Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First trip to Delhi

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2024, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)
First trip to Delhi

Any advice for first time trip to Delhi (From LON) ? I see BA has 2 flights a day - any preference on best one to take ? See stopping options via HEL on AY or DOH on QR…. Travelling early October out Sunday, back Friday in BIZ. Makes a change from NYC and back !

many thanks

BBF
Old May 17, 2024, 12:24 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Blue Box Flynn
Any advice for first time trip to Delhi (From LON) ? I see BA has 2 flights a day - any preference on best one to take ? See stopping options via HEL on AY or DOH on QR…. Travelling early October out Sunday, back Friday in BIZ. Makes a change from NYC and back !

many thanks

BBF
Get ready for a sensory overload when you exit formalities and enter into the arrivals hall. Sights, sounds, smells, foods...I was a bit overwhelmed on my first arrivals experience in DEL. I've now been to India about 18 times - but I will never forget the sensory experience I had the first trip. Granted that was the old terminal, and I arrived at midnight and by connection to BLR was at 6am in the old domestic terminal.

There are LOTS of people to meet family and friends - more than I have witnessed in other parts of the world. Plus a ton of drivers with pax names/hotel names on a placard. My personal preference is to arrive in India in the daytime as you will not have to book a hotel night to guarantee you can go straight to the room. If you arrive in the wee hours, there are many European and North American carriers with flights arriving, so it's more chaotic, and your hotel may not let you check-in straight away.

Have fun.
tmac100 and Blue Box Flynn like this.
Old May 17, 2024, 12:26 pm

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Check the equipment carefully on this route . Lots of old club world if you are not careful.
Blue Box Flynn likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:10 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
Check the equipment carefully on this route . Lots of old club world if you are not careful.
Old club world isn't all bad, in some ways it is better than CS. Could be worse you could be on the business class on the 747-8 on Lufthansa where not only do you have an immediate neighbour, but they face towards you with little or no screen...
Old May 17, 2024, 3:00 pm

It used to have a very bad reputation for crooked taxi drivers, well above what you normally get at airports. Is that still a problem?
Old May 18, 2024, 5:29 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Advice no. 1: Book a car pickup through your hotel!
Old May 18, 2024, 6:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Honours Diamond
Originally Posted by Greenpen
It used to have a very bad reputation for crooked taxi drivers, well above what you normally get at airports. Is that still a problem?
Not a problem anymore. Use Uber.
Old May 18, 2024, 6:17 am

1. Check whether you need a visa for India.
2. Check if you need certain vaccinations
3. Only drink bottled water
4. Take some precautionary medicine for stomach upset
5. Avoid salads
6. Avoid Taxi touts at Airport
7. Takeout travel insurance

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.
Old May 18, 2024, 6:49 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Old club world isn't all bad, in some ways it is better than CS.
Having used both I can't think of anyway that CW is better than CS so I'm interested to know how you reached your conclusion.
Old May 18, 2024, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

8. go vegetarian unless you are very very confident about the restaurant
9. do NOT eat fish and seafood unless you are at the coast, and even then…

9 is informed by 2 old colleagues getting stuck into shrimp on a hotel buffet in Delhi. Ended up in hospital for a few days.

Enjoy the trip nonetheless. It’s a truly fascinating place.
Kay_Baden likes this.

Last edited by Swanhunter; May 18, 2024 at 7:05 am
Old May 18, 2024, 7:00 am

Barbecue Nation is a great restaurant chain. All you can eat (Vegetarian and Non Vegetarian) Never had any problems.
Old May 18, 2024, 7:50 am

Programs: AS/UA/DL
1. Great city with interesting people and history.
2. There is incredible food!
3. The first step outside the terminal is can be overwhelming — have hotel send a driver to mert you inside or take Uber.
4. Flights arriving and departing during day are better — waiting for a 3 am departure is not fun.
5. Plan to visit the outstanding BA contract lounge on departure (Encalm Prive up elevators behind pharmacy).
6. Pay attention to the predicted and actual air pollution in Delhi.
Vaterland and Blue Box Flynn like this.
Old May 18, 2024, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC, AA, Emirates, Hilton, Hyatt, Taj Hotels
I have been many times to India - mostly Mumbai and also to Delhi last year.

When I first went about 10 years ago I was terrified of the food and water (and I'm a lover of Asian food) as historically this was cause for concern. In all those years I have never - touch wood - had a problem. A colleague of mine was laid low eating street food and someone else got a bug eating seafood from a buffet. These are two areas therefore to approach with caution, but generally speaking staying/eating in good hotels should keep you out of trouble. Good restaurants in Delhi are in abundance outside of the hotels and are perfectly safe. Many Indians are vegetarian either permanently or at certain times so vegetarian food is great - if occasionally a bit bland - but if you have concerns, you should be on safe ground there.

If you are going frequently, I found that joining one of the hotel schemes (I'm with Taj for example) often gets you perks such as a pre-booked pick-up at the airport. When you come off a long flight it's a great relief not to have to haggle over taxis and end up in a small Suzuki with no discernible suspension. Other alternative used to be to go on Emirates via Dubai. Limo on arrival was baked into the ticket. Never had an issue booking into a hotel at odd hours - possibly another upside of being in the club so to speak.

Delhi International Airport is relatively new - there was still considerable construction going on exactly a year ago. Arrivals hall was very quiet compared to the zoo at BOM. The downside of that is that BA didn't have a proper lounge - I think the lounges were a work in progress - so you ended up in a dreadful sports bar with thumping music. Hopefully that's changed.

Both my flights to DEL were CS last year - I took the overnight in both directions and slept very well. I don't sleep well in CW but there are those here that will argue the toss on that all day long! Catering out of Delhi was pretty 'meh' so I would plan on sleeping all the way given the departure time and eat in Arrivals back at LHR.

But yes, unless you have been to other parts of the developing world, it can be a bit of a shock to the system at first. Hopefully the Monsoon season will be over by October - we usually go in January when the weather is ideal - especially coming from gloomy London (a definite perk). When we were in DEL in May it was ferociously hot.
Old May 18, 2024, 9:47 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Betteronacamel
I have been many times to India - mostly Mumbai and also to Delhi last year.

When I first went about 10 years ago I was terrified of the food and water (and I'm a lover of Asian food) as historically this was cause for concern. In all those years I have never - touch wood - had a problem. A colleague of mine was laid low eating street food and someone else got a bug eating seafood from a buffet. These are two areas therefore to approach with caution, but generally speaking staying/eating in good hotels should keep you out of trouble. Good restaurants in Delhi are in abundance outside of the hotels and are perfectly safe. Many Indians are vegetarian either permanently or at certain times so vegetarian food is great - if occasionally a bit bland - but if you have concerns, you should be on safe ground there.

If you are going frequently, I found that joining one of the hotel schemes (I'm with Taj for example) often gets you perks such as a pre-booked pick-up at the airport. When you come off a long flight it's a great relief not to have to haggle over taxis and end up in a small Suzuki with no discernible suspension. Other alternative used to be to go on Emirates via Dubai. Limo on arrival was baked into the ticket. Never had an issue booking into a hotel at odd hours - possibly another upside of being in the club so to speak.

Delhi International Airport is relatively new - there was still considerable construction going on exactly a year ago. Arrivals hall was very quiet compared to the zoo at BOM. The downside of that is that BA didn't have a proper lounge - I think the lounges were a work in progress - so you ended up in a dreadful sports bar with thumping music. Hopefully that's changed.

Both my flights to DEL were CS last year - I took the overnight in both directions and slept very well. I don't sleep well in CW but there are those here that will argue the toss on that all day long! Catering out of Delhi was pretty 'meh' so I would plan on sleeping all the way given the departure time and eat in Arrivals back at LHR.

But yes, unless you have been to other parts of the developing world, it can be a bit of a shock to the system at first. Hopefully the Monsoon season will be over by October - we usually go in January when the weather is ideal - especially coming from gloomy London (a definite perk). When we were in DEL in May it was ferociously hot.
What about other people's mileage may vary? You have a view but it is no more or no less valid than other people's views. Personally CW is better for lounging than CS and the seat is joined together better than CS. I also find that facing backwards is more conducive for sleep since your head is raised. In CS I have to ensure the seat isn't completely flat in order to be in this position for sleep. But as I say, YMMV. You having a different view isn't arguing the toss, just as those having a contrary view to yours aren't.
Old May 18, 2024, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to add to this, although my info may be slightly out of date, do have a pen ready when you get to arrivals. In theory it is more electronic now, but don't be surprised if you need to fill out a form.

I personally always liked the flights that got in at midnightish (I often did Emirates from MAN). Usually meant I was in bed by 2am, latish start (if you are visiting a company where they mainly work with the UK, they don't start early, so that they align better with the UK). All depends on how well you sleep on flights.

As others have said, get a car booked. Certainly with the company I used to travel with, the hotel included a car transfer - but I had to reach out to them to get it booked.

Also worth you getting a local driver booked for the entirety of your stay. I used to use Avis through work - never a great car, but having someone to drive you around was great. You just phoned / texted them.

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.