Wiki Posts
Search

Online Check-in problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:24 am
NFH
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meli gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Online Check-in problems

This week I flew LCY-CDG-LCY on a day trip on full fare Y. Because someone jumped in front of the RER train I was on halfway between CDG and Paris, I had to stay an extra day in Paris and I phoned BA to change my ticket to return the following day back to LCY.

When I tried to check in online on the day of the amended return, BA's web site wouldn't let me, telling me that my travel agent had not completed the booking. I phoned BA's online helpdesk who told me that I couldn't use online check-in because I had amended my ticket. I asked them why they had withdrawn Telephone Check-in before Online Check-in was working properly (i.e. up to the same standard as Telephone Check-in), they couldn't provide an answer.

Fortunately, I got the seat I wanted when I arrived at CDG, and I just thought of other BA passengers at LHR who were at that point putting up with other much more serious problems than me. However, next time I'm on a longer flight and want to choose my seat on an amended return, this will really annoy me.

Why have BA not ironed out all the problems with Online Check-in before withdrawing Telephone Check-in? I feared this kind of problem would happen when BA announced the withdrawal of Telephone Check-in.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like someone made a mistake changing the ticket and reassociating your PNR with your e-ticket...

Again, Speedbird2018 will have a better answer.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:56 am

I would like to thank my agent Scott, for getting me this gig!

Well there was a problem with your PNR. Your PNR can be changed and still use OLCI. I changed my flight to JFK the other day, and was able to use OLCI.

So something was quite clearly not right in your PNR. Without seeing it, cannot say anymore.

However I will say OLCI has very strict tolerance levels regarding PNRS. This is to prevent check-in whilst there are outstanding charges to be paid etc. Sometimes amends to PNRs may cause OLCI to reject the pnr, but from a BA perspective, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:51 am

There have been several problems with OLCI and self-service check-in recently, due to a go-slow by the machines. Apparently, BA management have had the cheek to ask the machines to electronically record their working hours, rather than the scraps of paper on which this information is currently stored.

In addition, only computer affiliated with the TGWU are permitted to allow OLCI for flights between the UK and Europe, whereas GMB computers must be used for North Atlantic routes.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:53 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AndrewC:
There have been several problems with OLCI and self-service check-in recently, due to a go-slow by the machines. Apparently, BA management have had the cheek to ask the machines to electronically record their working hours, rather than the scraps of paper on which this information is currently stored.

In addition, only computer affiliated with the TGWU are permitted to allow OLCI for flights between the UK and Europe, whereas GMB computers must be used for North Atlantic routes.
</font>
Good to see a spot of true British irony here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.