Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Award Travel using Partner Awards - is this possible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 1999, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I would like to fly on BA but am not a member of their FF program. Is is possible to use miles in partner airlines for this? What airlines or other partners would this work for? I have many miles in AMEX miles, delta, united and continental. thanks
Old May 2, 1999, 2:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I use Alaska miles to book BA award travel. You can use Alaska miles to book travel on almost anything. I love it.
Old May 2, 1999, 6:58 pm
Original Member

whough:

It sounds like your best be is to transfer your Amex points into a Canadian Plus account, then user your CP points, to book awards on BA. The CP award chart and rules for BA flights can be found at:

http://www.cdnair.ca/eng/cpi/05points/awrdbrit.html

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old May 2, 1999, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the assistance, but Ken, Canadian Plus doesn't seem to participate in AMEX's Membership Miles - unless I'm missing something!

Old May 2, 1999, 8:51 pm
Original Member

whough:

I'm guessing you are missing something then, perhaps big-time. CP seems to participate with Amex more than any other airline. For example, you get a 1000 point Amex MR bonus for paying for your CP ticket with Amex, you get discounted award travel (3000-10000 points off) if you transfer points from Amex to CP, and Amex companion ticket certificates, just to mention a few.

OH WAIT! It occurs to me that you might have a US Amex card, which might change things dramatically, but I was pretty sure that the US program did participate with CP.

You might want to look into it, 'cause I don't think you have any other options.

Good luck,

Ken Hamer
Old May 4, 1999, 1:16 pm

I don't believe that Canadian Airlines participates in the Membership Rewards program with US issued American Express cards.

The airlines which do include: Delta Air Lines, US Airways, Continental, TWA, Southwest Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Virgin Atlantic Airways, Swissair, Korean Air, AeroMexico, EL AL Israel Airlines, Sabena, Mexicana, Austrian Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, and LatinPass.

see: http://www6.americanexpress.com/rewards/programs/

The only way that I can think of to use your AmEx miles on BA is to transfer the membership rewards points to Cathay Pacific Airways, who is a member of the One World Alliance. Then, you should be able to use Cathay miles on BA. Look into this carefully to make sure that you then can use these miles on BA, I'm not positive.

The other option is not to fly BA - lots of other choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.