Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Downgrade from jfk to lhr business to premium

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgrade from jfk to lhr business to premium

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2024, 3:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Yes there is. It’s what I booked. The rest is a slap on the wrist for BA otherwise they get no sanction and can downgrade at will.
You could cancel - the refund of 75% is a sanction

It is lucky that UK has implemented a version of EC261 or the airline could get away with paying much less for a downgrade

Once downgraded and entitled to 75% back, there is no reason at all for credit for the original fare
Old May 1, 2024, 3:28 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
This is where I would never accept a downgrade. The fare is low and BA have almost certainly calculated that when considering which pax to downgrade. A fare of around 1300 return, minus 200 in taxes leaves only about 550 each way. JFK-LHR is about half the distance resulting in a reimbursement of 75% of around 275, so £209.

A much better solution to these downgrades would be issuing a space available upgrade for the passenger to upgrade another flight. But I would be refusing the downgrade and charging BA for a hotel until they could send me in J. JFK-LHR is not like it’s a one flight per week route.
Old May 1, 2024, 5:11 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
<snip>

Once downgraded and entitled to 75% back, there is no reason at all for credit for the original fare
We will have to disagree. 75% back can be very little and the calculation is opaque. My opinion is different from yours.
Tafflyer likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 5:27 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
A much better solution to these downgrades would be issuing a space available upgrade for the passenger to upgrade another flight. But I would be refusing the downgrade and charging BA for a hotel until they could send me in J. JFK-LHR is not like it’s a one flight per week route.
I would take the same approach, but could BA in theory refuse, both in terms of letting you wait until the next flight in J was available (potentially a day or two later), and in subsequently paying your hotel bill? Wouldn't they be able to argue that they were fulfilling their obligations by offering you an earlier flight home, albeit in a lower cabin?
Old May 1, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ScruttonStreet
I would take the same approach, but could BA in theory refuse, both in terms of letting you wait until the next flight in J was available (potentially a day or two later), and in subsequently paying your hotel bill? Wouldn't they be able to argue that they were fulfilling their obligations by offering you an earlier flight home, albeit in a lower cabin?
No. The rules are that they must transport you under similar conditions. That is widely interpreted as being in the same cabin. Theoretically, they could put you in somebody else’s business cabin without lie-flats but the scope for that between JFK and LHR is not (yet) there.
Old May 1, 2024, 6:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

No. The rules are that they must transport you under similar conditions. That is widely interpreted as being in the same cabin. Theoretically, they could put you in somebody else’s business cabin without lie-flats but the scope for that between JFK and LHR is not (yet) there.
Where does it mention that anywhere in relation to downgrades. For downgrades there is simply a statement on reimbursement entitlement

It is only for delays/cancellations where there is reference to conditions
Old May 1, 2024, 6:54 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
The OP has clearly stated that this was as a result of a flight cancellation. Seems pretty black-and-white to me, so I'm sure you'll concur .
Koru Flyer and seanp7 like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:30 am

Programs: BA, Accor, Hilton, ITA
I always thought it was 75% of the fares on the day of travel, not when you booked.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Whatever the rights and wrongs, returning £102 for a downgrade from a flatbed seat with lounge access to a normal seat without lounge access on an overnight flight does nothing to deter the operating carrier from making an effort to fulfil their obligations to the paying customer.
ThatT1Feeling likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by cheshirepete
I always thought it was 75% of the fares on the day of travel, not when you booked.
It's based on your fare as paid by the passenger, related to distance, and airlines are able to charge taxes and official fees. More information in the main EC261 thread, but it's nowhere near 75% of the money the passenger spent. WIth the details we could be more precise, but £102 may not be wrong.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:43 am

Where does it mention that anywhere in relation to downgrades. For downgrades there is simply a statement on reimbursement entitlement

The OP's booked service was cancelled and he was rebooked and downgraded.

He is entitled to rebooking under similar conditions, compensation of 600 EUR under EU261 subject to the cancellation not being due to extraordinary circumstances as well as reimbursement for accepting the downgrade. I would not have accepted the downgrade but would have waited at BA's expense until they reroute me in J or better.
Old May 1, 2024, 7:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I would not have accepted the downgrade but would have waited at BA's expense until they reroute me in J or better.
We don't know if the OP had to travel that night and couldn't push to the next day, but I'm with you and other posters: I would not accept anything less than J on the reroute, (next day or otherwise), and accommodation, and UK261 compensation...
Old May 1, 2024, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's based on your fare as paid by the passenger, related to distance, and airlines are able to charge taxes and official fees. More information in the main EC261 thread, but it's nowhere near 75% of the money the passenger spent. WIth the details we could be more precise, but £102 may not be wrong.
I do suspect GBP 102 is incorrect. The charm of those ex-DUB tickets is the low(ish) YQ and the LAS-LHR sector will have a fare of GBP 431 and a total YQ of GBP 180-220 depending on when the ticket was purchased. These fares are with a 180-day advance purchase, so I assume YQ nearer to GBP 180. I suspect a reimbursement of around GBP 205-210 based on Mennens. Certainly nothing near what BA would charge for an upgrade, so therefore IMHO worth waiting out the J availability. BA are often lazy when it comes to rerouting and a phone call requesting hotel approval and uploading the first night's hotel receipt often kick-starts the flexibility to reroute.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:32 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, Miles & Smiles, Skyteam, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honours
Originally Posted by xenole
If BA had offered a POUG from premium economy to business, it would have been maybe £550 for JFK-LHR, so £100+ seems a bit derogative here.
I did an AUP on JFK to LHR from WTP to CW and it cost me £778. This was this past weekend.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Ba gold,honours diamond,spg Platinum,Marriott Platium
Here is details I have booked on 20th August all business class
dub-lhr ba 831 20th feb ,lhr -Clt-Tpa all ba flight numbers
20th March aa2002 las-lax,lax-jfk ba4698,jfk -lhr ba 114 got cancelled due to problem in lhr ,got put on next ba flight in premium approx 1230 am on 21st march
last flight ba 0412 lhr to agp.
price was £1644+tax/fee/charge £941.40 total £2585.40 for 2 passengers
this is only breakdown I have .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.