Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge on Arrival EDI

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sydtogla
any advice?
Book a flexible ticket on a later BA service returning to LHR and forget to take it, so you can legitimately access the lounge? Or head over to the DoubleTree and take your call from the lobby or bar?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:13 am

The Nero next to gate 22 or so has always been quiet / empty.

Otherwise the Pret or Nero upstairs prior to departure 'might' offer a quiet(er) corner.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:16 am
Ambassador: Emirates
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: QF P1 + LTS, EK Gold, BAEC Gold, QR Gold, IHG Ambassador
The dragons at EDI might be the most miserable on the network. The person today was sat with noise cancelling headphones on and I asked if she would humour me by way of experiment. Seemed a bit frustrated simply to have to interact. I mean it was all fine, no one was mean per se, but just a very obviously disinterested person. A shame as the morning lounge staff in EDI are very kind and welcoming.

And just FYI - My LHR-EDI boarding pass was scanned and it did give me a big green tick - but the call was cancelled so I didn't go in. A hidden easter egg? Maybe. Possibly scanned in as a guest of the last legitimate entry? Also likely.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
the staff get these requests frequently

you will not e the first person that has asked , you will not be the last

hence the feeling of disinterest from the staff member, who, despite the uniform, does not work for BA
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Do any of the PP lounges at EDI offer entry from an arrival plane?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 8:49 am
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scottishpoet

hence the feeling of disinterest from the staff member, who, despite the uniform, does not work for BA
Yes it looked like a Swissport uniform or something similar. Little sympathy for poor customer service I'm afraid. Wish I had the liberty to take that sort of attitude to work with me!
Old Apr 25, 2024, 10:14 am

Yes it looked like a Swissport uniform or something similar. Little sympathy for poor customer service I'm afraid. Wish I had the liberty to take that sort of attitude to work with me!
you know you were not permitted access so why even bother?
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:36 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by scottishpoet

Quite frightful and dreary the EDI contracted lounge staff are. BA they surely are not but BAD they are.
ajamieson likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC
Just from this thread it seems you have the sass to ask for things you know you shouldn’t or were advised you couldn’t do. I hope you don’t take that to work!
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It does seem some peoples approach to good customer service is agents not getting annoyed at requests which many others have tried on in the past despite it not being allowed, and then agreeing to something the passenger knows is not in the rules. But of course it is all the agents fault according to the passenger

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 25, 2024 at 2:13 pm
Old Apr 25, 2024, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by sigma421
Walk to the Moxy/Hampton Inn and sit in the lobby/bar?
IDK, Moxy lobby/bar area was rather noisy when I was in it in December, but that was early evening. There is the area “around the corner” that might just do in a pinch.
Old Apr 25, 2024, 11:45 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
Just from this thread it seems you have the sass to ask for things you know you shouldn’t or were advised you couldn’t do. I hope you don’t take that to work!
As my main airline is QF, and I fly across a lot of OW carriers, it is somewhat confusing. Arrival entry at domestic lounges is a published benefit for QF Plat/Plat 1. In ports where security allows it, Admirals club allows AA pax to use the lounges on arrival. I thought there may genuinely have been a grey area and the 'same day of travel' rule might apply.

No sass from me. I'm much more polite in real life than I am on this board - and hopefully you are too!
ExpatExp, nancypants and taranty like this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 1:50 am

It’s not entirely without precedent to rely on an inbound boarding pass to grant lounge access e.g. a non-GGL flying in to LHR in F and connecting on to a CE flight can access the CCR on the basis of their inbound F boarding pass. Of course, the key difference there is having (any) outbound flight. OP asked the question, chanced their arm, and got their answer.
sydtogla likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the lounge on arrival entitlement comes from airlines where there was/is a paid membership option e.g. AA and QF. BA hasn't in my flying lifetime offered anything like that, hence why they are departure only lounges...also QF and AA have much larger domestic operations where arrivals and departures typically aren't segregated making it physically more feasible to use a lounge on arrival.
Old Apr 26, 2024, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I think the lounge on arrival entitlement comes from airlines where there was/is a paid membership option e.g. AA and QF. BA hasn't in my flying lifetime offered anything like that, hence why they are departure only lounges...also QF and AA have much larger domestic operations where arrivals and departures typically aren't segregated making it physically more feasible to use a lounge on arrival.
I think it's also because it's just a quirk of a few routes that make lounges available on arrival on BA (it's literally just EDI, GLA and ABZ right?) whereas for QF and AA there is conceivably more scope to offer this widely.
Swanhunter likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.