Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Rod Eddington's article in the FT of July 14, 2003

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2003, 2:38 am
Original Poster

Whilst reading an article in Monday's US Edition of the FT written by none other than Rod Eddington on the topic of the limitations of globalisation and the parallels to be drawn with the British Empire, I couldn't help myself from being tempted to want to draw another parallel, this time with the BA EC program and its recent changes towards a unified 'one size fits all' program. See for yourself what you think from reading the following excerpts:

" Globalisation is not regarded as a universal truth. Its opponents are not just 'globaphobes'. They are not always wrong. There are those who pursue the theory of economic integration without reference to local conditions. "

" The lessons of empire also apply to business. If we lose suppleness we will lose the game. Companies have to reflect the communities they serve. This is not pious political correctness. Unless companies serve their communities with the appropriate values, we will, in due course, be run out of town. "

" We have to employ and empower local managers who can help the centre understand local realities. "

As you can see from reading the quotes above and/or the link to the entire article below, it appears to me that Mr. Eddington is not exactly applying his philosophy to the way the BA EC program is being run, in particular as it relates to the most recent changes that do no longer take into account the specificities of the different markets BA does business in.

Food for thougtht ... Enjoy!

http://search.ft.com/search/article....rch&state=Form

Old Jul 15, 2003, 3:45 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Thanks, kzoom...a lot of apparently-discarded wisdom in Mr. Eddington's statements.

It appears that the US and Western Europe (including Britain) are to be considered centre rather than outpost--if the Emperor reserves the right to define centre and outpost, then the arrogance he speaks of already pervades.

--Grog--

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.