Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

T5 baggage failure 4 May 2024 - now resolved

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

T5 baggage failure 4 May 2024 - now resolved

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2024, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum (+LTG)
Update

bag never made it even though had 3 different data points - in-flight they told me it was on the next flight (179), at baggage they said it had made it…. Of course it never showed up and AirTag has it still in the baggage area of T5C…

Will check on AirTag in the AM for any movement (still pinging every 30 mins or so).

filled out BA tracer and hopefully it makes it onto tomorrow early flight and my hotel by the evening… big queue of about 40 or so who didn’t make it either….

additional FYI - bags on the BA175 were disrupted as well - few were waiting for the 177 to get in and thier bags had made it onto that….

another eventful day on BA !

Hope others have better luck

BBF
Old May 4, 2024, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Gold
I received a similar email mid flight however I am on BA227 from LHR T3 to ATL. The posts above suggest only T5 was affected.

Could I have made a lucky escape?
Old May 4, 2024, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The baggage sorter fault was only in T5, but there could have been other baggage issues in T3. The obvious question is whether you transferred via T5 to your T3 flight, but if you started at T3 then I think it's unrelated. If you got a message targeted at you for baggage then unfortunately I would expect that there has been a problem for you here.
Old May 4, 2024, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The baggage sorter fault was only in T5, but there could have been other baggage issues in T3. The obvious question is whether you transferred via T5 to your T3 flight, but if you started at T3 then I think it's unrelated. If you got a message targeted at you for baggage then unfortunately I would expect that there has been a problem for you here.
Thank you for the prompt reply. I did start at T3 however I was originally due to start from JER with a B2B positioning flight for a TP run. The flights to and from JER were cancelled so I amended my booking to start at LHR but originally I would’ve transited T5. I’m hoping this is the reason for the email but I should find out in around an hour or so.
Old May 4, 2024, 4:53 pm

Programs: BA, TK, EK
I also received the apology email for potential undelivered bags, on a T3 origin one-sector afternoon departure. My bag arrived as expected as did those of several colleagues on different PNRs.

I suspect there was no issue at T3 and the email was widely distributed.
Old May 4, 2024, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by father_ted
I also received the apology email for potential undelivered bags, on a T3 origin one-sector afternoon departure. My bag arrived as expected as did those of several colleagues on different PNRs.

I suspect there was no issue at T3 and the email was widely distributed.
That’s very reassuring, thank you!

Update: Both bags successfully retrieved from the carousel so suspect this is just a T5 issue.

Last edited by Phinn; May 4, 2024 at 6:51 pm
Old May 4, 2024, 6:04 pm

My mother-in-law just landed in PVK (Preveza, Greece) and none of her party had any bags delivered. Not the best location to be in this situation, especially over Greek Easter…!
Old May 4, 2024, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

AirTag hasn’t pinged since midnight UK time so clearly not many working late over the bank holiday weekend…. Hoping to see it move tomorrow for one of the early NYC flights….
Old May 4, 2024, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was originally scheduled on SAS Saturday with a LHR-ARL-FCO routing. SAS flight ex-LHR was delayed and we (party of 3) were rebooked on BA 556 direct LHR-FCO. The only bags from our flight on the belt at FCO were those that were gate checked at LHR. Airtag indicates that my bag is currently in a facility north of Heathrow Terminal 2 while I am currently in Rome. I can’t say I personally consider the situation “now resolved”.
Old May 4, 2024, 11:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by kale73
I was originally scheduled on SAS Saturday with a LHR-ARL-FCO routing. SAS flight ex-LHR was delayed and we (party of 3) were rebooked on BA 556 direct LHR-FCO. The only bags from our flight on the belt at FCO were those that were gate checked at LHR. Airtag indicates that my bag is currently in a facility north of Heathrow Terminal 2 while I am currently in Rome. I can’t say I personally consider the situation “now resolved”.
Yes, I can certainly see that from your perspective it is very much a problem right now. But the system failure has been resolved and so those leaving on late services yesterday should not be impacted, and the baggage process should now be in place to feed your bags on to a service to FCO today, hopefully. I'm trying to work out why your bags are not in the T5 end of the airport, but I need more coffee to understand that one.
Soeftel likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 1:07 am
Original Poster

Update - bag is on the move and now in central terminal C - hopefully for inclusion on the first LHR-JFK of the day !
Old May 5, 2024, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Planned to be on the 175
Old May 5, 2024, 8:55 am

My journey was San Diego to Heathrow to Gothenburg Sweden, with a 3.5hour layover on May 4th. Me and about 15 people on my last flight didn't get their bags.

My tile (sorry not iPhone user) still shows next to terminal 5. Anyone have any new news? Nothing from my baggage report. Just says tracing.
Old May 5, 2024, 9:20 am

The last update that I've seen, which was from 07:00 hrs today, was that the baggage system is performing normally and that all bags that were in the BRF are in the process of being put into the outgoing flights queue. GOT doesn't have that many flights, but I would expect the bags to be sent to GOT today or tomorrow latest. Welcome to Flyertalk, welcome to the BA forum, and well done for finding the right thread!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 5, 2024, 11:31 am

My bag, which should have flown at 16:35 to BWI yesterday (4 May) is still enjoying an extended visit to the BRF at LHR T5. :-(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.