Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying F from LHR T3 vs T5

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 3:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
For me the difference is that the F lounges at T3 with the exception of BA's F dining room are all available to oneworld emeralds whereas the Concorde Room in T5 is only available if you're actually flying first (or, I guess, if you're GGL). So that makes it a little bit special and If I were paying for an F ticket, I would consider going with BA from T5.
But if your final destination is Atlanta, then I agree with HogwartsExpress that the direct flight with F supersedes any other routing that triggers an extra stop (unless you need the tier points in which case you can go via JFK, MIA or DFW and experience AA's F dining as well as the CCR in T5).
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One world
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
For me the difference is that the F lounges at T3 with the exception of BA's F dining room are all available to oneworld emeralds whereas the Concorde Room in T5 is only available if you're actually flying first (or, I guess, if you're GGL). So that makes it a little bit special and If I were paying for an F ticket, I would consider going with BA from T5.
But if your final destination is Atlanta, then I agree with HogwartsExpress that the direct flight with F supersedes any other routing that triggers an extra stop (unless you need the tier points in which case you can go via JFK, MIA or DFW and experience AA's F dining as well as the CCR in T5).
We're using airmiles and a companion voucher so other routines probably wouldn't work unless it was direct to/from DFW but they don't have F seats at the time We're going, May 2025. I assume we were able to get F availability because LHR-ATL isn't a popular route, other routes I checked link miami had no availability for reward flights.
all in all I think we'll stick with T3, still get some decent lounges, F flights and direct to the location we need to go to. If F becomes available for DFW could look at changing if there was availability.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Oh didn’t realise you were on 241. In which case ATL has quite generous amounts released. I’d stick with that and keep it simple. I wouldn’t let an hour or two in a lounge influence my decision
Old May 21, 2024, 11:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
ATL has an excellent Amex Plat/Centurian lounge
Old May 22, 2024, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Welcome to Flyertalk and here at the BA Forum HeatherT2408

Good advice above there and any more queries then fire away. The knowledge here is really quite remarkable and of course there is also the USA forums should you need any advice on your roadtrip.
KARFA, crazy8534 and BertieBadger like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
In T3, the BA F lounge is quite OK and often fairly quiet. The CX lounge is great when it's quiet and still OK when busy. The QF lounge (business, not F) is an impressive place to have a cocktail but the food options are not extensive and there's no quieter places to relax. AA F is like a very grey, very upscale hotel lobby but it's usually quite quiet.

My preference is to go to CX F and eat, and if it's quiet enough to get a comfortable seat then stay there, otherwise go over to BA F. Unless I'm in a great hurry in which case the buffet at BA wins over waiting for table service at CX.
Old May 22, 2024, 2:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: One world
Thanks all, really helpful advice. One other lounge related question is there a limit to how early you can check in and go to the lounge? Our flight is 16:15. Thanks
Old May 22, 2024, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Avoid the Club at ATL, it's a tragic lounge experience.
Massive understatement
Old May 22, 2024, 3:00 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by HeatherT2408
Thanks all, really helpful advice. One other lounge related question is there a limit to how early you can check in and go to the lounge? Our flight is 16:15. Thanks
No limit, check in and visit as early as you like.

Some people may counsel against arriving early on the basis that lounges are nothing more than glorified waiting rooms, and obviously at one level that is true, but waiting while enjoying food and drink with good company in comfy surroundings can be a worthwhile pleasure in itself. You've already said that this is something of a treat that you're not likely to repeat, so I would personally suggest not to put too much weight on any opinion where familiarity has possibly bred a degree of contempt.

In other words, I'd err on the side of spending longer in this circumstance, especially if you plan to visit multiple different ones (and why not, see which you enjoy the most)
Old May 22, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
The First dining section of the BA lounge in T3 is very nice and isn't just for dining. It was plenty of natural light and comfortable seating away from the tables. It's generally very quiet as it's GGL/F pax only.
flarmip and HeatherT2408 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.