Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas Trees

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2001, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Christmas Trees

Is there any reason why I cannot check in a Christmas Tree? I understand the foot and mouth risk, but it is plastic! In the end I had to part with £26 excess baggage. This is rather steep as the tree only cost £15 from Woolworths.

However the army of stewards checking in behind me all had orchids from their trip to Singapore. How come they didn't get charged? The flight was from LHR to Edinburgh.
Old Dec 4, 2001, 2:35 am

I think the BA staff must have been suprised to see a plastic tree! Donkeys on a charter flight yes, orchids yes, but a plastic tree?

I think I would have dumped the tree and bought one on arrival in Edinburgh. it would have been cheaper.

Tell me. You didn't assemble it beforehand did you?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 2:52 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Woodie my Love, we see Donkeys every day in our profession.Most, but not all, are on the Flight Deck, the rest are mostly in the premium cabins. They certainly bray enough. I have this dream of riding on one in a Nativity Play, but I was never ever allowed to play Mary as she was a virgin (so Sister Mary Agnes said).

A to B. My mind such as it is at this hour of the morning is having a quick boggle. Is there any reason why you could not but a tree in Glasgow. I feel that this post is only telling us half the story. You will also appreciate that there is a difference between an Orchid and a Christmas Tree. Have you ever tried decorating an orchid or sticking a Fairy on the top (easy tigers!). I know it is irritating, but I fly with Scottish stewards and I can even imagine who these were. I suppose we must be thankful that your tree did not get lost, can you imagine the IRR on that one. Please, excuse my levity (it is silly season), but why were you taking the tree in the first place?
Old Dec 4, 2001, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Am I mad... yes. The tree was boxed when I checked it in, and when it finally appeared on the belt in Edinburgh.

The reason I took it up North, favour for the relatives. You know what it is like at Christmas! The thought of my Great Aunt struggling on the National Express bus was just too much.

Anyway moving swiftly back onto BA, I need some more advice. I have had a Gold Card for about a year now. I am about to be become Silver again (which is fine, but I'd rather give it large with my Gold baggage tags in the BM lounge, when I have to fly with them!)

I am about 200 points under the required amount, and still missing a Boston Club credit (120?) from Sept. I send a copy of the boarding card and still have the original.

Can I bribe someone with exotic orchids from Birmingham perhaps?

Sorry to waffle on!
Old Dec 4, 2001, 11:12 am
Original Member

Had a funny similar situation 2 years ago with christmas crackers...British Midland GLA-LHR insisted I carry them on...TWA LGW-STL insisted I check them...

JL
Old Dec 5, 2001, 7:52 am

We got poppers through last year, and the Capt was a dream and let us fire them all off in the F and CW. We popped all the Champagne (yes the Krug too) when we were about to shut the bar and everyone on board had some to toast the New Year.

Great Fun (but you have to choose your Capt some are fun others are not (one of them breed bulldogs, irrelevant but what the heck)
Old Dec 5, 2001, 9:08 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by A to B with BA:
I am about 200 points under the required amount, and still missing a Boston Club credit (120?) from Sept. I send a copy of the boarding card and still have the original.</font>
Email me A to B, I think I know a way that you could get credit ....

Old Dec 6, 2001, 10:52 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PUCCI GALORE:
We got poppers through last year, and the Capt was a dream and let us fire them all off in the F and CW. </font>
Ohhhhh. That sort of popper. I had it all wrong.

Old Dec 6, 2001, 12:19 pm

MatthewClement, where have you been? Have you been slumming it over at some sleazy board like...Northwest (I've been rude enough about United for a little while).

You know, you remind me long long ago that there was a book the title of which I used in an exchange with some very tedious passengers. I said "Coffee? Tea? Me?"

This man looked at me utterly nonchalantly and said " I think I'd rather have a Martini" I don't know how I didn't drop the lot in his lap, I just corpsed. People like him (and you lot) go a long way.

I'd love to digress further, but I have to away to LHR and up up and away. Pucci will be away for a few days. Remember I still have my hairbrush, AND my Hair Dryer,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.