Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to spend 5 hours in IAH burdened with luggage

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2024, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

How to spend 5 hours in IAH burdened with luggage

I have a long connection in Houston (IAH): arriving on United domestic flight at 4pm and departing on British Airways flight at 9pm.
Unfortunately, I have lots of luggage (2 huge suitcases).
What are my options for enjoying 5 hours in IAH between the flights?
I know that BA check-in desks in IAH opens about 2.5 hours before departure (so there is no way to drop my bags 5 hours before departure).
I have AmEx Platinum, Priority Pass and BA Gold status but all these are useless if I have to exit the secure area in order to collect my bags after United arrival flight.
Is there a paid VIP transfer service in IAH that will collect my bags from United and drop it to BA on my behalf?

Last edited by Kostya; May 10, 2024 at 7:28 pm Reason: typo
Old May 10, 2024, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Unless both flights are on one ticket, I suspect that you are stuck.
Lefly likes this.
Old May 11, 2024, 6:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
One option would be to ship your luggage so you travel without it.
Old May 11, 2024, 6:53 am
Original Poster

How about this idea:
I collect my bags and leave them at a baggage store facility (there are 2 in IAH) then pass security using my mobile BA boarding pass. Then after spending 3 hours in AmEx Centurion lounge (I can enter it early since I'm a connecting passenger) I exit the terminal, get my bags, drop off my bags to BA counter and go through security again. Will that work? Can I pass security twice using the same boarding pass?
Old May 11, 2024, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
Are Skycaps still a thing? Perhaps they have them curbside at Terminal D, and perhaps they'd be able to check in bags prior to BA's counter opening.
Old May 13, 2024, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by Kostya
How about this idea:
I collect my bags and leave them at a baggage store facility (there are 2 in IAH) then pass security using my mobile BA boarding pass. Then after spending 3 hours in AmEx Centurion lounge (I can enter it early since I'm a connecting passenger) I exit the terminal, get my bags, drop off my bags to BA counter and go through security again. Will that work? Can I pass security twice using the same boarding pass?
That should work in the US.
Kostya likes this.
Old May 20, 2024, 12:25 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by stifle
That should work in the US.
Do not know if it still works, but WAAAAAAAAAAAY back when Term A had separate security for (mostly, maybe all CO and non CO sides) I used to go to President's Club on CO side (of course another change, I'm not sure you can enter without a CO UA flight), and reclear with same BP to other side to fly US Air (of course they would always tell me I am going to the wrong side to fly US Air).

Those were the days ...... hopefully it still works as posted above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.