Wiki Posts
Search

Flying F from LHR T3 vs T5

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: One world
Flying F from LHR T3 vs T5

We’ve just booked LHR-ATL return in F for next year. I didn’t realise at the time (my fault for not checking before hand) that the flight goes from terminal 3 not 5. Haven't flown F before and not likely to again so wanted to make use of the FW, concorde room in T5. So question is is it worth flying first from T3 and using lounges there or should we look to reroute the flight to a T5 departure or go Club from T3? Also any advice on lounges in ATL, doesn't look like many options. Thanks
Old May 21, 2024, 12:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Mucci
Yes, the Concorde Dining Room in the T3 Galleries First lounge is very nice plus you get to use the CX F lounge too.
The CCR in T5 is nicer of course but the main advantage would be if you are connecting from a domestic flight and so could avoid security again at LHR.
Not sure it would be worth an extra connection in the US though.

The lounge in ATL for BA flights (The Club) is pretty awful, I route through DFW or MIA and fly home on BA F from there if I am in ATL.
I also find the flight ATL-LHR generally a bit too late for my liking, particularly when you haven't been able to get a decent meal before you board.
My campaign to have the lounge demolished and replaced with Chick-Fil-A and vouchers for BA eligible passengers continues to gather momentum.

Incidentally, the AAdmirals Club in ATL is very nice IMHO.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by HeatherT2408
So question is is it worth flying first from T3 and using lounges there or should we look to reroute the flight to a T5 departure or go Club from T3? Also any advice on lounges in ATL, doesn't look like many options. Thanks
Not flown out of T3 for a few years, but I much preferred the Gold/F lounge in T3 over the packed equivalent in T5. CCR for me is a little too formal (I'm not a fan of waitered dining in an airport) and can also get very busy, very quickly. I've been to the CCR many times and not once found it to be a pleasant experience. But, the BA T3 and T5B lounges are thoroughly recommended. Even in F I'll go T5B if it's a B or C gate departure.
crazy8534 and SxMan like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The T3 lounges are very good ( CX F can get busy before the CX flights) but last few times BA F has been quiet ( a lot quieter compared to T5 Galleries F)
Qantas can be good and AA F is also available
If you have an Amex Plat card the Centurion lounge in T3 is also available

Regards

TBS
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I find the Gold Lounge in T3 always quiet and peaceful, with plenty of seats and areas away from others.

I was in CX F lounge for a few hours on Sunday. It gets a fair bit of hype around here - the service in the restaurant was appalling. Three of us had starters / mains brought out with significant intervals and in the wrong order. My friend had their starter and main delivered at the same time a fair while after two of us had finished starters. The drinks service was dire, and asked for water maybe three times before it arrived.

However, T3 can be enjoyable, allow yourself plenty of time, there’s decent fast track security with the new scanners. Enjoy a beer at the bar in Qantas, first dining in BA and then maybe some noodles in CX.

I can’t think of a reason to pop by AA. I did on Sunday and left after five mins !

Last edited by mikeyfly; May 21, 2024 at 12:48 pm
Old May 21, 2024, 12:55 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I was in CX F lounge for a few hours on Sunday. It gets a fair bit of hype around here- ...The drinks service was dire
The drinks all come from the bar in the J lounge, so you are just saving yourself a short walk and adding a long wait by ordering in F lounge.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Avoid the Club at ATL, it's a tragic lounge experience.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, SAS Eurobonus
Don’t ever make your flight plans solely (or even nearly solely) based on a lounge.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
Don’t ever make your flight plans solely (or even nearly solely) based on a lounge.
Arguably there are a few that are worthy of the experience - LH's First Class Terminal for one. The CCR however, really isn't that special. Stick with the flights to where you want to go.
subject2load and mikeyfly like this.
Old May 21, 2024, 1:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by DeathSlam
The drinks all come from the bar in the J lounge, so you are just saving yourself a short walk and adding a long wait by ordering in F lounge.
This is my experience also but imagine being told in the Concorde Room at T5 we are busy just pop back to Galleries First and get a coffee….

Flying from T3 you can do the lounge hop there’s American which has a nice dining area and decent food, Qantas for the Squid, Gin and some nice wines, the BA Dining Room is OK but inferior to CCR then you’ve got your noodles and dim sum etc. Personally given the lounge at ATL on the return I’d route via somewhere out of T5, DFW, MIA, ORD, JFK each direction to get a better lounge experience both ways. The outbound is subjective of course.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by HogwartsExpress
Mine wasn’t solely on a lounge but heavily influenced by it… I’m flying F to CUN. I’ve been in all the F lounges in T3 via Status Part from the Concorde Dining Room but I’ve eaten in that nook a lot pre Covid when it was from the food to order menu. I opted to go via DFW T5 mostly because AA F isn’t as polished as BA F and I’ve only been to the CCR twice so wanted to try it.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, the Concorde Dining Room in the T3 Galleries First lounge is very nice plus you get to use the CX F lounge too.
The CCR in T5 is nicer of course but the main advantage would be if you are connecting from a domestic flight and so could avoid security again at LHR.
Not sure it would be worth an extra connection in the US though.

The lounge in ATL for BA flights (The Club) is pretty awful, I route through DFW or MIA and fly home on BA F from there if I am in ATL.
I also find the flight ATL-LHR generally a bit too late for my liking, particularly when you haven't been able to get a decent meal before you board.
My campaign to have the lounge demolished and replaced with Chick-Fil-A and vouchers for BA eligible passengers continues to gather momentum.

Incidentally, the AAdmirals Club in ATL is very nice IMHO.
Thanks. Was looking at coming back from DFW but cant see any F flights next year, wonderes if they pulled it as a F route.
I do love a chick-fil-a.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by HeatherT2408
Thanks. Was looking at coming back from DFW but cant see any F flights next year, wonderes if they pulled it as a F route.
I do love a chick-fil-a.
There’s F on the A380 until end of March. Then appears to be 777 without F for summer schedule
Old May 21, 2024, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

There’s F on the A380 until end of March. Then appears to be 777 without F for summer schedule
Ah that makes sense I was looking for May. Well be driving around Georgia, Tennesee, Lousiana and Texas so DFW could have worked but dont think others have F seats and miami etc are a bit far away.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 3:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
interesting that DFW is losing F. I’d have thought as a business-heavy route it would retain it.

Looks like A380 until the winter schedule at the end of October, then 4-class 77W, back to A380 in January before losing F in March.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.