Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Laptop keyboard bashers - and other irritants

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2003, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card

Quick day business trip to London today. Red eye on time (unusual), better than average breakfast (unusual), very little holding at LHR (very unusual), half an hour early (almost unheard of).

To ruin an otherwise flawless trip, the busy bee in 5F behind me got his laptop out as soon as the seatbelt signs went off, and proceeded to set up on his tray table.

Now this guy was not a soft typer. No considerate tiny clicks for the unGodly hour. No this boy really wanted to punish that keyboard. Bash. Bash. Bash. And none stop as well. It felt like I was being pummelled from behind with fists.

I asked him nicely if he could type more softly (please mate it is 6.30 in the bloody morning). He typed softly for about 30 seconds and then started bashing again.

So I reclined my seat all the way back (convertible ET-CE seat with full seven inches in the face). He still didn't stop bashing but the angle cancelled out the punching effect.

Then on the way back - fully loaded - and yes you've guessed it. People with luggage in the hold have gone for a wander and got swallowed up by the worm hole that must exist in LHR Terminal One - and we had to wait whilst they removed their bags from the hold (and yes the ripple effect from the worm hole ensured that their bags were at the back of the second cargo hold.

I'd love to know where the worm hole takes these people.

Wherever they went I'd like to sentence them to a week sitting in front of mister laptop basher whilst he was putting the finishing touches to his ten thousand page magnum opus.
Old Aug 15, 2003, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
I'd love to know where the worm hole takes these people</font>
The bar

Personally my pet hate is screming children, not just on flights but in general, but obviously the fact you are stuck in a confined space for hours compounds the effect. I often get a J ticket or F (if lucky) and in vain hope that I'll avoid the screaming rat children (yes, that is rat not brat) that seem to breed in Y. Though thankfully those in J seem to have been brought up to be quiet for lengthy periods of time.

and yes, one time I probably was one of those rat children
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
[B] The bar

[B]</font>
Then they deserve two weeks with Mister Keyboard Basher.

Logic says buy booze from the Duty Free shop near gate 5 and then quaff it in gate five......but I guess the worm hole tranports them to some working mens pub in Tring....where they get interested in the Karaoke.

And before they know it the potential of a flawless rendition of Summer Nights (without Simon Cowell telling them the truth) makes them forget that they are holding up another 150 hacked off people who only want to get back home so that they can quaff some booze in their own homes.

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 08-15-2003).]
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fbgdavidson:
The bar

Personally my pet hate is screming children, not just on flights but in general, but obviously the fact you are stuck in a confined space for hours compounds the effect. I often get a J ticket or F (if lucky) and in vain hope that I'll avoid the screaming rat children (yes, that is rat not brat) that seem to breed in Y. Though thankfully those in J seem to have been brought up to be quiet for lengthy periods of time.

and yes, one time I probably was one of those rat children
</font>
LOL Oh, the irony....
Old Aug 15, 2003, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
LOL Oh, the irony....</font>
I knew it was ironic.... or should I say moronic
Old Aug 16, 2003, 2:13 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
edi-traveller, you have my full sympathy! I once experienced a Keyboard Basher on a BD Fokker 100 (EDI-FRA), but put it down to the very flimsy seats on that a/c.

My worst "person behind" experience was on a GLA-LHR shuttle (757, I think) a few years back. He was a very large, very loud businessman, who was having an animated conversation with a colleague. The thing is, his tone of voice was strange, to say the least. EVery SENtence was PUNCtuATed by RANdomly disTRIButed STRESSes. And EVery STRESS was aCCOMpanied BY a HEFty THUMP on MY SEAT

Needless to say, one was not amused
Old Aug 16, 2003, 5:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I will tell you in no uncertain terms what we loathe. (Hi and I)

1) Fat people taking more than their fair share of room and worse wanting the armrest up.

2) Drunks

3) People who take their shoes and worse their bloody socks off and even worse than that putting their feet up on the bulkhead or the seat in front.

4) Drunks

5) People who feel that the overhead lockers are for their use and no one else's

6) Drunks

7) People who flash "status" show me your degree certificates, professional qualifications, your doctorates and I am impressed. Cards do not impress me unless they are paying my lunch in a very good restaurant.

8) Drunks

9) Loud people who think that what they have to say is of great to fascinations to every body.

10)Drunks

11) Off duty Captains and worse their bloody wives.

12) Drunks

13) Keyboard thumpers (yes I'm with you)

14) Drunks

15) Travel Agents

16) Drunks

17 ) Rugby supporters

I can deal with all the odd numbers I promise you. the others I loathe.

Babies, children - no sweat it's usually the parents I fins are ill mannered. I usually "steal" the babies and take them for a cuddle.

On a lighter note, the other night I had an adorable bundle of about 11 months. Our CW Purser took one look and said

"O Pucci you are far far too old tobe back in Maternity"

B&tch!

Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:

Drunk Fat people taking more than their fair share of room and wanting the armrest up who feel that the overhead lockers are for their use and no one else's who flash "status" show me your degree certificates, professional qualifications, your doctorates.
</font>
Well, there goes the majority of Flyertalkers
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:51 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
Drunk Fat people taking more than their fair share of room and wanting the armrest up who feel that the overhead lockers are for their use and no one else's who flash "status" show me your degree certificates, professional qualifications, your doctorates.</font>
That sounds just like me except for the doctorate have we met before? Also how does one lift an armrest up in first?

Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:00 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Steady-EDI:
EVery SENtence was PUNCtuATed by RANdomly disTRIButed STRESSes. And EVery STRESS was aCCOMpanied BY a HEFty THUMP on MY SEAT :mad </font>
I thought all soap-dodging Weegies spoke like that.

------------------
Gaza's oneworld & Star Alliance Round the World Information Pages - www.rtw-info.co.uk
Old Aug 18, 2003, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Deleted due to inability to cut quotes properly. Time for another coffee!!!

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:24 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum

17 ) Rugby supporters

</font>
Rugby supporters ?????? Surely a group of football hooligans would be much worse ?
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
Originally posted by Steady-EDI:
The thing is, his tone of voice was strange, to say the least. EVery SENtence was PUNCtuATed by RANdomly disTRIButed STRESSes. And EVery STRESS was aCCOMpanied BY a HEFty THUMP on MY SEAT

Needless to say, one was not amused
</font>
Sounds like you had Argent00 sitting behind you!

[This message has been edited by fraisse10 (edited 08-18-2003).]
Old Aug 18, 2003, 6:10 am

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
I thought all soap-dodging Weegies spoke like that.

</font>
Old Aug 19, 2003, 6:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozzie:
Rugby supporters ?????? Surely a group of football hooligans would be much worse ?</font>
Not when you are married to one Sweetheart. Rugby comes shaped big and they have attitude. Footballer supporters fly Virgin and BMI - with my blessing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.