Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Introduction of "new" sleeper service on some flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Introduction of "new" sleeper service on some flights

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:06 am

... or by mailing oneself in a crate
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
Winter cleaning!

Last edited by CharlesMD; Jan 23, 2005 at 5:21 pm
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
This measure is obviously bogus. If you've been working all day and rush to the airport, of course you want to eat a substantial meal on-board-- that's one of the benefits of flying.

If BA truly wanted to make their cabins quieter they could try to accelerate the food service or have an "all at once" full meal service like AA (i.e. not just the goodnight express).

What's next: no IFE, cranking down the seats to fully flat after take-off. Are the FAs going to walk around making sure everyone's asleep-- no giggling under the covers.

It's ironic that the people in Y get a full meal service with wine but not the people in J. Maybe some of them will come begging for an appetizer.
</font>
If you want a substantial meal then why not use the pre-dine service? I know I do. I'd prefer a decent meal on the ground than the crap they serve in the air anyway.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I think this is great, but for the defect that you don't get anything like this in economy. It would be great if BA could have a quiet zone down the back as well. I don't think I've eaten an eastbound trans-Atlantic meal for many years now.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:14 am

In my experience, BA is one of the worst - across the Atlantic - at being quiet and dark on night-time flights (AA/VS/CO and even NW seem a LOT better at it - in ecomony as well as Business). They do need to speed up a bit and a "all on one tray full meal" option would be really great

Still, they have yet to beat a flight I had back from Montego Bay in July. I ate at the airport - wanting to maximise the sleep I got on the flight. So, as soon as we took off, I put my eye mask on, tucked a pillow under my head and pulled the blanket up around my neck - pretty much "do not disturb, I want to sleep". After about 30 minutes gentle sleeping, the meal service started. "Dinner?!", "Dinner?!", "Dinner?!" was yelled down the aisle as the trolley trumbled. I ignored it, then "do you want dinner!!?", "do you want dinner!!!?" was yelled at me. I ignored it - it will do away... So the FA grabbed hold of me by the shoulder and shock me violently yelling "do you want your dinner!!!" until I pulled my eye mask off and growled "no!". Fortunately I was fuming so much at the rude interruption, that I was still awake 30 minutes later when "duty free! duty free!! duty free!!!" came trundling down the aisle.... This was economy, but still!

So BA have aren't QUITE as bad as Air Jamaica...

Boo
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
If you want a substantial meal then why not use the pre-dine service? I know I do. I'd prefer a decent meal on the ground than the crap they serve in the air anyway. </font>
Or if you are a poor student like myself, get as much free stuff down your throat as possible. Even better if the crew can put the remainder in a doggy bad for the guys back at University
Old Sep 17, 2003, 11:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
If you want a substantial meal then why not use the pre-dine service? I know I do. I'd prefer a decent meal on the ground than the crap they serve in the air anyway. </font>
Isn't it the "crap" in the air the same "crap" you get in the lounge?

It surely comes from the same caterer...

Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If you want a substantial meal then why not use the pre-dine service? </font>
Time. Getting to the airport at the last minute is one of the benefits of flying in C/F.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hammer:
Isn't it the "crap" in the air the same "crap" you get in the lounge?

It surely comes from the same caterer...

</font>
You've probably never pre-dined in the JFK First lounge I presume?
Old Sep 17, 2003, 12:37 pm
dnw

Where does it say anything about zones? or have we just got confused after the VS comments...?

From the info quoted (and from the 'enhancement' point of view) it looks to be cabin wide...?

[This message has been edited by dnw (edited 09-17-2003).]
Old Sep 17, 2003, 1:34 pm

Programs: Mucci Diamond Hairbrush. And Nouveau Bronze
So, get on board, get given "a" drink and a biscuit, then lights out. Hmmm.

Fairly clear that the aim here is to move catering off the plane and onto the ground. No doubt that's a fair saving in cost, for food, wine, and FA - I can't see how BA could fail to follow this up with a cut in the number of FAs serving flights where this is in operation.

The idea of eating on the ground is not going to suit everyone by a long chalk. I, for example, like the later check afforded by J, and wouldn't want to check in late and then run to the lounge to wolf down a meal before lights out on the plane.

I'm also curious about the Arrivals Lounge. Who uses one *out of choice*? I never have, because when I arrive, I'm never connecting, and so the next step of the journey involves leaving the airport ASAP. I can see the Arrivals lounge serves transit pax and those with time to kill before a meeting, but who else uses the Arrivals lounge? And so, who's going to go there for breakfast?

Overall, I think I'd have preferred to hear that BA were going to make a concerted effort to serve dinner as quickly as possible after take off, and serve breakfast as late as possible. Oh well...
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Greg66:
I'm also curious about the Arrivals Lounge. Who uses one *out of choice*? I never have, because when I arrive, I'm never connecting, and so the next step of the journey involves leaving the airport ASAP. I can see the Arrivals lounge serves transit pax and those with time to kill before a meeting, but who else uses the Arrivals lounge? And so, who's going to go there for breakfast?</font>
I think the Arrivals Lounge is a great idea, usually when on eligible tickets to get in I am with family and so they would prefer just to go home

At Xmas I get to try it out for the first time as I have an overnight and it allows people at home to lie in before coming to get me
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Greg66:
So, get on board, get given "a" drink and a biscuit, then lights out. Hmmm.

Fairly clear that the aim here is to move catering off the plane and onto the ground. No doubt that's a fair saving in cost, for food, wine, and FA - I can't see how BA could fail to follow this up with a cut in the number of FAs serving flights where this is in operation.

The idea of eating on the ground is not going to suit everyone by a long chalk. I, for example, like the later check afforded by J, and wouldn't want to check in late and then run to the lounge to wolf down a meal before lights out on the plane.

I'm also curious about the Arrivals Lounge. Who uses one *out of choice*? I never have, because when I arrive, I'm never connecting, and so the next step of the journey involves leaving the airport ASAP. I can see the Arrivals lounge serves transit pax and those with time to kill before a meeting, but who else uses the Arrivals lounge? And so, who's going to go there for breakfast?

Overall, I think I'd have preferred to hear that BA were going to make a concerted effort to serve dinner as quickly as possible after take off, and serve breakfast as late as possible. Oh well...
</font>
I *LOVE* the arrivals lounge, I usually fly on to AMS and the lounge gives me the chance to have a decent breakfast and a shower. It's always quieter than the gold/first lounge as well.
Old Sep 17, 2003, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With regard to the sleeper service I believe it is good to have choice.

At Check-in or as part of online profile customers should request that for O/N flights they have Sleeper Service or not, in a similar way to Window Preference.

Then at check-in all the sleeper guys are all assigned seats in one part of the plane, on 747 Upper Deck for example so the other chennanigans in WT+ / First do not disturb.

Personally I'd rather have the evening meal, in the lounge and during the flight I have a weight problem, I don't have enough so two meals is great for me!
Old Sep 17, 2003, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
With regard to the sleeper service I believe it is good to have choice.

At Check-in or as part of online profile customers should request that for O/N flights they have Sleeper Service or not, in a similar way to Window Preference.

Then at check-in all the sleeper guys are all assigned seats in one part of the plane, on 747 Upper Deck for example so the other chennanigans in WT+ / First do not disturb.

Personally I'd rather have the evening meal, in the lounge and during the flight I have a weight problem, I don't have enough so two meals is great for me!
</font>
I don't think this will succeed and presume the trial will fail. What if I want a normal seat and all I can get is a sleeper seat? What if I want to work? What if I want to sleep and all I get is the "loud" cabin... I think BA should work on making the normal cabins quieter. Dim the lighting, make the trollies quieter etc...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.