Wiki Posts
Search

Finnair vs. BA on transatlantic flights

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 1999, 12:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Finnair vs. BA on transatlantic flights

I have to select between BA and Finnair on a transatlantic Canadian Plus miles redemption
flight in economy class. I like BA and use them quite frequently, but never had experience with Finnair. Should I try the Finns or stick to the Brits?
Old Apr 28, 1999, 1:07 am

Programs: Qantas, Hilton, IHG
My Finnish friends all say BA! Although Finnair is probably quite good. Do you want to go to the UK or Helsinki? That's possibly a more important question.
Old Apr 28, 1999, 1:23 am

BA without doubt. The new World Traveller service is one of the best in the air.

Nick

Old Apr 28, 1999, 4:49 am
Original Member

Not that Nick speaks from personal experience, of course...
...but he has looked at the brochures
Old Apr 28, 1999, 5:31 am

Cough. Cough. I have been in World Traveller, I will have you know.

I flew Houston-Gatwick not so long ago in World Traveller, as my PA and two HR Assistants were travelling on the same flight in Economy. I very graciously agreed to travel economy.

Nick

PS: Never again!
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:16 am
Original Member

Gosh, weren't BA having kittens at the thought of a Premier in the back?

The CSD must have been all over you like a rash.

Those poor assistants must have thought it was always like that in Economy!
Old Apr 28, 1999, 8:48 am

Don't be nasty now. Although they did ask if I would like to go "up front" for dinner. I said know, so they gave me a bottle of Hennessy XO (in a First Class bag of course) as a booby prize.

The CSD was terribly nice, and they did offer an upgrade at check-in, in the First Class Lounge and upon boarding.

Other than that, it was extra pretzels, a newspaper, and extra chocolates. Maybe a couple of extra drinks, but I don't recall exactly.

Nick
Old Apr 28, 1999, 9:19 am
Original Member

Merry: I have never seen you say that "I recall exactlly...".
Old Apr 28, 1999, 9:32 am
Original Member

Well, at least they seem to realise that you're pals with James

Old Apr 28, 1999, 10:45 am

Thank you Bab's, but the fact I went to school with young James, has nothing to do with my passion for Brandy.

Now stop stirring up trouble!
Old Apr 28, 1999, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Ah, and I thought you missed me...

I shall be terribly polite (silent)
Old Apr 28, 1999, 2:39 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
let's put another "l" to my last name and drink with/to that
Old Apr 28, 1999, 2:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
boris: remembering an old boris-posting I thought that you will make your choice of airline only looking at the age of the flight-attendants, don't you?
Old Apr 28, 1999, 4:21 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

A point of clarification: I am flying to Madrid, Spain. But I have never been to Helsinki and would like to see the city. I just though that, maybe, it would make sense to redeem my points on Finnair and get a 2 day stopover in Helsinki on the way back.

Rudi: yes, the age of flight attendants DOES mean a lot. Compare the OLD, FAT, LAZY and UGLY women on North American airlines with the YOUNG, ENERGETIC and PRETTY ones on some European carriers!!! What do you think about the flight attendants on Finnair?
Old Apr 28, 1999, 6:08 pm
Original Member

I think this should be a serious consideration too! Although on the whole, you are right about US airlines, when I came back to VA on Delta to Atlanta, there was a gourgeous young stewardess serving drinks to us in first class. As a young fellow myself, I just sat and gazed in awe!

On a similar note, I seem to remember reading somewhere a year ago or so that some older (and uglier) stewardesses at Crossair, a subsidiary of Swissair, were suing the airline for making a conscious effort to only hire good-looking young females to be members of their cabin crew. Unfortunately, I do not have any follow-up information, but I will post it if I come across it ...

But, Boris is definitely right, European airlines' stewardesses have a lot more in the
"looks" department than their North American counterparts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.