Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What did we do before Flyer Talk?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2024, 2:16 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprngli Connaisseur
There was rec.travel.* for those in the know.

Originally Posted by ratechaser
You might as well ask what we did before Google.
Infoseek, Altavista, Yahoo, Webcrawler.....
strowger, Sealink and DeathSlam like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by greg5
There was rec.travel.* for those in the know.

Infoseek, Altavista, Yahoo, Webcrawler.....
Newsgroups! I'd forgotten about those.

Those old search engines... I remember Google was a revelation because it was the only one without ads plastered all over its main screen. Such a simple thing that really stood out back then.

Before FlyerTalk I'd just book my tickets at the rack rate via the airline's phone number (13 13 13 for Qantas - which it was in the 1990s and - looking it up there - still is today). I'd generally buy the cheapest flight on the day I wanted, but I was still paying more than I would today. I also remember I was quite particular about getting a window seat down the back. How things change...
Sealink likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 3:03 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by JapesUK
Senility comes to us all at one time or another. Personally I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast
I am uncertain whether it is senility or indifference in my instance. I couldnt care less what I had for breakfast but I was not alone. He looked vaguely familiar however
Old May 3, 2024, 3:05 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Bricks and mortar travel agents
Sealink and T8191 like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:44 am

Without flyertalk, c-w-s with 64000 posts (at 3 min per post, 3200hours) could have been a concert pianist, scratch handicap golfer, olympic athlete….
BA or bust, Sealink, T8191 and 2 others like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:53 am

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
Before coming here I had no idea how much people had to complain about. If whinging were a sport FT would be Premier League.
BA or bust, HIDDY, toothy and 5 others like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 4:55 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Before I started visiting FT, BA had great Customer Service on properly manned phone lines, and real people in their shops. (Yes, they had shops who were manned by people who knew what they were talking about).
When I lived in Belgium in the 90s, the Co I worked for used Amex travel agents, and they were very good.
Plus, the Gold line was answered in seconds.
Crampedin13A and Sealink like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:07 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
KLMuk used to have a forum on its own website, moderated by staff. They once took the regulars out to dinner in London.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
After a quick look at my cave paintings in the cellar, it would seemI joined BAEC in 2007, and FlyerTalk in 2010. Pre-2007 our aviation experiences were largely confined to numerous trips SOU-JER to see family with carriers such as KLM, Jersey European and Flybe (1984-2005). Nothing complicated there! As davidcamp6 notes, just go to local travel agent and buy tickets. After moving to JER in 2005, we started a bit of long-haul with the likes of Virgin and MaxJet, and then established ourselves with BA. I remember using the BA office in St Helier, although I may well have some something clever on-line with my Stone Age computer direct with BA at whatever price they wanted to charge!

2010 and FlyerTalk was the game-changer, of course. Fantastic advice and hot tips meant Silver in 2011, the mysteries of Creative Routing were unveiled, and we became HNL Gold in 2015! And have retained it ever since! All Praise to FlyerTalk!
Sealink likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:33 am
Original Member

On Sunday I will have been on FT for 26 years.

back then the BA executive club had a high minimum level to become a member and was much more focused on corporate travellers with basically no attention to leisure travel.

I remember getting my first status benefit tip, using my Air U.K. membership to gain Hilton Club membership (which was a U.K. scheme separate to the main Hilton scheme) that got me lounge access.
Sealink likes this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:35 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Newsgroups! I'd forgotten about those.
They were pretty useful in the day. And most of us there were academics.

Those old search engines... I remember Google was a revelation because it was the only one without ads plastered all over its main screen. Such a simple thing that really stood out back then.

Before FlyerTalk I'd just book my tickets at the rack rate via the airline's phone number (13 13 13 for Qantas - which it was in the 1990s and - looking it up there - still is today). I'd generally buy the cheapest flight on the day I wanted, but I was still paying more than I would today. I also remember I was quite particular about getting a window seat down the back. How things change...
I had a class on air transportation (and other on shipping), so I learned a few things from there. I was creative about flying SBA-SEA when I was in grad school. I'd add in PDX, or drive up and visit my aunt at SJC, or take a van down to LAX depending on the prices. I would only go to travel agents who would show me the screen, and then we'd tweak the flights until I got a good price.

Eventually, I found some consolidators who would sell surplus flights from tour agencies. I got some great deals via JetSet Travel going down to NZ on UA. The only bad thing was ending up on United Shuttle/Ted. They'd always set me up with good seats as well.
FlightDetective and Sealink like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, A3 Gold
There was a time in this Fair Land (with apologies to Gordon Lightfoot) when I used a 286 machine with DOS and a diaĺ-up modem. In those days - early 1990s - newsgroups were the way to get info. PINE was my text reader.

Times have moved on and I still fly to get from A to B. But I no longer have the joys of my life that I had then: wife, 2 sons, mortgage, a dog, etc.
Retired to Portugal and flying (strategically), and mostly in Business class with BA/OW and A3/*A. No longer in "cheapest is best" mode.

Reading about offerings of food/beverages is always a source of amusement when I reflect on my RCAF flights in Dakotas and Hirculese aircraft, eating box lunches.
Old May 3, 2024, 6:59 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Flights and hotels booked on Expedia. When a CO flight back to LHR from EWR was over-sold and they were looking for volunteers to go the following morning in J came along and I didn't look back. I then started googling how to fly J on a 20-something music educator's budget and stumbled on FT. Within 6 months I was flying my first BA F.
BA or bust and Sealink like this.

Last edited by gustavmahler; May 3, 2024 at 8:21 am
Old May 3, 2024, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Heyden
Before coming here I had no idea how much people had to complain about. If whinging were a sport FT would be Premier League.

Before the internet was around I'd just moan about my poor flying experiences to people I knew. They probably thought I was a right pain in the bum as many of them rarely flew so weren't at all interested.
BA or bust, Sealink and Heyden like this.
Old May 3, 2024, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by tmac100

Reading about offerings of food/beverages is always a source of amusement when I reflect on my RCAF flights in Dakotas and Hirculese aircraft, eating box lunches.
Oh, don't knock the mighty Herk. A lovely trip from UK to Little Rock, Arkansas {via other places), with my string hammock slung over the beams above the ramp. A bit cold, but the swaying of the Dutch roll lulled me to sleep happily. The Lunch boxes were standard Mil Cr*p, though!
tmac100, Sealink and Tocsin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.