... £4,500 for a mug of coffee and a chocolate biscuit and then a trip to the galley to get some cold pizza is definitley NOT the BA we know and love...

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 09-17-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:56 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Having been woken at 03:00 UK Time (A full two hours before landing), I'd welcome this. It's not exactly like CW food is any good to start with...

A well spent fiver will get you much better food, and let you eat it quickly on board, and so you can pass out all the quicker.

Anyone who flies BA J overnight for the catering, and not the flat seat/bed, should seriously consider another airline [Or a mental heath check].

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure this is that great for ex-US flights. As posted before, it feels a bit too much like an enhancement. If it was one cabin (say the upper deck or forward of door 2), then it's worth pursuing.

However, the intial post also mentions the Middle East. Given that most of the flights ex DXB, RUH, BAH etc all depart at some ungodly hour like 2/3am, I think this is a fantastic idea. All I want to do at that time is sleep - and then have a slap up breakfast on arrival - preferably in the arrivals lounge, but maybe onboard. The sleeper service fits that bill.

It might also work for the DEL, BOM flights too, though the length of those sectors is such that pax might want a bit more for the cash.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:42 pm

Hopefully people from BA read this board - must be a good resource for market research...

I guess that different people want different things from there flight: for many sleep is the most important thing, but some like to eat/work/watch movies all night...

BA could definitely improve their night time service:
- bigger pillows sound great - any chance of a VS style duvet (pleeeeeeease???) - no static and they are so snuggly
- a quieter cabin sounds great: how about getting rid of those trollies (like VS manage to) - they can also restrict passenger movement about the cabin.
- please dim the lights earlier - we don't need much light to eat/watch movies, we could use the personal lighting to work, but it would definitely promote sleep/sleepness if they were dimmed soon after take off.
- could there be an express (all on one tray) meal option? not everyone has time to eat a meal before they get on the plane, and don't want to be faced by just a snack (or even worse, hot chocolate and a cookie) when they get on board. Others like the long drawn out meal service.
- express breakfast sounds great: bacon roll, fresh fruit plate, pastries, smoothie/juice and tea/coffee all on a tray an hour before landing would be spot on!
- Arrivals lounge is great.]
- Look forward to an expanded Molton Brown ammenity kit: love Molton Brown, but current kit is a bit sparse (especially for the ladies...).
- can you please consider your night service on most US-UK routes (including DEN and MIA) - not just the East Coast. Would nice to see some pre-flight dining on these routes too...

Funny, but my - limited - experience of night flights to the Far East/OZ on BA has been better than their night flights from the US to the UK....

Boo
Old Sep 17, 2003, 4:54 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Greg66:
I'm also curious about the Arrivals Lounge. Who uses one *out of choice*? I never have, because when I arrive, I'm never connecting, and so the next step of the journey involves leaving the airport ASAP. I can see the Arrivals lounge serves transit pax and those with time to kill before a meeting, but who else uses the Arrivals lounge? And so, who's going to go there for breakfast?</font>
I know this topic is mainly about UK-US flights, but for many of us from the Antipodes, the T4 arrivals lounge is a godsend. After 20 hours on an aircraft, a "power shower" followed by a hot breakfast is just the ticket to be ready for a day's work.

I fly for business and pleasure. I know if my flight was business related, the idea of "early lights off" appeals. If it's for private travel - then yes, I want the full experience (service, food, IFE etc) please!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:01 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by alexwuk:
Anyone who flies BA J overnight for the catering, and not the flat seat/bed, should seriously consider another airline [Or a mental heath check].</font>
I'm flying BA J for the flat bed AND the catering... and it is not my choice to take overnight flights back to Europe because there are no daylight flights from the US to Europe.

Old Sep 17, 2003, 5:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Riiiiiight.... </font>
So, how is it?

I will test the predining in April next year when I'm returning from BOS... what can I expect?

Old Sep 17, 2003, 6:44 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hammer:
I'm flying BA J for the flat bed AND the catering... and it is not my choice to take overnight flights back to Europe because there are no daylight flights from the US to Europe.

</font>
There certainly are dayflights from the US to Europe (I've probably taken the majority of them by now).

To LHR alone there's:

BA: JFK / IAD / BOS
UA: IAD (ORD & JFK - RIP)
AA: JFK / BOS / ORD
VS: EWR

Regards,
Alex
Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:10 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boo Boo Too:
I guess that different people want different things from there flight: for many sleep is the most important thing, but some like to eat/work/watch movies all night...

BA could definitely improve their night time service:
- bigger pillows sound great - any chance of a VS style duvet (pleeeeeeease???) - no static and they are so snuggly
- a quieter cabin sounds great: how about getting rid of those trollies (like VS manage to) - they can also restrict passenger movement about the cabin.
- please dim the lights earlier - we don't need much light to eat/watch movies, we could use the personal lighting to work, but it would definitely promote sleep/sleepness if they were dimmed soon after take off.
- could there be an express (all on one tray) meal option? not everyone has time to eat a meal before they get on the plane, and don't want to be faced by just a snack (or even worse, hot chocolate and a cookie) when they get on board. Others like the long drawn out meal service.
- express breakfast sounds great: bacon roll, fresh fruit plate, pastries, smoothie/juice and tea/coffee all on a tray an hour before landing would be spot on!
- Arrivals lounge is great.]
- Look forward to an expanded Molton Brown ammenity kit: love Molton Brown, but current kit is a bit sparse (especially for the ladies...).
- can you please consider your night service on most US-UK routes (including DEN and MIA) - not just the East Coast. Would nice to see some pre-flight dining on these routes too...

Funny, but my - limited - experience of night flights to the Far East/OZ on BA has been better than their night flights from the US to the UK....

Boo
</font>
BA already offers exactly those services (but in F). And the non-trans Atlantic longhaul service on BA is quite a bit better (at first I thought it was an aberration, but it happens too often to be accidental). I suspect BA calibrates its service based on the competition on each route.

Old Sep 17, 2003, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL
I think this is a fine idea, since it basically replicates what I do on US-to-LHR red-eyes anyway: eat in the lounge, recline the seat the minute the flight attendants get up from the jumpseats, put my eyeshades and earplugs in, and try to sleep every possible minute until they make me put my seat back up again. The elimination of noise and light would make it nicer. This is the next best thing to making the Atlantic Ocean a few thousand miles wider, which would be a bonus, in my opinion.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I'm also curious about the Arrivals Lounge. Who uses one *out of choice*? I never have, because when I arrive, I'm never connecting, and so the next step of the journey involves leaving the airport ASAP. I can see the Arrivals lounge serves transit pax and those with time to kill before a meeting, but who else uses the Arrivals lounge? And so, who's going to go there for breakfast?
</font>
I always use it, connection or no connection. If you're not going to your own house from LHR, then a nice shower, clean and pressed clothes, and a hot breakfast are the only way to start a trip. The alternative is to be grimy and tired all day until you can check into your hotel, since it's very rare that the hotel will have a room ready at 8 AM. The Arrivals Lounge is an excellent alternative.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 8:18 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
To prevent people being woken up by FAs when they don't want to be, why don't they just give pax a sticker or similar that you could put on top of your seat to indicate you want to sleep?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.