Wiki Posts
Search

Do British Airways miles Expire???

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 1:57 am
SLF

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by mo_in_uk
Yes, if an individual account hasn't had any activity in the last 3 years, the miles will expire. It doesn't matter that it is part of a household account with other active accounts.
Information in this thread suggests otherwise - especially post #10. It could be worth following the same approach as that poster, however.
Old May 13, 2005, 6:42 am
dnw

Originally Posted by mo_in_uk
Yes, if an individual account hasn't had any activity in the last 3 years, the miles will expire. It doesn't matter that it is part of a household account with other active accounts.
Nope. Activiy in any one account keeps the rest of the household alive.
Old May 13, 2005, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by dnw
Nope. Activiy in any one account keeps the rest of the household alive.

The only BA miles I have are Jaguar Miles...10000 each for 4 people in my family (I'm primarily UA/DL)

Looks like they are going to expire in a month..

OOOOPs looks like I have a year and a month.. I'll have to work on that counting thing

So I don't have any flights planned anytime soon and I don't have any diners cards...

So try idine for myself and then looking to see if they post in time, and if not, buy 1000 miles for $50 sounds like the best choice.

Last edited by caseynshan; May 13, 2005 at 3:42 pm
Old May 13, 2005, 4:59 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
My Question was Answered by BAEC

Quite a coincidence but today my spouse received e-mail from BA as follows:

Dear__________:

The BA Miles you’ve earned are set to expire. We’re calling this matter to your attention now while there’s still time to retain your BA Miles.

According to our records, your last posted transaction was on XX/XX/2002. BA Miles expire 36 months after you last earned or redeemed miles.

There is still time to extend your BA Miles simply by doing one of the following prior to your expiration date:

[List of ways to earn/use BA miles]

To ensure your BA Miles and Tier Points accrue properly, always remember to add your Executive Club membership number, XXXXXXXXX, when booking flights or at Manage My Booking at ba.com.

On behalf of everyone at British Airways, I very much hope we will be welcoming you on board again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Weisser
Vice President Marketing, North America

Our household account has mileage credit through my account as of earlier this year. So I will transfer some Diners Club miles to her account. I am happy that BA gave me notice.

In contrast, because I was not aware of their policy and received no notice, Starwood took away all my points due to no stays in 12 months resulting from temporary lack of travel to areas where their properties were convenient. I complained; but was told "rules is rules". Later I resumed a prior travel pattern; but have avoided the Sheratons et.al. So far this policy on their part has deprived them of over 25 nights; but resulted in elite status at Hilton and Marriott. So I will probably never be back if there is any reasonable alternative.

How they continue to win a Freddie, I will never understand. But that is another OT peeve and among the reasons I think these awards are a farce.
Old May 14, 2005, 5:05 am

Programs: none yet :(
Originally Posted by ropmot141
Information in this thread suggests otherwise - especially post #10. It could be worth following the same approach as that poster, however.
My apologies for that.
Old May 19, 2005, 8:06 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Diners Club credits cannot post to others in household account

Originally Posted by kappa
So I will transfer some Diners Club miles to [my spouse] account.
Diners (DC) has now notified me that the transfer did not go through because BAEC will not accept transfers from a DC account in one name to a BAEC account in another name - even if there is a secondary DC card in the spouse name to the same BAEC household account name.

In years past we both earned BA Silver; but why should we even spend the few dollars required to buy some flowers or eat at a non-descript NYC restaurant to keep these miles?

I will probably find a way that will mean no additional expense; but only because I feel that someday there may be an airline combination that will make them worth more than they are for flying on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.