Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two Seats on One Flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2003, 10:50 pm
Original Poster

Two Seats on One Flight

I have a Qantas award ticket for travel in FC.I want to buy a ticket in economy so I can recieve Tier points.Does anyone know if this is allowed?As a rule you cant get double Tier points.This is different.If not I will have to do a mr for the tier points.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 1:50 am

ok i kept passing by your post saying who is that desperate for miles I then realized long ago when I was young I checked my wife who was not with into the same flight as me to get miles for her. Now that I am older I just don't get it. Why not rebook the award ticket and stick it out in coach if you really need/want the miles/points?
Old Jul 11, 2003, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Are you saying that you want to travel on your FC award ticket, but buy an economy ticket for the same flight to get some miles.

Wouldn't you be classed as a no show - you could technically check in twice but you can't board the aircraft twice so they would off load you from the economy ticket (assuming that you boarded on the first ticket first otherwise they'd offload you from first but surely you would try to board in the same correct order).

I don't think it is a good idea and I don't think it would work - but it would make a great episode for a sitcom.

[This message has been edited by edi-traveller (edited 07-11-2003).]
Old Jul 11, 2003, 2:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't see any way it would work. edi-traveller is right, you would be offloaded on one of the b-p's as you physically cannot board twice. Plus you would delay the first flight while they try and find you.

Also, having 2 tickets in the same name on the same flight might attract a little unwanted security attention.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 7:47 am

It is my understanding that a few airlines do allow this on two seats in the same class. But only one seat would get status miles. (KLM comes to mind). Some people do this because two seats in Y on long haul flights can be a cheap way of increasing your personal space. I would call Qantas and ask - though as you are in F and the seat will be in Y, I think it won't be possible.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 10:29 am

Programs: Executive Club :-)
Won't work, you would show up as a no show on your Y class ticket and it would not be credited to your account.
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:53 pm

Location: BNE, Australia...not too far from the nearest Qantas Pub err Club
I, too, have been watching this thread, and it prompted a call to the QF premium desk.

The answer is "no" if you want to buy 2 seats which are in different cabins. This is due to security issues.

The answer is "yes" if you want to buy 2 seats in the same cabin.

If you want Status (Tier) Credits as Y, why not buy a Y ticket, and use your IF points to upgrade to J (shown on ITN as "U")? QF will have the sleeper J seats on the Kangaroo Route later this year. A tip - QF31/32 show the best availability for "U" seats.

Do this before 1 January 2004, as the upgrade levels skyrocket after that date - from 100,000 points return to 180,000.

Finally, you will soon be able to use QF points to buy J seats on BA on the Kangaroo route later this year, apparently once QF has an equivalent product on that route. Keep in mind you can't upgrade on BA using QF points, you will only be able to get a full award ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses.I failed to mention that I was flying BA.I never flew Qantas.I am limited in time and also hate economy.The solution is to fly free fc tickets and pay foe economy to get Tier points,all indications on this board are that it wont work.However at check in ground staff can do things that are not strictly by the rules and as such I was askind.As is these are Qantas non-changeable tickets that I use on the wrong dates.Well I fly Tuesday and time will tell.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 3:41 pm

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
I would have brought along a friend/relative/significant other etc. in the first place.

Issue the F class award ticket in the friend's name, and a buy a Y ticket in your name (so you get miles/points).

When you board the aircraft, just switch seats.
Old Jul 12, 2003, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Just a thought - why not do what musicians like Yo Yo Ma do - designate the F seat for your "cello" or other "rare musical instrument", and use the Y seat for yourself? Then after takeoff, your "cello" and you could switch seats?
Old Jul 12, 2003, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks,I was aware of the two seat deal but didnt think about your idea of switching.Actually I ncould use an excuse like I want the hand baggage in first but I can imagine the in flight crew having a problem.Thanks for the hjeads up.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 6:54 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Had one the other day. Two names on the manifest (two purchased seats in CW) one was Ms and the other was Cello Chakleton.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I read Hugh Grant often buys two seats for himself, usually after scandals involving LA whores

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.