Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Photography and the Concorde

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2003, 12:22 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
64Mb for high-res photos? If you want to take a LOT use 128, or better, a 1Gb Microdrive...</font>
Why microdrives? There are already 1GB memory cards available which will eat much less battery power then any microdrive...

I usually have 4x256 MB cards with me, which gives me about 600 pics in the highest resolution and gives me the opportunity to keep the pics separated from the camera.

Old Jul 13, 2003, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all of the folks that provided all the helpful input. As a result, I am going to take both a digital, AND my APS.

What is the best speed of film to use for this type of photography ?

And is it a safe assumption to say that if the shot worked from a certain angle on my digital camera, and if I stand in the same spot to shoot on the APS, that I will get the same shot ?
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
My advice would be to take a semi-professional ISO 400 speed film. Having a 400 will be flexible enough to take interior shots without flash, without too much risk of camera shake or unacceptable exposure, while still being able to take outside shots. But normal (eg Kodak Gold) 400 speed films are grainy and will give you noticeably poorer results. A semi-professional stock should get you finer grain.

Only difficulty is that you will be limited in choice with an APS compared to standard 35 mm film.

I wouldn't count on exactly the "same shot" even if you take both pics from the same place at the same time - but they should be pretty close. Much will depend on the lens length (how much view you get into the picture), whether you've got the exposure right, the differences between film emulsion response and digital sensor response, etc.

Don't write off flash completely. There will be some situations where it'll be useful - see the shot that I linked to above.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hammer:
Why microdrives? There are already 1GB memory cards available which will eat much less battery power then any microdrive...

I usually have 4x256 MB cards with me, which gives me about 600 pics in the highest resolution and gives me the opportunity to keep the pics separated from the camera.

</font>
Pricewise. I refuse to pay 900 for a flash card. Besides that, I find the microdrive to be faster than even the ULTRACF cards at the moment. Can't wait for the 5Gb MD Hitachi is introducing later this year.
Old Jul 13, 2003, 7:59 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Here are two tips I picked up on my recent Concorde journey.

1. DO NOT use a FLASH...I think it is common sense with a window in front of you...but if you take a picture of the mach sign with a flash sometimes, maybe most times you cannot then read the mach numbers in your picture.

2. I have heard you need to sit on the side of the plane that faces north...so left side to LHR and right side from LHR...and you will see better the curvature of the earth.

Have fun
Old Jul 14, 2003, 1:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazy canuck:
Why No flash ?</font>
Because you'll get reflection from the glass.
Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ScottC:
Pricewise. I refuse to pay 900 for a flash card. Besides that, I find the microdrive to be faster than even the ULTRACF cards at the moment. Can't wait for the 5Gb MD Hitachi is introducing later this year.</font>
A 256MB FlashCard cost about 50-60 EUR - so four of them comes to max. 240EUR... not too expensive, is it?
Old Jul 15, 2003, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Hammer:
A 256MB FlashCard cost about 50-60 EUR - so four of them comes to max. 240EUR... not too expensive, is it?</font>
You don't know me well enough, I have enough trouble making sure I don't lose my camera, let alone 4 seperate flash cards
Old Jul 15, 2003, 10:29 am

You don't know me well enough, I have enough trouble making sure I don't lose my camera, let alone 4 seperate flash cards </font>

They come in cute little plastic boxes which fits nicely into my travel brief case... but they are easy to lose, thats right!

Oh, BTW, I checked the prices for 1GB FlashCards - 259 EUR at www.amazon.de! And thats not the cheapest one, I'm sure...

[edited to correct link]

[This message has been edited by Hammer (edited 07-16-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.