Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$200.00 flat fee upgrade to WT+???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:01 pm
Original Poster

$200.00 flat fee upgrade to WT+???

During the first part of this year, I was able to get (if available) an upgrade from WT to WT+ for $200.00 at the check-in desk in BOS (Term E). It was a promotion, they said. But, the catch was it was only available for the segment BOS-HTR. My home airport is BOS. Has anyone else heard about this? Perhaps from other US airports? BA Exec. staff knows nothing about it. I am wondering if it is still available these days. Anyway, I suggest asking about it if flying out of BOS. And yes, I got 80 tier points for it consistently by faxing in the receipt to BA Exec. Maybe it is just a BOS airport deal.

Strangely enough, BA's AMS check-in knew about it when I asked, and were about to sell it to me for AMS-LHT-BOS flight, but WT+ was all sold out.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BA has an official (Ex. US only) Per-segment promo for upgrades to WT+:

This promo MIGHT be available from other countries but it's only officially offered to US based/booked pax.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
The $180 per segment World Traveller Plus fare differential is based on round-trip travel to London and represents the difference between
one-way travel in select economy "V" class fares and select
World Traveller Plus "T" class fares. A 7-day advance purchase is required.
</font>
Travel Dates / Price increase from V to T class

Until 03 Sept + $220

From 04 Sept-29 Oct, 18-23 Dec +$200

From 30 Oct-17 Dec, 24 Dec - 04 Apr + $180

small print

7-day advance purchase required. Based on round-trip purchase.

Payment and ticketing are due within 72 hours of booking.

If booked reound-trip in World Traveller Plus, refunds are permitted subject to 50% charge. If upgrade is one-way fare is non-refundable.

One change to outbound or inbound travel is permitted at a fee of $200, subject to availability. Outbound changes must be made at least 7-days prior to new date of departure.

World Traveller Plus is available on most North American services to London Heathrow

Offer is subject to government approval. This offer is valid for new bookings only.

Executive Club Miles can be earned, per the terms and conditions of the Executive Club programme.

Other significant restrictions may apply.

Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:43 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Are HTR and LHT really LHR?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:21 am
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
Think so as on another tread HEL is HKI!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

"During the first part of this year, I was able to get (if available) an upgrade from WT to WT+ for $200.00 at the check-in desk in BOS (Term E). It was a promotion, they said. But, the catch was it was only available for the segment BOS-HTR."

You can upgrade on board ( Space Available ) for 200. May I suggest that if you don't know the codes for airlines/airports that you use the complete name to avoid future confusion

Dave
Old Aug 17, 2003, 3:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by db7:
Think so as on another tread HEL is HKI!</font>

Confusing, isn't it, when locals have abbreviations for their own cities which are different from the ICAO/IATA codes.

South Africans insist on calling Johannesburg JHB, while we foreigners refer to it as JNB to avoid risking travel to Johor Bahru, Malaysia .

And there are the (apocryphal?) stories of check-in agents tagging whinging passengers' Los Angeles-bound bags to LOS (Lagos) instead of LAX .

A list of airport and airline codes is at http://www.wajb.freeserve.co.uk/IATAKL.txt
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
Are HTR and LHT really LHR? </font>
No, HTR really is Hateruma, Japan.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 6:37 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Originally posted by CT-UK:
Are HTR and LHT really LHR? </font>
No, HTR really is Hateruma, Japan.
I hope you looked that up and didn't just know it what about LHT??
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
"During the first part of this year, I was able to get (if available) an upgrade from WT to WT+ for $200.00 at the check-in desk in BOS (Term E). It was a promotion, they said. But, the catch was it was only available for the segment BOS-HTR."

You can upgrade on board ( Space Available ) for 200. May I suggest that if you don't know the codes for airlines/airports that you use the complete name to avoid future confusion

Dave
</font>
Dave, the "upgrade on board" option is not an official option and doesn't offer any guarantee that you'll get a seat, the "official" upgrade option to me seems more reliable AND offers WT+ miles/points. However it does require a high fare class on the WT ticket, for someone on a cheapie ticket your options is the best one.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

" Dave, the "upgrade on board" option is not an official option and doesn't offer any guarantee that you'll get a seat"

It may not be official but the staff on board seemed to know about it and have a price list. They also had payment receipt forms especially for on board upgrades so I assumed that it is fairly available subject to space.

Dave
Old Aug 17, 2003, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Airport codes are not my strong suit. Nokia calls Helsinki HKI so that is where that comes from.

Never tried to purchase the seat upgrade on-board, as it has always been at the check-in desk. I'll try that though if I get denied at check-in.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Dave Noble:
" Dave, the "upgrade on board" option is not an official option and doesn't offer any guarantee that you'll get a seat"

It may not be official but the staff on board seemed to know about it and have a price list. They also had payment receipt forms especially for on board upgrades so I assumed that it is fairly available subject to space.

Dave
</font>
Yes... and when I contacted an account manager at BA about this he told me (although in different words) to "shut up and never talk about it again..."

I have no idea who is behind the upgrade onboard scheme but it's not BA sales as they hate the idea...
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routires, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BAexec:
... Nokia calls Helsinki HKI ...

</font>
... but not when referring to Helsinki airport, I guess. HKI is Finnish people's shorthand for Helsinki, the city.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Yes... and when I contacted an account manager at BA about this he told me (although in different words) to "shut up and never talk about it again..."

I have no idea who is behind the upgrade onboard scheme but it's not BA sales as they hate the idea...
</font>
Was the final consensus on paying by credit card that it was charged in the same way as duty free sales? And do cabin crew get a commission on those? And, therefore, did some in cabin crew management dream this one up? Or am I being unforgiveably over-cynical?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Globaliser:
Originally posted by ScottC:

</font>
Was the final consensus on paying by credit card that it was charged in the same way as duty free sales? And do cabin crew get a commission on those? And, therefore, did some in cabin crew management dream this one up? Or am I being unforgiveably over-cynical?
They require ID and the number, they don't run it though the duty free terminal as all it does is remember the number, it can't authourize online, in case of doubt or on purchases over $850 they can call in the transaction though I am uncertain which department does the authourisation for them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.